Tires rubbing on LCA at full lock

Anything that has to do with wheels and tires goes here. Will a wheel fit? Ask it here. Will a tire fit your wheel? Ask it here.
Cdyt7717
n00b

Tires rubbing on LCA at full lock

Post by Cdyt7717 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:35 am

So I went out and bought a set of wheels for my new to me neon the other day. A set of 17x7.5's that "came off of a neon". Two wheels had used 225/45/17 tires mounted so I mounted them up for a test fit. Of course, they clear the spring perches fine, but the tires rub the lower control arms pretty bad close to full lock. I pulled the tire and wheel off, and just mounted up a wheel, it clears everything.. just barley. Is there anything you guys are doing for the tires to clear the LCA's at full lock, other than just spacers/different offset wheels? It appears that maybe an aftermarket tubular LCA would clear just fine, even thought of modding a pair to clear. I have a feeling to get these to fit, I'll probably have to mod the LCA's and run a spacer but I couldn't find any posts where someone had run into this before, I know I'm not the first.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Tires rubbing on LCA at full lock

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm

SRT tire size. The SRT doesn't turn as tight, so it isn't an issue there. Assuming you have a non SRT.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Cdyt7717
n00b

Post by Cdyt7717 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:59 pm

So I swapped out the 225/45/17's that were on the wheels for a set of 215/45/17's that my dad had laying around the shop. They fit, although they are close, they do not rub at all. No spacers, or modifications needed, despite what I was thinking. Wheels are 17x7.5 with about a 45mm offset.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:26 pm

They put thicker stops in the SRT (and maybe the R/T) steering gears. The SRT and R/T also have a slower ratio. They dumbed down the steering on them, so inexperienced drivers wouldn't crash as easily.

2gn R/T's and SRT's have 18:1 ratio, and at least the SRT has a bigger turning radius, so the tires won't rub. The regular neons are 16:1 ratio.

1gn's are the opposite. ACR's and R/T's have the quicker ratio. (Just to clarify)
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:29 pm

That 45 mm offset is meant for Subarus. A 35 mm offset would fit more tire sizes on a Neon.

I always hated the turning radius on the SRT. Apparently you can switch to early base PT knuckles for a smaller turning radius, without losing the SRT brakes.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Return to “Wheels / Tires”