Tires rubbing on LCA at full lock

Anything that has to do with wheels and tires goes here. Will a wheel fit? Ask it here. Will a tire fit your wheel? Ask it here.
Cdyt7717
n00b

Tires rubbing on LCA at full lock

Post by Cdyt7717 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:35 am

So I went out and bought a set of wheels for my new to me neon the other day. A set of 17x7.5's that "came off of a neon". Two wheels had used 225/45/17 tires mounted so I mounted them up for a test fit. Of course, they clear the spring perches fine, but the tires rub the lower control arms pretty bad close to full lock. I pulled the tire and wheel off, and just mounted up a wheel, it clears everything.. just barley. Is there anything you guys are doing for the tires to clear the LCA's at full lock, other than just spacers/different offset wheels? It appears that maybe an aftermarket tubular LCA would clear just fine, even thought of modding a pair to clear. I have a feeling to get these to fit, I'll probably have to mod the LCA's and run a spacer but I couldn't find any posts where someone had run into this before, I know I'm not the first.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Tires rubbing on LCA at full lock

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm

SRT tire size. The SRT doesn't turn as tight, so it isn't an issue there. Assuming you have a non SRT.
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

Cdyt7717
n00b

Post by Cdyt7717 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:59 pm

So I swapped out the 225/45/17's that were on the wheels for a set of 215/45/17's that my dad had laying around the shop. They fit, although they are close, they do not rub at all. No spacers, or modifications needed, despite what I was thinking. Wheels are 17x7.5 with about a 45mm offset.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:26 pm

They put thicker stops in the SRT (and maybe the R/T) steering gears. The SRT and R/T also have a slower ratio. They dumbed down the steering on them, so inexperienced drivers wouldn't crash as easily.

2gn R/T's and SRT's have 18:1 ratio, and at least the SRT has a bigger turning radius, so the tires won't rub. The regular neons are 16:1 ratio.

1gn's are the opposite. ACR's and R/T's have the quicker ratio. (Just to clarify)
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:29 pm

That 45 mm offset is meant for Subarus. A 35 mm offset would fit more tire sizes on a Neon.

I always hated the turning radius on the SRT. Apparently you can switch to early base PT knuckles for a smaller turning radius, without losing the SRT brakes.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Return to “Wheels / Tires”