Tirerack steel wheels - OEM hubcaps fit?

Anything that has to do with wheels and tires goes here. Will a wheel fit? Ask it here. Will a tire fit your wheel? Ask it here.
jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Tirerack steel wheels - OEM hubcaps fit?

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:14 pm

On Tirerack.com, they have a disclaimer that your OEM hubcaps probably won't fit on their aftermarket steel wheels. As far as using their hubcaps, I can't imagine that they're any different than the crap they sell at Autozone and Walmart.

Does anybody have steelies from Tirerack and have you tried using your stock hubcaps with them? I'm sure that on cars with fancy wheel covers that attach with the lug nuts might not work, but your regular hubcaps that just get shoved in... I can't see why they wouldn't work.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - 200k+ miles, still love it
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going to Drive my Neon till it Dies" Club #148

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi, Jon,

For the Chry.Imperial Aluminum rims that I run in the winter, I use the factory Neon hubcaps, with the 'screw-on' lugnut caps.

The 'snap-type' of hubcap (the ones with the spring steel ring that 'snaps' into place) won't work on the Chry. Aluminum rims, since it lacks the 'crevice' that regular steel rims have, for the hubcap to snap into.

Here's is the one that I prefer to run, to give an idea:
http://goo.gl/QqKTb

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/graphics ... /wc521.jpg

They work great, because they are held on by the lug nut caps.
You'll need to run the lug nuts that have 'threading' cut onto the O.D. - If you don't have these already.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

04R/T
2GN Member

Post by 04R/T » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 am

Look at the cutout for the valve stem on the OE hubcap above. With the OE screw on hubcap, the valve stem lines up with the cutout, on the aftermarket wheel, usually the valve stem hole is not drilled in the same location as the stock wheel so the valve stem won't line up with the cutout on the OE hubcap.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 am

NickKo wrote:Hi, Jon,

For the Chry.Imperial Aluminum rims that I run in the winter, I use the factory Neon hubcaps, with the 'screw-on' lugnut caps.

The 'snap-type' of hubcap (the ones with the spring steel ring that 'snaps' into place) won't work on the Chry. Aluminum rims, since it lacks the 'crevice' that regular steel rims have, for the hubcap to snap into.

Here's is the one that I prefer to run, to give an idea:
http://goo.gl/QqKTb

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/graphics ... /wc521.jpg

They work great, because they are held on by the lug nut caps.
You'll need to run the lug nuts that have 'threading' cut onto the O.D. - If you don't have these already.

- Nick
Something I forgot to mention:
To run the 'screw on' factory hubcaps with the aluminum rims, I have to cut off the 'tangs' on the back, which would allow the hubcap to 'snap' into place onto the rim crevice. ( There's no rim crevice on the Chry.Imperial aluminum rims )
I have never lost a hubcap after doing this, & they stay on just fine, despite the 'tangs' being removed.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Wheels / Tires”