Tires being shredded near middle from being lowered

Anything that has to do with wheels and tires goes here. Will a wheel fit? Ask it here. Will a tire fit your wheel? Ask it here.
mrsixstrings12
2GN Member

Tires being shredded near middle from being lowered

Post by mrsixstrings12 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:11 am

Hey everyone. I took my wheel off to roll my front fender yesterday and noticed that near the center (more towards the inside) was being torn up a bit by something. So i took a peak inside the fender and there was some metal sticking down, like it is part of the car not just some random thing. Is there something i can do to help prevent this in the future? The plastic piece in the fender (having a blank on what its called :lol: ) is shredded up top which is what revealed this metal "thing"

2003 Neon SE

slowpeon
2GN Member

Post by slowpeon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Easiest way to stop it is to raise your car up a little.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't think it's "some random thing"... I think what you are referring to is the pinch weld above the plastic liner. Don't go telling people, but I made slits in mine every inch or so with a grinder and folded the pinch weld over. UH-OH! no more rubbing.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

mrsixstrings12
2GN Member

Post by mrsixstrings12 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:03 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:I don't think it's "some random thing"... I think what you are referring to is the pinch weld above the plastic liner. Don't go telling people, but I made slits in mine every inch or so with a grinder and folded the pinch weld over. UH-OH! no more rubbing.
hah i couldnt really think of what to call it. i take it that isn't bad to do?

2003 Neon SE

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Nah it's fine to do it. Most people would recommend you getting it re-welded, but a handful of people haven't and haven't really ran into many problems. The problems would arise later down the road after water and salt live in there for a little while.
So many neons so little time.

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:59 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:I don't think it's "some random thing"... I think what you are referring to is the pinch weld above the plastic liner. Don't go telling people, but I made slits in mine every inch or so with a grinder and folded the pinch weld over. UH-OH! no more rubbing.
I did this..
Last edited by ThatKevin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Haha this guy's an asshole.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:
Haha this guy's an asshole.
:lildick:

All I'm saying is I haven't noticed any detrimental effects on performance or handling with cutting the pinch welds...

It is still able to handle perfectly when parked in the garage.

Return to “Wheels / Tires”