anyone any input on Falken Ziex 912 tire..?

Anything that has to do with wheels and tires goes here. Will a wheel fit? Ask it here. Will a tire fit your wheel? Ask it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

anyone any input on Falken Ziex 912 tire..?

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 pm

was looking at tires, finally after a lot of time of research found the ones i want, the Falken Ziex 912. finding tires in a 14" is hard let alone finding a nice performance one but I managed to find this in my size. and after rebate and discounts I can get all 4 for $230 shipped.


anyone got any input on this tire..?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:24 am
Location: IL./WI.border

Post by NickKo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Here is some info, from 'The.Org':

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=340397

I have these on the 2000 Neon.
My only regret, is not getting the size I wanted, but as you said..... 14 in. tires are getting hard to come by, except only in 'common' sizes.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:09 pm

^ yeah I was glad to find them in the size I wanted. plus im only using these in summer time not winter as I got some winter tires as we speak. I think I will buy them and post a review uo this summer as I put some miles on them.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

User avatar
nerox
2011 Silver Contributor
Posts: 939
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by nerox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:31 am

i had 4 of those on my neon for a couple of years and they are pretty damn good.

replaced the front 2 with Eagle F1 when they wore down, which aren't as good in the wet. (still have the 912s on the rear)

i took some pretty tight fast corners with those tyres and never had a slide in the dry so 5/5 review from me.

and they're about 1/2 the price of the F1's
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

Image

ragek23
2GN Member
Posts: 2476
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Torrington, CT

Post by ragek23 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 pm

I enjoyed the falken 512s quite a bit if you can find them. I believe they are cheaper than the 912s.

Try here:
http://www.vulcantire.com/

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

Image

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 am

ragek23 wrote:I enjoyed the falken 512s quite a bit if you can find them. I believe they are cheaper than the 912s.

Try here:
http://www.vulcantire.com/
No I couldn't find those in my size. I heard those wore out pretty quick.. That's why I chose to find the 912 because I read mostly good reviews on it.

See right now on my winter wheels I have 185/70 on there. I don't like the sidewall height of them so I'm wanting 185/60 which I did find in the 912 special order from discount tire direct.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19150
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:53 am

Did you try to find 195/60's? 185/60 is going to be really short. The 195/60 14's I had would let my front fascia drag on about everything. They are just a tad smaller than the 185 65 14's
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 am
Location: Boerne, TX
Contact:

Post by theColonel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:48 am

occasional demons wrote:Did you try to find 195/60's? 185/60 is going to be really short. The 195/60 14's I had would let my front fascia drag on about everything. They are just a tad smaller than the 185 65 14's
195/60-14 tires work fine on the 1999 neon R/T, as well as the 2005 Neon SXT in my family. Handling is much better than 185/60-15 tires from the factory on the 2005 SXT.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs
https://www.facebook.com/srtlh/media_se ... 738&type=3

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 pm

occasional demons wrote:Did you try to find 195/60's? 185/60 is going to be really short. The 195/60 14's I had would let my front fascia drag on about everything. They are just a tad smaller than the 185 65 14's
no. i kinda want a short tire.. see before i had 175/65 because of previous oner and the rears had 185/70.. so i want a tire close to 175/65 which would make the 185/60 almost the same as it. am i correct..? or wrong. and maybe i could get for the rear 195/60 giving me the same look i had before.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

User avatar
INVUJerry
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6480
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:53 pm

I had the 912's before and liked them. I agree on the 195/6th size idea. It's what I run on my 1gn.
Image
So many neons so little time.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:24 am
Location: IL./WI.border

Post by NickKo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 am

occasional demons wrote:Did you try to find 195/60's? 185/60 is going to be really short. The 195/60 14's I had would let my front fascia drag on about everything. They are just a tad smaller than the 185 65 14's
Discussing tire size...
I ended up going with 195/65R14, when I ordered the ZE-912's...
Which is a tad bit (approx. 1in. overall) 'taller'.

They fit absolutely fine.... But I still wish I was able to order these in my 'preferred' size for a Neon (205/60R14).
Alas, that size is not available, for the 912's..... :(


That being said, going with a 'taller' tire, will give the car a bigger & better 'footprint' for traction - Although that will compromise acceleration a bit.
Gaining some traction, lose some acceleration... :-k




The next time I buy tires for the car, I will probably end up having to make a switch over to 15 in. rims, to get the size & profile that I am looking for.


- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 am
Location: Boerne, TX
Contact:

Post by theColonel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:44 am

NickKo wrote:Discussing tire size...
I ended up going with 195/65R14, when I ordered the ZE-912's...
Which is a tad bit (approx. 1in. overall) 'taller'.

They fit absolutely fine.... But I still wish I was able to order these in my 'preferred' size for a Neon (205/60R14).
Alas, that size is not available, for the 912's..... :(

That being said, going with a 'taller' tire, will give the car a bigger & better 'footprint' for traction - Although that will compromise acceleration a bit.
Gaining some traction, lose some acceleration... :-k

The next time I buy tires for the car, I will probably end up having to make a switch over to 15 in. rims, to get the size & profile that I am looking for.

- Nick
:thumbup: When you go to 15" wheels opt for 7" rims ... on my SRT-4 I used 205/60-15 tires and the handling was better than 205/50-17 tires
on the factory 17X6 rims ... on a normal Neon use 205/55-15 tires, because 60 profile tires won't clear the struts
Last edited by theColonel on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/srtlh/media_se ... 738&type=3

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:24 am
Location: IL./WI.border

Post by NickKo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 am

theColonel wrote: When you go to 15" wheels opt for 7" rims ... on my SRT-4 I used 205/60-15 tires and the handling was better than 205/50-17 tires
on the factory 17X6 rims ... on the SXT I used 205/55-15 tires because 60 profile tires wouldn't clear the struts :thumbup:
Excellent... Thanks for the tips, much appreciated !! :thumbup: :thumbup:


- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:38 pm

OK so I thought about it and I'm going to go with 185//60 up front and 195/60 in the rear but then realized if I do that then it will rub on my rear fender unless I add camber or roll fender.. I can do both I'm on coilovers.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:35 pm

So I bought the tires. Won't be put on till we get summer like weather but once I get to putting miles on them I'll post up a review of then on here. Till then that is all.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:13 pm

I THINK this is the tire everyone in the stretching world rocks. I THINK.
el. oh. el.

User avatar
INVUJerry
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6480
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 am

theColonel wrote:
NickKo wrote:Discussing tire size...
I ended up going with 195/65R14, when I ordered the ZE-912's...
Which is a tad bit (approx. 1in. overall) 'taller'.

They fit absolutely fine.... But I still wish I was able to order these in my 'preferred' size for a Neon (205/60R14).
Alas, that size is not available, for the 912's..... :(

That being said, going with a 'taller' tire, will give the car a bigger & better 'footprint' for traction - Although that will compromise acceleration a bit.
Gaining some traction, lose some acceleration... :-k

The next time I buy tires for the car, I will probably end up having to make a switch over to 15 in. rims, to get the size & profile that I am looking for.

- Nick
:thumbup: When you go to 15" wheels opt for 7" rims ... on my SRT-4 I used 205/60-15 tires and the handling was better than 205/50-17 tires
on the factory 17X6 rims ... on a normal Neon use 205/55-15 tires, because 60 profile tires won't clear the struts
205/60/15 are also a full inch shorter than 205/50/17. 24" vs 25" tall.

A better quality tire in stock size would be better over a 205/60.

A 225/50/15 on a 7" wide tire would probably be better than all performance wise and it would look better.
Neon4Life wrote:OK so I thought about it and I'm going to go with 185//60 up front and 195/60 in the rear but then realized if I do that then it will rub on my rear fender unless I add camber or roll fender.. I can do both I'm on coilovers.
Are you talking about 14" wheels? Because if so you won't be anywhere close to rubbing in the rear with 195/60 even dumped to hell.
Image
So many neons so little time.

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 am

^yes 14inch wheels
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

User avatar
INVUJerry
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6480
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Neon4Life wrote:^yes 14inch wheels
This is my nyg on ksport coils. Not as low as it could have been obviously but even if I went lower I wasn't near the rear fenders at all.

Image

The rear is just sitting lower because of how the car was parked.
Image
So many neons so little time.

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 am

^ thanks for that picture. then i have nothing to worry about.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

User avatar
INVUJerry
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6480
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 am

Those tires are 195/60 all around. All I like to run on my 1gns.
Image
So many neons so little time.

Post Reply

Return to “Wheels / Tires”