Ohio E-Check And E-85

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
relenger
2GN Member

Ohio E-Check And E-85

Post by relenger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:09 am

So i was told Ohio does E-Check's. I was woundering if i run E-85 for the check if that would be a better idea???
Are the checks the same for a Car running E-85?
Do they have a CAT?
2.4 DOHC TURBO, Pro-Racig 3" Exhaust, Charge pipes, Pro-Racing Built Engine and Head
"My lug nuts have more torque then your honda!!"

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am

Emissions? It will probably be cleaner emissions on e85, but if it's OBD2 readiness check, then it won't matter at all.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

relenger
2GN Member

Post by relenger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 am

esteinmaier wrote:Emissions? It will probably be cleaner emissions on e85, but if it's OBD2 readiness check, then it won't matter at all.
Thats what i was thinking... As far as the OBD2 readiness check. How does that work if they cant connect at all??? Im running a AEM EMS http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine-ma ... ms-ems-10/

They do the test with the car running or can you turn it off and they just check for codes????
2.4 DOHC TURBO, Pro-Racig 3" Exhaust, Charge pipes, Pro-Racing Built Engine and Head

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:26 am

If they can't connect to the car, you fail.

I doubt there are ways around it because of the federal emissions laws.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:32 am

E-Check = Emissions in Ohio. Not all of Ohio is required to do E-Check. About 4-5 years ago several parts of the state eliminated the program with only the Cleveland area still keeping it on...

http://epa.ohio.gov/dapc/echeck/whyeche ... n_cos.aspx

If you aren't moving to the Cleveland area you won't need to do the E-Check based on what I remember.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

relenger
2GN Member

Post by relenger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:42 am

Diablo0 wrote:E-Check = Emissions in Ohio. Not all of Ohio is required to do E-Check. About 4-5 years ago several parts of the state eliminated the program with only the Cleveland area still keeping it on...

http://epa.ohio.gov/dapc/echeck/whyeche ... n_cos.aspx

If you aren't moving to the Cleveland area you won't need to do the E-Check based on what I remember.
Yeah, im moving right next to cleveland..... Lake wood i think its called

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am

Then you're going to want to see about applying for a race car exemption.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

relenger
2GN Member

Post by relenger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 pm

esteinmaier wrote:Then you're going to want to see about applying for a race car exemption.
What is that??? would it still be road legal?

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 pm

In IL, it only legally lets you drive on public roads to and from sporting events. Which basically means you are on your own as far as lying to the cop if you get pulled over.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Damn, I was going to recommend collector plates, but they tightened down the rules for them. You may be able to swing them if you had an R/T or an ACR, since the production numbers are lower.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/sp_collector.stm

I guess getting these to avoid E check caught on....
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

neon01rt
2GN Member

Post by neon01rt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 pm

im a emissions inspector in maryland im not sure how much different they do but if the car is a 96 and higher we do obd2 and when you turn the key to on the check engine light should come on and then when u start it, it should go back off and if that happens you pass and if you just recently had disconnected the battery or had work done to it then you would get unset readiness codes but thats the process in maryland not sure about how different it is at your place but hope that helps

relenger
2GN Member

Post by relenger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:24 am

neon01rt wrote:im a emissions inspector in maryland im not sure how much different they do but if the car is a 96 and higher we do obd2 and when you turn the key to on the check engine light should come on and then when u start it, it should go back off and if that happens you pass and if you just recently had disconnected the battery or had work done to it then you would get unset readiness codes but thats the process in maryland not sure about how different it is at your place but hope that helps

Crap...... I wounder how hard it would be to make a program that Ran fake codes to trick the OBD2 code checker...... Do they check the VIN in the dash or the door or do they not check vins???

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 am

Hm. Was not aware ANY of ohio had emissions checking.

glad I'm no where near Cleveland
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

neon01rt
2GN Member

Post by neon01rt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:06 pm

well if its relatively close to what we do they get your tag and last four of the vin and run that through the computer system to bring up your info like year make model passenger or truck best thing to do is unplug your battery b4 u go in and get tested and then your computer wont be ready for testing then leave come back a couple days later and unplug the battery again b4 u go and u should go through at least thats how our system is so im not sure if they are any different there or not

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:43 pm

The last I knew, if it wouldn't pass, you had to show receipts of at least $300 in an attempt to make it acceptable. If it still didn't pass, then they would give you a waver for 2 years to get it repaired or replaced. If it doesn't pass after the two years, you don't get plates.

So, at the worst you're giving a shop $300, and you get a pass for 2 years, and hope you are moved to a non emissions area by then. :D

You could always get a PCM, coil, injectors, all the needed sensors, and build a fake "engine" in the trunk. But if they run it on the dyno, you're hosed, unless you can tie into the VSS to give it a speed/distance signal. If you could link to the PCI buss, it may just work...

Not holding my breath tho.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

neon01rt
2GN Member

Post by neon01rt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:47 pm

so you have the dyno to we just got ours out back in like september the company got 1.5 million just to take them out at 19 different countys and was sold off to somewhere else

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:52 pm

The last time the GF's car was tested, they used the dyno. It is OBDI.

But that was over two years ago.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

mrgto68
2GN Member

Post by mrgto68 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

neon01rt wrote:im a emissions inspector in maryland im not sure how much different they do but if the car is a 96 and higher we do obd2 and when you turn the key to on the check engine light should come on and then when u start it, it should go back off and if that happens you pass and if you just recently had disconnected the battery or had work done to it then you would get unset readiness codes but thats the process in maryland not sure about how different it is at your place but hope that helps
Neon01rt

I've got a question for your regarding engine swaps and MD emissions VEIP check. Here is the scenario... Say you have a 2000 Neon with a complete drivetrain swap from a later 2gn car like an 02 R/T. This includes the PCM for the swapped in drivetrain. When you bring the car to the VEIP station and the car is plugged into be tested the VIN on the car and the registration would be different than the engine PCM. Would this cause the car to fail MD emissions?
Feedback Thread:

viewtopic.php?t=44701

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Don't expect him to come back. He got a little, shall we say pissy last night.

Your best bet is to email him if you want to get in touch with him.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

mrgto68
2GN Member

Post by mrgto68 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 pm

racer12306 wrote:Don't expect him to come back. He got a little, shall we say pissy last night.

Your best bet is to email him if you want to get in touch with him.
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. If you have any thoughts or info on my question I'd be intereested the hear it as I see you are also in MD. I just don't know if they would fail a car where the PCM VIN doesn't match the chassis VIN because of a swap of a later drive train.
Feedback Thread:

viewtopic.php?t=44701

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:56 pm

They wont, they don't go that in depth in testing here. As long as you don't have a CEL, and it does light up with the key on you're fine.

Most of the time, they don't even look at your car's vin here. My buddy got a Cavalier passed using a Cobalt.

Illegal, and I would not recommend it.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah, the couple emissions test I've had done with an OBD-II computer consisted of making sure there was a cat, testing the gas cap and checking for codes.

That was it. My wife recently took her Caliber in for her emissions check and she said they just checked for codes, didn't run a mirror under to check for a cat or anything, just the computer.

I would keep all available documentation just in case though.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Im in the same boat as you man... already a month late on my sticker :(

Do me a favor and try this out :lol:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2607274
Budget Boost FTW