QUICK, I NEED HELP!!!!

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

QUICK, I NEED HELP!!!!

Post by superdan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Copy and pasted this from my progress log, maybe it will get more views this way :roll:

So on friday I made a trip to ryans in pittsburgh. Longest distance I have drove the car since I finished the swap. The trip there and back was flawless other than the fact I need an alignment and I didnt have a radio installed lol

That brings me to the next day. I go and get into my car saturday morning to go to work and about half way to work I notice my check engine light came on. So I get to work and do the key dance and it gives me the p0551 (power steering pressure sensor). So I dont think anything of it, I can fix that on my day off, no biggie. Then not only that I am now getting whining noise coming from the fuel tank....AGAIN. I had it before when I put the walbro 255 in as I was doing my swap and I had the code for the fuel level sensor. When I fixed that the noise went away. Only now I'm not getting a code for it and its making that noise. I really hope the fuel pump isnt crapping out on me as it only has a little over 300 miles on it. It wasnt and still isnt low on fuel. When it started making that noise again on saturday I had a little less than 1/2 a tank and now I have about 3/4 and its still making that noise.

Any suggestions as to why its making this noise? Dirt in the filter? Wiring issue? Fuel pump going bad? Would I get a code for a failing fuel pump or no?

On top of all of that my boost gauge keeps going dim then really bright at random times. I have the AEM digital 30/30 gauge btw...

Awesome time for all of this to be happening.........

EDIT: I should also mention that I am still using the SXT FPR that has about 80k miles on it. Could that be causing the noise?
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Do you have a way to check the fuel pressure?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:48 am

No :(
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 am

Only other quick thing I can think to check is the voltage at the pump, or an amp draw, but IDK what a 225 should normally draw, amperage wise. Not sure of a simple way to measure the running voltage, unless you back probe the connector carefully through the rubber grommets.

Amps, you could do with a jumper at the relay socket.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Ok I will try checking the voltages at the pump. Could the FPR be going bad or already bad as well since its not giving me any codes?
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Without a way to check pressure, it is anyone's guess. I am closing in on 190,000 miles on the original.

But if the voltage is good at the pump, and the amps are higher/lower than spec, it could be the pressure higher/lower than spec causing a different load. But higher amperage doesn't only mean the pressure is higher, it could be the pump motor, or pump too. If there is a voltage loss in the feed circuit, the lower voltage will cause higher amperage.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:29 pm

I see. Well I'm going to test the voltage and amps and check for any wiring problems...I hope I can get this fixed by friday.
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Return to “Emissions”