Failed for OBD readiness

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
RisBMW
n00b

Failed for OBD readiness

Post by RisBMW » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Emissions testing in CT failed my 2002 for "OBD Readiness". The monitoring status failed for Catalyst, O2 Sensor and Secondary Air System.
Connection plug and wires look OK. Anyone have ideas ?
But Dad it's Purple!

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

did you disconnect the battery or have the codes cleared prior to testing. If so drive around 50-100 miles and re-test
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:16 pm

Instead of creating a new thread, I'll just add on to this one since it is the identical issue I am having:

Replaced ECU in October, since October I've driven roughly 1,000 miles.

I tried DEQ in November, was given the "Not Ready" for all of the same areas as OP. Since November I have driven 500-600 more miles, took it back in tonight and it gave the same exact report.

Open to suggestions at this point, I have 1 more month on my temporary trip permit before I can't legally drive any longer so the sooner the better here.

RayWolf
2GN Member

Post by RayWolf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 am

who replaced the ecu?
also I know I can make the DRBIII run the monitors for evap to fool the computer into making it pass emissions.

it could be a dud computer.

Also take it on a 30 to 100 mile one long contentious trip not stopping to turn off the engine from the time you cold start it.

thats how i pass cars at work for emmissions.
Quotes to live by

"Try again, fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett

"The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you will see." Winston Churchill

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein

"Try not. Do or do not." Yoda

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 am

I replaced the computer myself. I took for granted that the car was running to mean that the computer was in good working order.

It runs great, I might add. Other than that is says that none of the sensors are 'ready.'

The last time I ran to the DMV I believe I drove 10 miles from cold start, but it was 5:00 through city so it took approximately 45 minutes without turning off the engine. Lots of stop and go with a small amount of freeway.

I have a warranty on the PCM so I could get a replacement, but that would put the car out of commission for a few weeks which be seriously inconvenient. But if I have to, I have to.

RayWolf
2GN Member

Post by RayWolf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:57 am

that's odd because you have to program the vin and everything into the pcm when you replace it with the drbIII

maybe thats why its not running the monitors because it does not know its own vin
Quotes to live by

"The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you will see." Winston Churchill

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 am

Well since we don't know what year rehack's neon is, if it is non SKIM, and pre 2003, PCM's are plug and play.

And even occasionally, you get lucky and get a SKIM pcm to work in a non SKIM car. (Like me) But mine has had no issues setting the monitors.

So if it is 2002/older, I doubt not having the proper VIN has much to do with it.

Unless the testing station is simply rejecting it just on the grounds that the PCM VIN does not match the body VIN. Which would be BS, IMHO. IDK if they can pull the pcm VIN or not, but that could be one "stick in their butt, trying to shove it in yours" reason.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RayWolf
2GN Member

Post by RayWolf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

I know in PA if the vin on the registration card does not match the vin in the pcm it will flag and fail the car every time its tested till the vin is fixed.
Quotes to live by

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm

RayWolf wrote:I know in PA if the vin on the registration card does not match the vin in the pcm it will flag and fail the car every time its tested till the vin is fixed.
RisBMW wrote:Emissions testing in CT failed my 2002 for "OBD Readiness". The monitoring status failed for Catalyst, O2 Sensor and Secondary Air System.
Connection plug and wires look OK. Anyone have ideas ?

meh, Not really. Those emissions machines are really dumb, let me tell you. Im a licensed inspector in pa ( you may be too for all i know lol)

Op: if your readiness monitor isnt " ready" its because of the following:

1) the vehicle wasnt driven the proper " drive cycle" In which the "not ready " monitor is supposed to read.

If infact you've driven 500-600 miles, i would say at some point by now you have driven through the drive cycle. It usually takes around 50 miles if you are just driving around.

Now with that being said, Some of the monitors will read " n/a" on the emissions machine under readiness status. In that case, obviously your car doesnt have said part on it.

Do you know how to do the key dance? If not look it up. I know alot of times, especially on neons, They will have a code, but will not throw a mil light. If i were you, i would do a key dance and see if theres a code relating to the downstream o2.
If infact your downstream is bad, It can cause your issue.
Haganracing wrote: Love you Cody, even if you fail in life <3
Leighvi424 wrote:omg cody i think u gave me a woodie :P
2004 dodge neon-300whp and counting

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am

Hey guys, I'll address all the questions.

It's a 2002 SXT with SKIM. I received a reflashed PCM from All Computer Resources in October. From October to the time of the first test, I had driven the car maybe 150 miles total.

From the time of the first test to the second test was 3 months and 700+ miles.

No codes showing, and even doing the key dance it indicates there are no codes.

Oregon DMV does nothing more than hook up to the OBD port for 45 seconds, wait for it to say all good or not ready, and then you pay your money and go. They don't inspect anything, they don't pop the hood, they do a quick walk around to make sure it's not billowing smoke or leaking fluids onto the ground below and that is it.

Both times I have taken it to be tested, I have driven from home to the testing station (approx. 10 miles) though the trip, with traffic, can take 30 or 40 minutes. I've never tried driving 100 miles continuously and then to the test station or anything like that.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm

A basic code reader will tell you which monitors are set. You could see what is and isn't setting. Some need a few good hard deceleration cycles to set also. This is a bit tougher to do with a 41te than an MTX, but at least with a 41/40te, you cannot over rev anything. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Emissions”