Another P0202, this one may be human error

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
Arro
2GN Member

Another P0202, this one may be human error

Post by Arro » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:19 pm

A friend was cleaning out the engine bay, used some degreaser and lightly sprayed out the bay with the hose. Not soaked. Just rinsed off key areas. I'm thinking he didn't understand that the computer is in the engine bay because on his car it's in the kick panel.

Started the car up, ran fine for a minute. Then started to throw a bit of white fumes out the tailpipe... not bright white like coolant combusting (steam), but like unburnt fuel. I could smell the fuel even. Get it back and pull the code, P0202. I've read this has something to do with the injectors... is it possible he fried my computer? He insists he didn't get it wet because it was by the filter, but...?

How can I test this? I've found a couple threads here and elsewhere but I don't fully understand them because they aren't in layperson's terms. I understand cars but there are still a lot of things about Neons and SRT's that I don't know.

Edit: I see stuff like "FIC" and "bypass harness" and other things I don't really understand.
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 pm

lol engine bay dried and seems to have gone away.
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:18 am

Possibly #2 injector connector has a bad gasket/seal, or it is missing all together. If it got wet in there, it might have caused enough extra resistance to mess with the injector/circuit.

I would pull the connector off, and have a look in the socket. You might have some corrosion, that could give you headaches down the road.

I doubt he got enough water in there to mess up the PCM connector. The outer part on mine has been broken since 2007, and I have had zero issues from it. I regularly wash my engine bay, being in the rust belt, to keep road salt accumulation from getting too bad.

He might have done you a favor, by showing a weak spot in the wiring, that you may not have known was there. Until it totally failed.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Emissions”