P2096-fuel too lean

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
neon_newbie
n00b

P2096-fuel too lean

Post by neon_newbie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 pm

I have a 2005 neon and the light came on. The only code that's showing up is p2096-post catalyst fuel trim too lean(fuel contamination). This only happened after I put some Lucas fuel injection cleaner in, I don't know if that's the reason the car threw a code but how can I go about fixing this. Do I need to change both o2 sensors? The print out says that the contamination is in "bank 1"....I'm not exactly sure if that means anything but I'm new to this so any help is greatly appreciated.
-Nicole
2005 Dodge Neon
2001 Plymouth Neon (R.I.P)
1998 Dodge Neon (R.I.P)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 am

Have you tried resetting it? Since the Lucas fuel injection cleaner should be gone by now...

Another description of that code: P2096 Signal Delay Time for Oxygen Sensor Ageing - Above Limit

If resetting the PCM does not keep it cleared, you may need a new down stream o2.

Bank 1 just means it is a singe bank of cylinders, if you had a V type engine, there would be bank 1 and bank 2.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

neon_newbie
n00b

Post by neon_newbie » Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 pm

I reset it the day I took it to emissions and it still failed but since then the light hasn't come back on so I'm hoping that did the trick. But I didn't know there was another description of the same code. Thanks for the help ;D

But if I ever do need to replace either o2 sensors, is it difficult to do myself or should I just have a mechanic do it? I have the Haynes manual for reference
-Nicole
2005 Dodge Neon
2001 Plymouth Neon (R.I.P)
1998 Dodge Neon (R.I.P)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm

It isn't too difficult. You can get a socket from a parts store to remove install without damaging the wires.

A 7/8" wrench will work, if you have room to turn it. I find it is helpful to use a wrench to break it loose if it is really tight. The socket doesn't like a lot of torque.

You can cut the wires on the bad one and use a regular deep well socket, but you need the o2 socket, or a wrench to snug down the new one.

A stubby wrench and a hammer to tap it will work to break it loose also, if you had one just lying around. :lol:

Other than that, it is plug and play. No worse than changing a spark plug.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Emissions”