Torque converter circuit electrical HELP!

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
Jakeagere95
n00b

Torque converter circuit electrical HELP!

Post by Jakeagere95 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 am

Hi there guys I've been having a HUGE issue with my car and it not passing emissions... The electrical for the torque converter was faulty I guess I was told by a fellow neon owner to unplug the sender located on the front of the transmission (3 speed auto by the way) and that worked for a while, but not long enough as it turned back on for my way to my emissions retest it failed yet again now I only have one retry left and I would like to know if anybody has had this problem before if I remember correctly the cel code is P0743 I can't remember 100% but I do know the title of the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm

You can get a new TTC solenoid at NAPA or any parts store that carries them in your area. They are generally $25 to $30. You will recoup your money in fuel mileage.

You have to drop the pan, and pull the valve body to change it tho. You could try plugging the new one in, and see if the CEL stays off. But you want to get it replaced sooner than later.

Edit:
I have a NIB NAPA one, if for some reason you cannot locate one. Or if you want, I could measure the resistance of the solenoid coil, and you could get a resistor and wire it in, to make the PCM happy.

As long as the PCM is not looking for a result from switching the TTC solenoid on, it should work. IDK if it looks for an RPM drop to coincide with actuating the TTC solenoid or not.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Jakeagere95
n00b

Post by Jakeagere95 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 pm

It is looking for the rpm drop, how difficult is it to do the job? I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I'm not very good with transmissions... Do you know of any guides or any videos anywhere to help me along?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 am

It is not too bad of a job. If you have a camera, take pics of how the filter is positioned on the valve body, and after filter removal, how the VB is mounted, where the screws go. Or use some carb cleaner/brake clean, and paint marker next to the screws.

You might want to get a new selector shaft seal, in case yours is brittle. (Where the shift lever/kickdown go into the ATX)

Just remove the kickdown/gear selector levers, clean the area around the seal and TTC connectror plug, drop the pan, remove the filter, remove the valve body/TTC soleniod. Replace the solenoid, and reinstall everything.

If you don't have an inch pound torque wrench, just snug everything by hand. It need not be super tight, but tight enough you know it won't back out.

A screw driver, 1/4 drive ratchet, and drain pan are all you need, besides a putty knife or something thin to break the pan seal. maybe a hammer to tap the putty knife.

Use brake clean to de grease the pan and case before applying RTV to seal it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Emissions”