Replacement for rubber elbows on vacuum lines

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
rsmith
n00b

Replacement for rubber elbows on vacuum lines

Post by rsmith » Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Having some small EVAP leak CEL codes appear and, whether the ultimate cause or not, have noticed that several of the rubber elbows that connect my plastic vacuum lines are crumbling away.

Anyone know of good replacements to use for these rubber elbows? I checked with the Dodge parts catalog and they seem to only come with ordering entirely new segments of the plastic vacuum line (at an obviously added cost).

My lines look good. Looking for a cheaper/better way to fix the deteriorating rubber elbows than replacing the whole line.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: Replacement for rubber elbows on vacuum lines

Post by NickKo » Sun May 18, 2014 11:29 am

rsmith wrote:
I checked with the Dodge parts catalog and they seem to only come with ordering entirely new segments of the plastic vacuum line (at an obviously added cost).

My lines look good. Looking for a cheaper/better way to fix the deteriorating rubber elbows than replacing the whole line.
Irritating, isn't it ??

Unfortunately, I don't know of any 'sources' for replacements.
Have you tried a dealership, to see if they will sell just the elbows by themselves ??

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun May 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Doubtful, the drawing only shows them as an assy. The dealer would have to be stuck with a hardline they probably would never sell, or they would sell you the elbow for the cost of the entire line.

Maybe put a WTB post up, and someone that is parting their car, or doing a swap will have some left over.

You only need 40 posts to sell, not to buy. ;)

viewtopic.php?t=67774
I am basically parting out this car so everything (ecept for the R/T muffler, center console and e-brake, and the front end(trashed) is up for grabs
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

rsmith
n00b

Post by rsmith » Thu May 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks. Was hoping there might be some third-party supplier of these silly rubber elbows. Don't really want to go with pulled parts as they're probably on their way to dry rot soon too :)

Autozone/O'Reilly's had some generic Doorman parts, but at nearly $6 an elbow (and not even sure if they'll fit properly), it's probably best to go with the real deal...even if it means I have to buy the hard line too.

Asked the dealers and they only sell the elbows with the hard lines. No a la carte.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu May 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Meh, used condition depends a lot on the geography the car was/is driven in. The elbows on mine are still in very nice shape. Especially for being 13 years old with 200,000 miles.

As for geography, the car was originally sold in Texas, made it's way to Florida, then to it's eventual ultimate demise, Ohio.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Sat May 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Napa, pep boys, advanced, that sort of thing should have generics you could get to work.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat May 24, 2014 2:40 pm

rsmith wrote:Thanks. Was hoping there might be some third-party supplier of these silly rubber elbows. Don't really want to go with pulled parts as they're probably on their way to dry rot soon too :)

Autozone/O'Reilly's had some generic Doorman parts, but at nearly $6 an elbow (and not even sure if they'll fit properly), it's probably best to go with the real deal...even if it means I have to buy the hard line too.
You may want to remove the elbows, and take them with you..... To NAPA.
A-Z and O'Reilly's usually have the 'generics' on hand, which are not necessarily bad - But they may not have the sizes you need.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Emissions”