Thanks for the suggestions

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 am

sounds like you need to find that other saleman quick :lol:

sucks you're getting jerked around gramps
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

I've left messages for the first saleslady to call me back but nothing. I'm starting to think that she no longer works there and Verizon hasn't deleted her voice mail box. :banghead:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

A@ron
2GN Member

Post by A@ron » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Verizon doesn't apply the employer discounts to the data portion of bills any longer (and I don't think they have for at least 2 yrs). I still say dry loop DSL was the way to go but good luck to you (at least better luck than you have with the USPS and eBay sellers).

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:27 pm

A@ron wrote:Verizon doesn't apply the employer discounts to the data portion of bills any longer (and I don't think they have for at least 2 yrs).
Since I didn't have data as part of the cell plan I last had with them (ending last summer), I don't know. We'll see.

The first salesperson finally got back with me on Friday (she left a voicemail on my cell that she had been on vacation and doesn't work on Wednesdays and Fridays). She said that, contrary to what the second salesperson told me, Verizon will extend my employer's discount to the both voice and data if I change to the More Everything plan (which is what I was going to get in the first place before the second salesperson said that I couldn't). I need to contact Customer Service about this after I get the router set up tomorrow.

I appreciate your suggestion about the DSL dry loop (which is what I used to have with AT+T before I switched to U-verse) but I wanted to deal with just one carrier so I've moved all of my business to Verizon.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 am

AT+T will be disconnected on Thursday. I've already hooked up the Verizon router and their Customer Service changed my plan to pretty much what I was originally offered.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and support. :thumbup:

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 am

:thumbup:
Justin

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon May 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, Verizon and I aren't getting along very well. Just last week, I had to add another 1 GB to avoid a data overage and I was awakened this morning by a text message that I have already gone over 90% of this GB! My plan refreshes this Saturday so I'm going to have Customer Service change my plan back to unlimited voice and 2 GB of data and just religiously watch my internet time. :banghead:

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 pm

:rofl: This whole thing is just off.

What is this, Australia? Ain't no personal home data caps!
el. oh. el.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 pm

:laughing3:
I'm just going to use the 'net at work this week until my plan refreshes this Saturday.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote::rofl: This whole thing is just off.

What is this, Australia? Ain't no personal home data caps!
:withstupid: I now know not to get Verizon :lol:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu May 22, 2014 12:54 am

Well, just got my first regular bill- $203.49! :cussing: And I was promised that it would be about what AT&T was going to charge when the promotion period ended, +-$80. I am going to call their Customer Service department in the morning to see what is going on. I may have to bite the bullet, pay the $175 early termination fee and go back to AT&T. :banghead:

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:12 pm

grass isnt always greener on the other side unfortunately. i know my cable company rapes me, but i dont bother changing because they rape you for the same service no matter whose providing it... :(
Justin

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm not going to go back and read, but what was the reason for not using Comcast?

We get like 140 ish channels and internet UP TO 50mbps (we see like 25 though) and we pay under $110 / month.
el. oh. el.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:I'm not going to go back and read, but what was the reason for not using Comcast?

We get like 140 ish channels and internet UP TO 50mbps (we see like 25 though) and we pay under $110 / month.
He didn't want cabling installed on/in his house.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu May 22, 2014 10:48 pm

^^That and I don't watch enough television to make it worth my money (I'm old... the free "plus" channels local broadcasters have show lots of old programs that I've never seen before so why pay?).

Customer Service told me that I've been billed for two months at once and that next month's bill should be closer to what I was promised. I should also be getting a refund of the $35 activiation fee for the wireless router within a few billing periods. I was also given one free GB a month for the next year (when I threatened to cancel my service, lo and behold- I suddenly qualified for a new Verizon promotion :lol: ).

I'm still thinking of calling AT&T to see if I can get something similar to what I had. Verizon's Customer Service informed me that 2GN, allpar.com and other sites that I like suck up a lot of data and that this is why I keep using GBs so quickly (I've already used almost 1 GB just since Saturday! :banghead: ). I don't like having a stopwatch running when I'm online.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Fri May 23, 2014 7:13 am

She's was blowing smoke, IMO. I'm not super tech savvy, but my guess is she just looked at your top 3-4 visited sites and rattled them off.

Also, research into some other browsers. I know it's a big thing on mobile, but certain browsers compress pages to save on data. For example, Opera:

"The second is its Off-Road mode, which reduces webpage data by sending it compressed from Opera's cache servers. This can save you money on metered data connections."

Just some food for thought.
el. oh. el.

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 am

One of the biggest helps in reducing data used is to make sure your phone is on wi-fi whenever it's available. It is a hassle to set it all up initially, but pays off big time! (I'm with Verizon by the way.)

I use my phone constantly, but with my home network saved and on priority, along with the wireless of the places I frequent most often, I have used 283 MB in the last month and the majority of that is music streaming while I drive. But I am on this forum probably at least an hour a day from my phone alone.

I have a Moto X and just use the Chrome browser for everything.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Fri May 23, 2014 10:16 am

He's referring to his computer. I simply referenced mobile browsers as that's where people are commonly cutting their data.

This usage is for his home internet.
el. oh. el.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 am

What he said. I have an old flip-phone without a keyboard, just use it for phone calls. I did send my first text message last month, only took 15 minutes to type two sentences. Never again. :banghead:

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Fri May 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:What he said. I have an old flip-phone without a keyboard, just use it for phone calls. I did send my first text message last month, only took 15 minutes to type two sentences. Never again. :banghead:
Gotcha, obviously I didn't read the whole thread, saw the subject, hit most recent post and saw you were talking about data and rates. Assumed cellular.

I don't know what to tell you about saving on home internet, if you don't go the generic route (broadband unlimited data with cabling running amuck) it would stand to reason that they would try to make it expensive enough or inconvenient enough to change your mind. Conform damn you! I currently get 50 Megs with mid-level cable tv for $74 a month from Comcast. It's not great, but it's become a necessity for my life. I store everything in cloud backups and do nearly everything paperlessly. Plus, I play a lot of video games.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 23, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm going to break down and call AT&T next week to see if I can go back to what I had. Even if I do have to pay Verizon the $170 early termination fee- this "measured service" for internet just won't work for me.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat May 31, 2014 1:56 am

Back with AT&T for internet. Verizon will adjust my bill and investigate what their two salespersons told me (they really do record conversations :shock: ). Going to return the wireless router for credit but staying with Verizon for cell phone. Interesting- but expensive- experiment.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat May 31, 2014 9:59 am

I don't know what you cap was or currently is, but my mom just moved out in the boonies and couldn't get internet. She got a Straight Talk hotspot router thing that's prepaid, so she reloads it as needed. Some months she'll use 2gb and others she'll just barely touch it. This is also just wireless, and I'm sure you're wanting hardwired internet.
el. oh. el.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 am

Verizon had first told me that 2 GB would be enough for my internet usage but I went through 1 GB in a week earlier this month. I'm better off having nearly unlimited GBs with AT&T so that I can better budget my utilities. The real problem here is that, since my local government has seen fit to give AT&T a legal monopoly in my neighborhood, I don't have much of a choice to have service with them. If Verizon were allowed to compete and offer FIOS, I would have gone with them for everything (cell, landline, TV, internet).

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: Thanks for the suggestions- UPDATE

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 pm

Well, I'm back to this subject again. AT&T informed me that they will no longer support the gateway that I have been using and that I will have to upgrade to a more expensive plan. Well, I have been using an average of around 20GB monthly while paying for 1TB. Last coffin nail. I bought a jetpack from Verizon and cancelled AT&T. I should save around $15 monthly. Good riddance, AT&T.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Thanks for the suggestions

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:09 am

For a guy that just uses his phone for basically just a phone, how TF are you using 20GB a month?

I am lucky to hit 2GB, texting and surfing the web, and my granddaughter sometimes streams kids shows on my phone. Granted I don't do any gaming or the like. I don't even use WIFI, mostly because the notification icon was bugging me everywhere I went. And there are less hiccups when the WIFI is slow, or unavailable.

I use Verizon's pre pay $50 monthly plan, for $45 a month, I get something like 12GB/month, most of which I never use. They gave me the extra 8GB and a $5 monthly discount, just for staying with them. I didn't even threaten to leave. Basically because I had some trouble with transferring the SIM card from my old phone to my new one, they "gifted" me with the extras. Meh, who am I to refuse free stuff?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:29 pm

No, this wasn't for the phone, just internet for my home PC. I'm with Consumer Cellular for my phone; no data, just unlimited talk.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am

Well that makes much more sense now! :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 am

I guess I should have reverted to the first post.

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 am
I don't want satellite that will go out every time there is a storm.
I think that is the biggest myth they push. My parents have never lost satellite signal, and that has been in some pretty horrendous downpours and snow storms. They live where there is still no internet/cable access to this day, so satellite is about their only option.

The sad part is it is just as big a rip off as everything else.

We were looking into other options for TV/internet, but in the end, it all basically adds up to the same money each month.

Actually, we had more issues with our Time Warner cable signal, than they ever had with their dish. A lot of pixelation, or the signal would go out during a rain storm. Imagine that.

What the cable companies don't tell you is most if not all get their signal from an array of, you guessed it, satellite dishes.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Off-Topic”