Can't find ac leak!

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
PITT412
n00b

Can't find ac leak!

Post by PITT412 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:02 pm

I have a ac leak on my 03 neon sxt that i can't locate. The ac had a very small leak and would hold the charge for months, Recently it has become larger and will drain almost all of the r134a by the next day.

Things i have tried,

Changed the low side valve core (Schrader valve) due to seeing bubbles-Leaked out the next day

Ac recharge-Leaked out the next day

Red dye/stop leak in a can Interdynamics (LDS-1) -Can't see the leak on any of the lines

Soapy water -No leak detected!

Could it be in the evap core? If so how would i know before having to pull the whole dash to replace it?

KrackstaR
Former Moderator

Re: Can't find ac leak!

Post by KrackstaR » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:38 am

PITT412 wrote:I have a ac leak on my 03 neon sxt that i can't locate. The ac had a very small leak and would hold the charge for months, Recently it has become larger and will drain almost all of the r134a by the next day.

Things i have tried,

Changed the low side valve core (Schrader valve) due to seeing bubbles-Leaked out the next day

Ac recharge-Leaked out the next day

Red dye/stop leak in a can Interdynamics (LDS-1) -Can't see the leak on any of the lines

Soapy water -No leak detected!

Could it be in the evap core? If so how would i know before having to pull the whole dash to replace it?
You tried damn near everything I would have too. ....since u used the dye I would look all over the condenser and possibly pull the dash apart to look around the evap core...the dye has to be somewhere...lol
Bella Lugrossi wrote: there's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory. ;)

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: Can't find ac leak!

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:23 am

KrackstaR wrote: You tried damn near everything I would have too. ....since u used the dye I would look all over the condenser and possibly pull the dash apart to look around the evap core...the dye has to be somewhere...lol
This.

PITT412
n00b

Post by PITT412 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Looked at the condenser for oil/dye still nothing, Also looked on the evap drain on the firewall and did not see any dye/oil. I am going to try the uv dye instead of the one i purchased. I do not want to pull the dash unless i know it is the evap, Due to the 6-10 hour job. May just take it to the shop to find the leak.

PITT412
n00b

Post by PITT412 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 pm

If i replace the evaporator, Is this the same procedure for a 2003 also? http://www.hpaircraft.com/neon/heater_core.htm

Also instead of removing the wheel and whole dash/connections, I was thinking of Just lifting the dash up and pulling out the hvac box as see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8u3OpayY5s

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Ask a garage. They have some special fluid to detect leaks. They fill that into the ac, you drive around some days and than they can detect leaks cause the fluid will glow in ultraviolet light!

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Damn, now I'm scared to have my a/c checked out. That looks like a nightmare to replace, didn't realize it was all behind the dash like that.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 pm

PITT412 wrote:If i replace the evaporator, Is this the same procedure for a 2003 also? http://www.hpaircraft.com/neon/heater_core.htm

Also instead of removing the wheel and whole dash/connections, I was thinking of Just lifting the dash up and pulling out the hvac box as see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8u3OpayY5s

That is what a lot of techs do, myself included. Unbolt the steering column from the dash, lay it down on the floor, unbolt the dash, pull it back and prop it up over the passenger seat. That usually gives enough room to access and remove the hvac box.
I would recommend the uv leak dye, if the car does'nt already have it in the refrigerant. The 30 lb cylinder that the a/c machine uses at my job has the uv dye in the refrigerant. In fact, for a few years now, the factory a/c refrigerant fill has the dye in it.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

PITT412
n00b

Post by PITT412 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Mich,
I have the uv dye and r134, I am going to look for dye in the evap drain hose when i apply it to the system. If i still do not see the leak i will order a new evap core.

If it comes down to replacing the evap core, Will all the wires extend with the dash without me unhooking any? I want to pull it back just enough and prop it on blocks, Then lift the left side up and remove hvac box.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:56 am

Pitt, sorry for the late response, been busy.
No, the wiring won't extend out, you have to disconnect the harness plugs.
2004 R/T, DD
30 year Chrysler Tech.

PITT412
n00b

Post by PITT412 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks for the feedback!
I added the uv dye and charged up the system yesterday, filled up a bottle from the evap drain on the firewall and it was crystal clear. looked over the whole system with no luck! The leak is large because it drains in one day. Should i buy a sniffer?

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Are you using a uv light and yellow glasses to find the dye? A leak that big should be pretty obvious. Can you clarify about
filled up a bottle from the evap drain on the firewall and it was crystal clear.
? I would say that if you can borrow or rent a sniffer, it may help to find the leak. The sniffer tools are'nt cheap.
2004 R/T, DD
30 year Chrysler Tech.

PITT412
n00b

Post by PITT412 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Yes i am using a uv and glasses for the dye. Filled a water bottle up with the water dripping off the evap drain located on the firewall, The uv/oil did not show up in the water. Regarding the sniffer, I found them on ebay/amazon with good reviews for $30 I was also thinking about trying red angel stop leak.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”