germany: where all the neons will maybe go

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Luckily the R/T passed the technical inspection today successfully, so I'm allowed to get it on the road soon.
a neon - what else ?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 09, 2014 12:21 pm

:thumbup:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 09, 2014 1:40 pm

occasional demons wrote::thumbup:
+1
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 pm

After I finally got all the needed paperwork together I was able to get the registration for my rhd R/T.

Now I am officially street legal and allowed to drive RHD in germany :thumbup:
a neon - what else ?

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:20 pm

18 Uhr gehts los am Samstag! Wir rechnen fest mit dir!!

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:52 am

r.i.p. 1st, but I really needed no parts from you :roll:

265.000 km 1998

before convertible-mod

needed tools

here we go

For airbags -> viewtopic.php?t=67935
a neon - what else ?

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:56 am

Got a RB3 recently and installed it to my SXT

and picked up ...

a SRT yesterday.

Unfortunatelly with smashed passenger window and three tires pricked, but 91.000 miles and 2004 :D
On the other hand, that would have been Carlisle next year (as for the money gone now :roll: )
a neon - what else ?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:47 am

The fact that yet another Neon has been saved makes the funds for a possible Carlisle having been spent worthwhile. :thumbup: Pics and history of the SRT please. :D

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:01 pm

:lol: :thumbup:

Here some pictures

jumpstart this morning

R/T-wheels do fit at the front as well- with enough washers :lol:

cleaning up the inside, removing the flinders and installed the window

The paint was not my idea, but here the SRTs are that rare ...
Originally it has been silver.
I think about some black decals anyhow, not too big, not too much, just discreet
a neon - what else ?

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:52 pm

little video before I did the window

http://youtu.be/TjBMHQduaog

the engine

inside

temperature get´s a little high, one of the two fans is defective

What I figured out so far are some lamps not working properly, one fan, right rear wheel bearing totally worn, AC not working, need to make the lights "german", new tires

I found a sheet that makes me believe, the SRT comes from Newport News, Virginia 23605.
It might have been moved to germany in 2012 as one of minimum 2 SRTs which someone imported and sold here.
Has had 2 owners here. Probably the first was the importer. The second owner drove it about 23.000 miles within 15 months, then the SRT stood unregistered around until now.
a neon - what else ?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:27 am

Engine bay pic makes me want to sneeze. :shock:

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:36 am

Ha ha, right. But be patient
a neon - what else ?

redneckmoparman
2GN Member

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:31 am

Wow it may be dirty but that is an unmolested engine! Near impossible to find! If I may suggest though to make the car look a little better get some plastidip or similar product and spray the jambs so it's not glaringly obvious it was rattle canned over the stock silver
ImageJason AKA Bootz

"You sound confused, you start with "I have this what can I do?" and then wander off into turbo land."

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:39 am

Yes, something like that.

As soon as the technical defectives are solved and we passed the inspection successfully, I will go to look for decals maybe tinting the rear windows.
a neon - what else ?

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Have been a bit busy today.

Swapped the fanassembly

One fanmotor has had a short so that the fanwheelmounting melted ...

should usually look like this

wiring for 4-speed-atx assembly and SRT-assembly ist different,
but the assembly and the motor incl. sockets do fit

tested, if the donor assembly still works

just for comparison - fanwheel of a singlefan (3-speed-atx and manual) vs. SRT and 4-speed

a neon - what else ?

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:20 pm

installed a new wheel bearing to the SRT recently

seems to be fine now.

Got new tires and will put them on soon.

Then there won´t be too much things left to do for getting it street legal and on the street again next summer.

I de-registered my SXT for not wanting to ride it in the coming winter anyway and keep the money for tax and insurance it would have cost for other neons.

Then I got season plates for my 1.6 (we have a nice option here for our cars - we could get plates which are valid only a period you like less than a whole year, e.g. 4 months, 5 months - whatever you like from 1 up to 11 months. So we have to pay tax and insurance only for this time. Surely it is not legal to drive that cars out of that period)

Unfortunately a steeringrackhose was leaking...

Due to the low temperature we had, I took it to a shop near me to put a spare hose on and so this issue is fixed.

I will look for hoses on all the other neons next spring and try to rustprevent them.
a neon - what else ?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm envious about the license plate options you have there- I would do that with my SRT in the winter if it were possible.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:36 am

This is it ->

11/03 says valid from November to March

Another interesting but unfortunatelly stupid implemented choice we have is a thing called "Wechselkennzeichen".
This allows to use two cars with one plate, but always only one is legal to be used outside at a time.
You get two pairs of baseframes with one different (last) digit each and two "swap"-plates with the same number (front and rear).
So for example we could have a baseframe with a "3" and another with a "7" to be completed when in use with the swapplate e.g. "SRB AA 16" as a prefix.
You can choose which car you like to use now and put the swapplates into the baseframe of this car. The other has to stay in the garage meanwhile.
Next time you could just swap the plates to the other cars baseframe and use that.
Sounds pretty nice and some countries around us have implemented that really fine. But we don´t. We have to pay full tax for both cars and will get only a little discount for insurance. So we have to pay 2x 100% tax and e.g. 2x 100% insurance - 5% discount. So we better use either that seasonplates or register both cars full.
a neon - what else ?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:52 am

We used to be able to get plates pro rated for how many months were left until they expired. Generally here in Ohio you go by your birthday for the expiration date. So I used to be able to get them at the end of April, and they would expire at the end of October. Perfect for a summer car.

Now, thanks to our greedy Governor, you have to pay for the entire year, even if you buy a car 2 months before your birthday, you have to pay for a year for the 2 months. Or wait until your birthday to register it. 30 day tags now cost almost as much as a year, so they are basically pointless.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:59 am

occasional demons wrote:We used to be able to get plates pro rated for how many months were left until they expired. Generally here in Ohio you go by your birthday for the expiration date. So I used to be able to get them at the end of April, and they would expire at the end of October. Perfect for a summer car.

Now, thanks to our greedy Governor, you have to pay for the entire year, even if you buy a car 2 months before your birthday, you have to pay for a year for the 2 months. Or wait until your birthday to register it. 30 day tags now cost almost as much as a year, so they are basically pointless.
Not to highjack the thread but that seems stupid indeed. When I moved to Ohio they pro-rated the license fee. I guess they changed that in the meantime?

But back on-topic: These "Wechselkennzeichen" really do not seem to make much sense if they make you pay for the entire year for the most part. That sounds like the typical German bureaucracy though.

I used to have a car years ago that had "Ausfuhrkennzeichen" because it was to be exported to the Netherlands for a year. My dad used to work there for a while and the whole point of having that type of license plate was to not pay any taxes, especially the VAT on the new car.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:41 am

absolutely, I guess they made that way stupid here as they basically don´t wanted to implement it but had to do it belonging to any kind of EU needs possibly

How much is a year that way in Ohio ?
a neon - what else ?

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Here in Ohio we pay just a little less than $60 per year as the license fee (tax). So compared to Germany it is not that much (at least from what I remember paying over there).

I can see that being an EU law that they were forced to adapt in some way. This must be somewhat new as I do not remember it being available when I left. Since then they abandoned a lot of things regarding license plates, for example the red ones to force people to buy new plates even if they need something for just a few days.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:01 am

ripped the screws of front swaybar bushings latches (1.6 Liter) off today :banghead: Though I knew, they usually will do so and therefore I used lots of WD40 and tried to unscrew them really very carefully.

Then I noticed, why the alternator belt of my SRT was gone lately...
Installed a new one today and ... found the alternator is stuck. So the belt nearly burned, too :shock:
Guess I better get a new alternator.

The SRTs isn´t the same as the 2.0 is - right ?
a neon - what else ?

GnuTwo
n00b

Re: germany: where all the neons will maybe go

Post by GnuTwo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:59 am

Hi @all, haven´t been here a long time.
Basically depends on -> I can´t log in with my orignal account Gnuserup.
Have tried months ago (or are years gone meanwhile ??) with no sucess and turned to different other things.
Now I tried again, still no success.

So I registered this new account and voila.

I´m just on the road with neons. Meanwhile my 1.6 and a 2.0 donor are gone. Rust kills the neons unfortunatelly.
So I took my rhd R/T and 2nd 2nd from the road (yeah - this was the 2nd 2nd gen I ever bought)
Luckily I was able to let my SXT repair and a few weeks ago I took my SRT back on the road. After three years
laying around in my garden it straightly passed inspection successfully. So I took this as a sign and gave him a
12/12 month registration now. This way I was able to get a nice plate (with S.. RT 4 [.. stands for different letters])

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:16 pm

I know what you are talking about. I am fighting off the rust as best as I can on my 1st gen but it is getting harder and harder. Germany does not use as much salt as the Midwest does but there is still enough rain to make rust a big issue.
--
Thomas

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:04 am

I am so glad that you are back on the forum- I've missed all of your news and pics. =D>

GnuTwo
n00b

Post by GnuTwo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:41 am

Thanks for your compliment :-)
I missed the communication here, too. Was hard to get access again anyhow.

Will see, what I can do to go on with the work/ compendium HowTo s

I really wonder about the rust thing.
On the gone donor (it has been a 1999 LX with 3sp. and about 230.000 km) there where really less rust. Though this one stood in my garden
without doing anything (except ripping out some parts) for I think iirc four/ five years.
The 2001 1.6 had to go for a rotten rocker panel (totally on the drivers side). I used the 1.6 for a couple of years in winter, ok. But my SXT
2004 is only used in summer time and had a rotten rocker panel, too.

Really strange.

I took the trigger to start thinking about prevention and came to the conclusion to try a dedicated cavitiy preservation spray on the rocker panel
in the SE (2002 or something - just laying around - bought for as it is a white SE with a defective 4-sp. and autostick iirc) and tried "TecLine Haftschmierstoff"
for the SRT.
I removed the panels under the doors to get access to the rocker panels and the rubber "gnubsis" on the A-pillars and sprayed a whole can into
each side, hoping for the best.
I believe it would be good to get repair parts as long as they are available anyhow.

My R/T unfortunatelly is rotten on both sides.

Yeah, here in germany we may have not that excessive use of salt, but depends on the area.

Have been looking for a neon about ten years ago with my buddy in the bavarian area (they have mountains and hills, where I live we don´t)
and the SXT we looked at had a lot of rust)

Return to “Progress/Project Log”