issues after clutch replacement

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ChetNubbler
n00b

issues after clutch replacement

Post by ChetNubbler » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:55 pm

so, a couple of weeks back, my clutch violently blew out about a quarter mile from home. I purchased a new clutch from advance auto and installed it myself ( with lots of help from a family member who is a mechanic). shortly thereafter, the Check Engine Light came on. after doing the "key dance", it came up as 0441. i am going to inspect the evap system this weekend to look for possible damage i may have caused when i put the transmission back in. ive also had a significant drop in fuel mpg since replacing the clutch. i mean a big drop in mpg. can a fault in that system hit fuel economy that badly? and i was all proud of myself for fixing it too :(

05MoparSRT4
2GN Member

Post by 05MoparSRT4 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:11 pm

One thing you'll notice with these cars if you fix one problem another comes up shortly after indefinitely IIRC P0441 is a purge solenoid

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:24 pm

thats where im starting my search, since the purge solenoid is right behind the transmission. maybe i bumped it or accidentally damaged a hose when putting the trans back in

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: issues after clutch replacement

Post by NickKo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:22 pm

ChetNubbler wrote:ive also had a significant drop in fuel mpg since replacing the clutch. i mean a big drop in mpg. can a fault in that system hit fuel economy that badly? and i was all proud of myself for fixing it too :(
I don't think your gas mileage issues have anything to do with the clutch itself (which is good news).
If you installed it 'wrong', you'd have serious issues on your hands and you wouldn't be writing about a drop in MPG. :lol:

That being said - Be sure you didn't underfill the trans. It should have taken about 2.5 qts. of fluid.

I think most of your MPG loss has to do with the onset of winter, and the drop in temperatures & switch to the winter blends of fuel.
The drop in temperatures also causes your Tire pressures to drop.
Tire pressures on a Neon will definitely affect MPG. Even one tire can affect it.
Be sure your tires are *properly* filled (and not OVERfilled.)
If you haven't had an alignment done, that will help, too.

If you haven't changed or cleaned your spark plugs during the last 10,000-20,000 miles... Consider doing those, too.
Also consider the spark plug wires, if they have not been changed before - Or if they are many years old.

If you do a search of the P0441 code on this site, you'll find quite a few threads on it.
This one might help: viewtopic.php?t=28793

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:07 am

Check the wiring to the purge solenoid, and the tubing. Does it idle normally? The vacuum tubing should go from the throttle body back around the air box and battery to the solenoid.

If that is cracked or not connected, it could raise the idle speed, or not, depending on how much of a leak, and if the IAC can compensate.

If the hard tubing is cracked, you can cap the vacuum nipple in the TB. You will still get a purge flow code, but won't be sucking extra air in. I ran like that for a long time, the code would randomly come up about every 4 to six months, until I finally got around to replacing the hard line. Mine got shattered when the car was totaled.

As far as fuel milage, it was not affected by having the vacuum line capped off.

The mileage issue could be something entirely unrelated, and coincidental.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ChetNubbler
n00b

Re: issues after clutch replacement

Post by ChetNubbler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:51 pm

NickKo wrote:I don't think your gas mileage issues have anything to do with the clutch itself (which is good news).

- Nick
i wasnt meaning that the clutch was the cause. :) more that maybe when dropping or putting the trans back in, i may have bumped or disconnected something.

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:01 pm

ok, i think i solved it! i the line from the purge solenoid never got reattached to the throttle body. i plugged it in. so the code should ( in theory) clear itself, right?

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:16 am

ChetNubbler wrote: so the code should ( in theory) clear itself, right?
Yes..... Eventually.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 am

also, while i was under my car i noticed that the oil filter and the immediate surrounding area were covered in oil. when i replaced the clutch, it was all clean and free from oil. i saw here, http://www.ehow.com/info_7835637_sympto ... valve.html that it said if something is wrong with the evap system it could cause that. now that ive fixed it, should my car stop spraying oil? or do i need to replace the filter? or is there something much more sinister at work here?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Since you have an '03, it wouldn't be the o ring for the CkPS. Check the valve cover gasket, and the cam seal for oil leakage. The link you provied has more to do with the fuel evap system.

The PCV system is probably more what you meant. That would not cause an oil leak at the filter. If it is not the VC gasket or the cam seal, it could be the oil filter adapter gasket.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”