McNasty's '03 SE (Bill)

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:35 pm

If you mean "Lowered-on-wheels," you're in the right direction! I've got to do some grinding/removing to keep from rubbing the fender liner, and I've got to pick up some spacers to keep these off the coils up front. Don't know why SRT wheels would send the tires into the coilovers, but that's the current situation.
-Mason's Project Log viewtopic.php?t=68112
Official I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies Member #144

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 am

I'd almost forgotten I was expecting this!

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 pm

So it's been a while since I put up the pic of my BBK. In these past weeks (between work and school), I've been trying to get that bastard into my car. After finally finishing it, I can say that the BBK is NOT the way to go. That said, here's how to get a BBK 56mm Mustang throttle body to work with your Neon:

First, spend $250 for a brand new TB from Summit. Summit was awesome; I had mistakenly ordered the wrong TB the first time and they exchanged it for the right one quickly and without any fees.
Second, take some time to admire its beauty. You won't see that "BBK" on the butterfly forever.
Now it's time for hacking, slashing, drilling, and filing.

Read Occasional Demons How-To for the TPS fitment: viewtopic.php?t=25866 . The only thing I did differently is using a flathead machine screw and threaded, flat cap tube (don't know how else to describe it, just go to ACE hardware) to hold the TPS to the washer. I had to use this setup because the area around the blade is too broad to have any sort of head poking past the washer and still allow contact between sensor and blade.
For the throttle cam, I chopped of the stock cam, cut it up a bit, and bolted it to the outside of the BBK cam. It's not completely centered, but it seems to work.
You'll also need some sort of bracket to hold the throttle cable. Luckily my K&N came with mounting brackets that ended up being the right length, so I cut one of the drill holes to make a groove for the throttle cable and bolted the other end to the throttle body.
On the back end of the TB, you'll need some sort of adapter. I just got a 3" Spectre MAF adapter. Unfortunately, the stock bellows tube doesn't accommodate three inches, so I ordered 2 Spectre couplers w/ reducers and a 4" long x 3" ID straight tube to connect the TB to the IM.
But here another unfortunate thing occurs. That vacuum line coming off the back of your throttle body? Yeah, it's got nowhere to tap into now. So I drilled into my shiny aluminum tube to install a vacuum fitting, but at least there aren't any vacuum leaks!

After all is said and done, here's what I've got.

Cool, right? NO! Now I've got a P0068 and I limped home. Hopefully the TPS just got ruined in the swap and a new one will fix that. Otherwise, I've put around $300 and quite some time down the drain.
The moral of the story is: JY Mustang TB, MPx, Lorenzo, or stock. Do not go with the BBK.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:24 am

Wow... that sucks. What are you gonna do then ? Are you gonna try and work out the kinks ?

It does look good though. :|

And I just saw that I totally missed the last update with the Racelands and SRT wheels. Looks great ! It must handle quite differently too ! :thumbup:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:57 am

P0068 has always been an issue with the 60mm or larger TB's on 2003 to 2005. Not a guaranteed issue, but it does happen. I'm surprised you are getting it with a 56mm TB tho.

Possibly the TPS voltage is now too low? Should be ~.6 volts at rest, and ~3.6 volts at WOT.

When the TPS voltage was too high, and you had to make the adapter to adjust the TPS position to lower the idle, did you get the P0068 then?

If not, you may have to find a happy medium between the idle speed, and setting the code. Or have the PCM sent to Kevin to fix the TPS/correlation issue.

Also is the throttle plate adjusted so it is shut, but not sticking?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:39 am

Merci, Jean-Seb! The car handles pretty well, it's only a matter of making sure it gets going fast enough to enjoy handling. :lol:

Bill, the throttle plate seems to shut tightly and even with the hard stop screw not touching, doesn't stick. I've still got to get me a tester of sorts. I only guessed high voltage from the p0123 that showed up. It was just that one code with no p0068. Today, I'm gonna try shifting the TPS like you suggested. I'll be happy with a 900 rpm idle as long as the coasting idle doesn't shoot into the stratosphere.

I didn't know Kevin messed with non-SRT NGC. I'll get in touch with him when I get the extra funds and see if he can work some magic.

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Well, at least my school provides a bus pass for the semester for only $20. I tried shifting the TPS, but it didn't work. Now the bastard is in the p0068 limp and won't close the IAC. So he just sits there, revving up to the 2,200 RPM limiter and bounces off of it. Luckily I've got a new TPS coming. Hopefully replacing the 12 year old sensor with 190,xxx miles on it will help. If not, I'll be posting in the FS and WTB threads. Live and learn, I guess.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:38 pm

McNasty wrote:Merci, Jean-Seb! The car handles pretty well, it's only a matter of making sure it gets going fast enough to enjoy handling. :lol:
Bienvenue ! And well said ! :rofl:

I hope you get that sorted out before you run out of hair to pull out. :sad3:

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Jean-Seb wrote:I hope you get that sorted out before you run out of hair to pull out. :sad3:
:laughing3: Me too! I've lost enough already, so there's barely enough to yank!

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 am

I DID IT!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Bill's idling and running as he should, and he's still got that pretty BBK TB (Bill my car, not OD). When I'd drilled that washer adapter, I clocked the TPS too far. Now, the washer has TB holes and TPS holes about 1 mm apart, and the picky NGC thinks this situation is acceptable.

Take that, DCX! :owned:
Now, I just need to pull the needle on the fuel gauge.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:44 am

Good deal, persistence pays off!
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Now that it's running, I got some new tires and took a decent picture for my sig. :D

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:28 am

damn it looks good i love the dark blue color on the 2gn neons.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Congrats ! And nice pic too. :D

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Hola ! I forgot to ask you: how high (or low) are your Racelands adjusted on your latest pics ? Thanks. :D

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:42 pm

That's dropped all the way, but I think they've settled down a little more. And now I have a cracked bumper! :)

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:48 pm

D'Oh ! :rofl:

Sorry to hear about your bumper. And thanks for the info. I'm really considering Racelands now. I think they're pretty much what I'm looking for. :thumbup:

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 pm

I like mine. Keep in mind though, they're cheap. I had to pick up some spacers to keep SRT tires off the coils, they squeak and creak a lot, and the mounting hardware isn't of the highest grade. With that in mind, I'd buy them again.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:05 pm

Would I be close if I expected OE replacement strut quality ?

I mean, I've had KYBs with Eibach ProKit springs on my old car. Would you say they're close in comparison ? :-k

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:12 pm

I think they're at least stock quality, but the big problem with racelands is quality control. You just never know what you're going to get.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:08 pm

I see, I see... :-k

Thanks for the input Mason. :D

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:14 am

I haven't got much done lately (I still have a Hotchkis front sway bar I picked up from Chris sitting in my living room #-o), but I did a halfass wash and installed my new shorty antenna and clear 3rd brake light.
Also, I think you can see that crack in my front bumper on the passenger side. Thanks, Denver.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:42 am

Wait. What, Denver has no snow? W.T. F.? :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

It's so weird--in the past week, we've had a few days get above 65°. In the same week though, we've also had two days of snow, totaling about 5". We don't so much have weather here as much as we have temperature-based manic mood swings!

Return to “Progress/Project Log”