Replacement Valve Cover Bolts

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
sleeper2gn
2GN Member

Replacement Valve Cover Bolts

Post by sleeper2gn » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:07 am

2000 sohc:
A) Anybody know where I can get replacement valve cover bolts? I need 2.

B) What is the process for removal and replacement of the bolt catches?
2000 Dodge Neon ES. (Brnin8r)
1995 Plymouth Neon LX (sent to grave)
2001 Plymouth Neon (organ donor)
"Hondas are so reliable!"
"why is it that you've killed three Hondas in the time that I've owned one dodge?"

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #143

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:23 am

A dealer, or JY.

4777625AA ISOLATOR, Cylinder Head Cover, Grommet And Bolt List Price: $5.10 each
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sleeper2gn
2GN Member

Post by sleeper2gn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 am

:withstupid: call me stupid... I don't know what JY stands for. haha

Also how do I go about removing the grommet from the valve cover? and is it possible to reuse said grommet on a different bolt, if I were to buy M6-1.0x30mm hex flanged cap screws?
"why is it that you've killed three Hondas in the time that I've owned one dodge?"

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:46 am

sleeper2gn wrote::withstupid: call me stupid... I don't know what JY stands for. haha

Also how do I go about removing the grommet from the valve cover? and is it possible to reuse said grommet on a different bolt, if I were to buy M6-1.0x30mm hex flanged cap screws?
'JY' is a Junk Yard. :) (As any good junkyard hound knows) :)

Are you talking about removing the grommet from the valvecover -- Or from the bolt ?? :-k
The grommet should come out with the bolt.... Unless I am misunderstanding this.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 am

The grommets just pull off. If you buy the better valve cover gasket set, there will be new grommets with it.

You can use a regular 6mm screw, BUT you won't be able to actually snug it down without messing with the gasket seal. The factory shoulder bolts bottom before the cover will contact the head. This is so the gasket doesn't get over compressed. So if you have a couple that are not shoulder bolts, it may make the seal uneven. Or it could potentially crack the cover.

As far as tightening the oem bolts, you just need to snug them good, and not try to actually crank them tight. IIRC, the torque spec is ~105 inch pounds. And even that is pretty snug for the screw size being in aluminum. The cam caps on DOHC head is the same spec, and those are known for stripping the threads even at the spec'ed torque if removed/installed a lot.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sleeper2gn
2GN Member

Post by sleeper2gn » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:50 am

got it thanks!

Return to “Engine”