Manny's 96turbo 1gn: now 99RT update 2\06\22

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Still having problems. Currently I have the engine harness out. Converting the wires back to stock that I intercepted for the Aem fic. So it will truly be 100% stock wiring. Then I'll put harness back in and see if she turns on. Problem I was having is a no start no spark. Did all the testing I could and it just boils down to the fack that before any cutting of the wires it ran good and no problem so no it doesn't. That's why I'm trying to see if the wiring is the problem. My ASD relay won't come on letting power for the coil pack and injectors. Anyways that'd where I'm at now. If she does start then great the problem was in my wiring. And I'll have to rewire the Aem fic back in very carefully this time. I'll report back this weekend at some point with my findings.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:39 pm

How frustrating! At least you have some time before we have the Dayton meet. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:15 am

Sometimes a crank sensor goes bad out of nowhere. Check that.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:47 am

INVUJerry wrote:Sometimes a crank sensor goes bad out of nowhere. Check that.
Yeah I replaced it with a new one and new connector for it. Nothing.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:09 pm

So with the help of a buddy earlier today we confirmed it had spark after the back to stock rewire and then we figured out only 1 injector was working and 3 weren't. They were bad. Luckily I found a local with some stage 1 and he didn't want much for them. Bought them and installed them. Car started then died after about ten seconds. That's alright tho. I didn't expect it to idle because of it having tons more fuel and not being hooked up to the Aem fic. So tomorrow I will wire it back in and restart it. Hopefully have it on the ground and test drive it finally to work tomorrow.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:00 am

Nice to hear man. Must have been relieving a bit. :D

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:27 am

Glad to hear you are getting to the root of this. Hope it is going to run just fine once you get it wired up.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:18 pm

And it's like I'm taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Keep having nothing but problems. Maybe boost and me weren't meant to be. Hey it almost rhymes. Lol. So yeah at this moment she is still down. Can't believe it's been down this long. There's so much dust on my car from being in the garage for the past 2 months it's unbelievable. Currently in the process of swapping my gas tank out for a plastic one with the external fuel pressure regulator style. Why, because I somehow don't have fuel pressure when I thought I did. Means fuel pressure regulator went out. I got the metal fuel tank being that the regulator is mounted to the assembly inside. Well my local yard has a fuel tank i can get, I still have 2 old 2gn fuel pumps I can use for it just would need to swap over my Walbro pump and I had to order the fuel tank seal since apparently Noone but this online store had it and bam I got me a plastic tank, better fuel pressure regulator setup and 1 more gallon of capacity of gas because the plastic ones are 12.5 as compared to 11.5 I got now. So yeah she still hasn't started. Still on jack stands. And at this rate if the problems keep up I doubt I'll be at Carlisle this year.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Neon4Life wrote:And it's like I'm taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Keep having nothing but problems. Maybe boost and me weren't meant to be. Hey it almost rhymes. Lol. So yeah at this moment she is still down. Can't believe it's been down this long. There's so much dust on my car from being in the garage for the past 2 months it's unbelievable. Currently in the process of swapping my gas tank out for a plastic one with the external fuel pressure regulator style. Why, because I somehow don't have fuel pressure when I thought I did. Means fuel pressure regulator went out. I got the metal fuel tank being that the regulator is mounted to the assembly inside. Well my local yard has a fuel tank i can get, I still have 2 old 2gn fuel pumps I can use for it just would need to swap over my Walbro pump and I had to order the fuel tank seal since apparently Noone but this online store had it and bam I got me a plastic tank, better fuel pressure regulator setup and 1 more gallon of capacity of gas because the plastic ones are 12.5 as compared to 11.5 I got now. So yeah she still hasn't started. Still on jack stands. And at this rate if the problems keep up I doubt I'll be at Carlisle this year.
Folks forget how much work this is... Putting a turbo on a car.
Don't get too discouraged, or beat yourself up too much over the delays.... These kinds of issues, are to be expected.
If you DON'T expect issues, you are likely to get really frustrated.

If you have the tools (and the knowledge) to complete the job, that's half the battle, and you can see it through completion.

- Signed,
The Old MoPar Man
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 pm

NickKo wrote:If you DON'T expect issues, you are likely to get really frustrated.
This. :thumbup:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Sounds like you are getting closer though. And by the time you are done you will have anything replaced that could potentially break down the road. The plastic tank should be more maintenance-friendly anyway.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20 pm

ahhhh and she runs guys. i did have fuel pressure the gauge tester was faulty. my starter wasnt bad. i ended up hooking her up to my dads durango for juice to battery. sprayed some starter fluid into the tb and bamn after a few seconds she started with a little convincing of tapping the gas pedal.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:58 pm

She just wanted to make you squirm a little...

...Bitch. :rofl:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Yeah she sure did. I let her get to operating temp and had it idling for like 25min. She sounded good and nothing leaks. Idles great. No rich smell of gas. Very normal as before. Hopefully have her down and driving by Friday. I need to hook my gauges back uo that I had disconnected and my hot side pipe since it was in the way when I retimed it this past weekend.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:04 pm

Congrats, glad to hear you figured it out :)

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:34 am

=D>

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:45 pm

here you go. go to link and if u have any troubles viewing it let me know. i got the interior together today but not the engine. still need to hook up and clean up wiring.

its a start up video i did of the car just a few ago. she started up great. i let it warm up again before i shut it off. maybe by this weekend ill be driving her.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/manuel89/U70h7D

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:06 pm

another update, finally cleaned up the wires. everything is connected and she is finally on the ground, here are some pictures. the first is a before and after of cleaning the wiring up. going for a test drive here in a little bit

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm

You may need ski's tomorrow! :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:03 pm

^^Sad but true. Car looks so c-l-e-a-n in your pics. :thumbup:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Yes, indeed. The wiring cleaned up nicely. Be careful out there if you do take it out for a spin.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks guys, she really is a beauty. Can't wait for summer to put the summer wheels on. Just got back from first test drive. Everything is awesome. It's loud, but that's alright. I need to get to an exhaust shop soon to get the rest of the exhaust put on. Everything seems to work. Got into boost a little. Not too much as I need to break in the clutch. And yeah I hope we don't get snow. I hate snow. Especially now since I want to drive my car everywhere.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:09 pm

Nice work again. Don't know what else to say beside... get here Spring !

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Congrats on getting it running!

So what ended up being the issue? Just the fuel injectors or a combination of injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
Jason

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> viewtopic.php?t=66496

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Neon4Life wrote:ahhhh and she runs guys. i did have fuel pressure the gauge tester was faulty. my starter wasnt bad. i ended up hooking her up to my dads durango for juice to battery. sprayed some starter fluid into the tb and bamn after a few seconds she started with a little convincing of tapping the gas pedal.
Cool !! 8)

occasional demons wrote:You may need ski's tomorrow! :lol:
Yes, ABSOLUTELY !! :lol:

I would Seriously WAIT IT OUT a few days.
No sense in testing out a TURBO in the snowstorm.... That, would be kind of pointless. :) :lol:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:04 pm

thanks for the love on it guys. we didnt get any snowstorm here. passed us by a long shot. its been raining all day here.

ducktapetg wrote:Congrats on getting it running!

So what ended up being the issue? Just the fuel injectors or a combination of injectors and fuel pressure regulator.

well the injectors yeah were originally bad but nothing else. i ended up using starting fluid to help it start for the first time. she still crank over for like 5 seconds before starting but at least it starts. dont know yet why it takes her so long to start at first.

heres another video of it guys. that rattling noise is the exhaust rattling against the body. i have it bolted up really good. it doesnt sound nearly as loud as it really is. im going to get to an ehaust shop soon to get the rest connected. i dont like it rattling and sounding so loud. my hope is to have the noise surpress more when rest of it is connected if not i guess its time to add a resonator.

link to video below

https://www.flickr.com/gp/manuel89/iJ48o6

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:44 pm

it was a nice day out yesterday before work so i got some better engine bay pics, got to love that front mount intercooler look though. i sure do.

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Awesome man! Glad you got it all sorted. Looks fantastic.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:00 am

quicksilvr wrote:Awesome man! Glad you got it all sorted. Looks fantastic.
thanks man. :thumbup:

some more updates: finally made it to the exhaust shop in town and couldnt be happier. car sounds tolerable now. sounds just like any other srt4 with a 3inch exhaust. happy to report everything is still running good with the neon too. i need to repaint my rear lip sometime this summer. i didnt realize till now how far off the paint on it is from matching the rest of the car.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: Manny's 96 turbo coupe: update 5/10/18

Post by Neon4Life » Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am

Hello there guys, I debated on bumping this progress log again or just making a new one after the entire database 2015 reset thing. Lost alot of information. 3 years worth of awesome stuff for you guys or anyone that found this log. Oh well I suppose. I'm not going to bother uploading the pictures or information lost because it's too much and I don't have a clue what all I lost which was basically everything honestly.
To anyone who finds this not known to forums the database was lost and had to be reset to 2015. Since then the engine setup has gone trough many phases.

Here goes: currently have the neon back in the garage all tore apart working on tons of items.
Here's the new to me parts list I have to install currently.
Plastic gas tank with 2gn style fuel pump to replace my 96 style rusty tank.
Picked up a 3.55 transmission out of a 2000 and it's a HD so that'll be fun. No more roasting trough gears so quickly and I'm turning the boost up.
New Ebay clutch to handle the power better. The ol 2.7 stratus clutch wasnt going to cut it anymore.
Deleting my turbo coolant lines, yes it's fine they aren't needed. Will clean up the engine bay look back there.
Routing my hotside pipe to under the engine, that'll clean up that side alot.
Have a Vitor intake manifold spacer to go along with a No 90 intake manifold piece. In doing so I'll have to redo my cold side pipe making it shorter and cleaning that side up as well.
Have a new Cxracing 4inch core direct fit aluminum intercooler. Better than stock, won't heat soak as bad as stock one.
Have a new mishimoto oil catch can to install.
2gn center console which will be awesome to have that 3rd cup holder plus storage space.
Have ARP head studs to put in when head goes back on. Was still using stock bolts before.
New water pump to install.
Trans is getting some fresh paint. Nothing fancy. Either flat black or gold paint. Not sure yet.
And last but not least something I've wanted to do for the longest time and since I finally have this nice shiny intercooler I want to show it off I cut open the front bumper in a nice fashion.
Oh and I also sold my MattDogg cluster and got a stock gauge cluster again. Selling the cluster was the only way I could open funds up to get the trans which I had wanted a long time. I got tired of the white cluster anyways. Stock cluster will look nice with the frog eye gauge pod.
I'm sure I'm forgetting other small mods but I'll move on to pictures from my progress so far.

Since I'm uploading all this from my phone I can't add individual comments below pictures so I'll add my comments here.
First engine picture is what it currently looks like before disassembly.
Custom license place is something I never done before thought it was nice. Haha.
Intercooler next to stock one showing the difference.
New intercooler installed picture is not 100% bolted in yet. I know it's not leveled straight. It'll be fixed upon final install.
The transmission pictures is after I spent 1hr cleaning the outside because as you can tell from the picture when it was in the back of my durango that it was filthy. Now it's ready for paint.
That's all for now. Hope there's still people out there wanting to follow my progress on my ol turbo coupe. Don't forget to turn on notifications if your following my log. I'll be posting more info as weeks go by and I get it all back together. Which I plan to start this coming Saturday by bolting the trans back in place and the rest is easy work. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Return to “Progress/Project Log”