Random posting

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Random posting

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Any tires that are over 6 years old are a ticking time bomb. Even if they look perfect, and have been on a shelf their entire life.

They don't make them to last forever anymore.

I have tires on my trailer from 1956, the sidewalls look like hell, but still hold air, without leaking down, and have carried over a thousand pounds each. You probably won't get that from any tires made in the last 20 years.

The tires on my then GF's Sundance were maybe 7 years old, and one just shredded to bits one day going down the highway. They weren't dry rotted or underinflated, just getting old.

It's kind of a rolling the dice situation keeping them too long these days.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

CharmfulPeace
2GN Member

Post by CharmfulPeace » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:38 am

Isn't that about the same thing with most other things nowadays? Nothing seems to really be made to last (Unlike they used to.. ).

Really downs me to have that knowledge about how things are made today compared to even 15 years ago.
2002 Chrysler Neon LE
1992 Honda Accord (Sold)
2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL (Sitting)
1992 Plymouth Acclaim (Sold)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 pm
...and have been on a shelf their entire life...
That's one way to ruin tires. Last year, I transported over 1400lbs of scrap metal in my Neon while it was wearing 11-year-old Blizzaks. Gotta move that rubber around!
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 pm

One of the tires has a loose chunk on the sidewall that will flap outward if I pull on it. There was a little ding in the lip of the wheel right near it, so he obviously hit something in the road at some point. I keep that tire on the back, but it makes me nervous. It feels like a ticking time bomb. One good bump and I fear it will blow out.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:06 am

LOL, my tires are almost a year old on my Avenger and there down to 3/32's already. And you guys are talking about tires that last over 5 years. LOL

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

JeremyJ wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 pm
I keep that tire on the back, but it makes me nervous.
I got a flat on my '01 a few years back on my way to work. I honestly didn't even notice until I got there, and noticed it when I got out.

I'm sure if I had to do some hard braking, or did some spirited driving, it would have been apparent something was wrong. Luckily, it stayed intact. It actually took air and after getting it plugged, it lasted as long as the rest of them.

The drive to work was 16 miles at that time, max speed limit of 55 mph. I have no idea how many of those were without air.

But I would agree with keeping it on the rear. As long as it doesn't disintegrate, it should be the best place overall.

My biggest fear, other than blowing in a curve, is if they decide to take out body panels when they go.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 am

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/sear ... r?hl=en-US I used this for google chrome so I can see photobucket pictures. Works great! ALL the photobucket pictures are back on all the Neon pages if you use it!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:59 am

It looks like Chrome, Firefox, and Opera are all set with the whole Photobucket bullsh*t. Install a simple plug-in, and you're good.

I still got rid of my Photobucket account. It's probably exactly what they were aiming for, but I feel better about it. I haven't figured out where I'm moving to yet. I really want something stripped-down and simple, so Imgur looks good at the moment.
Jon J.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:36 pm

PB fix quit working on my PC.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm

You also said that the forum doesn't always work either. I'm wondering if the CIA is finally on to you.

Depending on which browser you're using there are multiple plug-ins with the same intent. Try another one, clear cookies, and see what happens. Gotta keep Botophucket on their toes.
Jon J.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:18 pm

It was MS Edge that didn't like the forum. No Issues with Chrome.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Reba McEntire to play KFC's Colonel Sanders

http://5newsonline.com/2018/01/26/reba- ... l-sanders/
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 pm

theColonel wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm

They have been playing the Reba Creepy Sanders ad for a while here.

But still not as creepy as the Burger King King.

Edit: You better hope she doesn't fondle herself in that get up. Because they'll dig your ass up and charge you with it with it 30 years from now. :confused2: :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:42 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 pm
theColonel wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm

But still not as creepy as the Burger King King.

Edit: You better hope she doesn't fondle herself in that get up. Because they'll dig your ass up and charge you with it with it 30 years from now. :confused2: :lol:
Burger King wins the creepy contest :!:
05 Dodge SRT-4

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Wife’s birthday today. Bought her some presents and among them was a new purple carbon fiber and stainless steel wedding band. Broke the bank buying it.....not really. It was $16.95. I bought myself a new titanium and carbon band as well and it was under $10.

I get my taxes back Thursday. I have a little lined up for the cars (needs mostly, not wants) but the majority of it will be going to bills and the house. I need to replace my well pump with a 1hp version since a 1/2hp can only make 25psi due to the design of the well.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 am

INVUJerry wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm
Wife’s birthday today. Bought her some presents and among them was a new purple carbon fiber and stainless steel wedding band. Broke the bank buying it.....not really. It was $16.95. I bought myself a new titanium and carbon band as well and it was under $10.

I get my taxes back Thursday. I have a little lined up for the cars (needs mostly, not wants) but the majority of it will be going to bills and the house. I need to replace my well pump with a 1hp version since a 1/2hp can only make 25psi due to the design of the well.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WIFEY!!!
Ooooh, carbon fiber.....

Tax returns are always a plus! I use my tax returns to pay taxes and hopefully enough is leftover to get caught up on bills and have something left over
to play with..... cough, cough , Carlisle funds.... :lol:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am

I’m getting back almost $6600 this year from taxes. Most I’ve got back in years, but I also paid the most I’ve ever paid this past year. It’s pretty crazy.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 am

INVUJerry wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm
but the majority of it will be going to bills and the house. I need to replace my well pump with a 1hp version since a 1/2hp can only make 25psi due to the design of the well.

Had to replace the sewage/sump pump in our basement two weeks ago, ($400) and I'm accumulating the parts to replace the water pressure tank for the well. It's 18 years old, kind of preemptive before it begins leaking, and floods the basement.

I'm redesigning it, so you don't have to stand on your head to get to the pressure switch and see the gauge (which is broken - currently stays at zero psi.)

Being it has a larger tank, it is pricey. With the tank and the plumbing, new pressure switch, so far I have over $500 in all the pieces. And that was getting the tank at $150 to $200 less than the average prices for that USA made brand. Score one for the internet. And it was shipped free from less than 60 miles away.

A lot of the copper elbows and fittings I got on line too. If I had bought this stuff from Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards, it would have been an easy $200 more. I went with the long raduis ell's for improved flow. I did find a few non copper parts at Menards that were cheaper than online though. And 85% of it is also US made. HD would have been imported, and twice the cost.

The water softener (also 18 years old and working marginally) is going to be the next chunk of change. So much for the neon, again...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Yeah we had our pressure tank replaced last year. The contractor couldn’t figure out how to replace the jet pump and get it to work. Well finally the one from the 60’s died so I had to replace it with what they bought. Turns out it still works bad, so I need a bigger pump.

Eventually I’m going to have to replace ALL of the plumbing in the house. It was all done horribly.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 am

I used supplyhouse.com, completeplumbingsource.com and aquascience.net/ to piece together most of it.

Supply House and Complete Plumbing both shipped from relatively local locations, had cheap or free shipping, and arrived within two days.

For little odds and ends, I still used The local hardware stores. But when dealing with 1" stuff, Home Depot has basically nothing. Menards and online was the best option there. Our house has 1" from the well head to the pressure tank.

Home Depot is the closest to me, and about the most useless/most expensive overall. :lol:

Home Depot's excuse for not carrying much over 3/4" in either plumbing or electrical is they they are HOME Depot. If you want bigger, go to a commercial outlet.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am

When I had to do some of the plumbing I just needed to get a 1” to 3/4” reducer and then I was good to go after that.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 am

Man allegedly shoots at pedestrian who kicked his Dodge Neon

https://www.yaktrinews.com/news/report- ... /714008018
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Nothing wrong with that...

Next time roll the drunken bastard over the hood. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Another example of the recent uptick in pedestrian accidents- jaywalkers.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm

05 Dodge SRT-4

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:48 am

Changed out what I believe is either stock or at least 15year old shocks on my daily vehicle. My daily being a 99 dodge Durango with the 4wd. Rides like a brand new truck again. The truck is a rust bucket underneath, nice interior and engine is never an issue. So I do little stuff here and there to keep her going a few more years.ImageImageImage

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Wow, night and day. Sad what the elements can do to a vehicle.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 pm

The sad part is, the crappy paint on the shocks held up better than the rest of the '99 Jeep I had. It's not like they put too much into corrosion prevention on shocks and struts. They even rust when you add a few coats of paint to them.

The passenger floor board was totally gone within 4 years, and the roof had hundreds of rust spots coming through. So much for washing and waxing it probably way too much than was needed. What a waste of my time that was... It certainly didn't rust from neglect. Hell, I even had the majority of the rust sanded off, and repainted, and it still rotted from the inside out. Once it begins, it's only a matter of time...

The frustrating part is my buddies '96 was never washed or taken care of, other than minimal engine maintenance, and it was practically rust free. Daimler really did their best to destroy Chrysler.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:53 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 pm
Daimler really did their best to destroy Chrysler.
My late father said at the time of the "merger of equals" that Daimler wanted only the kitty that Iacocca had built up at Chrysler and their engineering. They (Daimler) were never really interested in Chrysler surviving as an auto manufacturer.

I agree that it is frustrating to have a car that is taken care of rust away while seeing others being ignored when it comes to maintenance but amazingly holding together. :x

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm a little late on here.

But I became a father for the first time back on February 25th to a beautiful 8lb, 8oz daughter.

That is all.
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

Return to “Off-Topic”