Water Leak

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
Anthonytony
n00b

Water Leak

Post by Anthonytony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:11 pm

I have had my neon for a couple weeks now and blackroseracing (my dad) suggested me to join this site for more info on my car. Just have one problem that I don’t know how to fix. I have water leaking on the front passenger floor board what looks like to be from the firewall. Does anyone have any idea what is cause this? We have check the sunroof drain and it seems to be intact. Idk what else it is.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Re: Water Leak

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Mine does the same thing and I don't even have a sunroof. I suspect there are drain passages under the cowl that need to be cleared of debris, because that's where it comes in.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Kudos to Chris (BRR) for not spoon feeding!

There is also a caulk joint issue that lets water in under the cowl. Apparently some cars didn't get caulked well enough ... But definitely pull the wipers and cowl screen and clean out both sides of debris, if it is full.

Also check the front door gaskets. While not a common issue, it does happen. I had to replace the passenger one on my '01, because water would cross over past the seal on the "A" pillar, and run inside the car. No matter what I tried, it would not stop. After replacing the door gasket, it stayed dry inside.

There was no damage to either the gasket or "A" pillar surface, but for whatever reason, the water would go right between it.

Of course there is the HVAC drain, but unless it was also happening on sunny humid days, that probably isn't your issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:55 pm

The top of the heater box above the blower motor is wet. I walked him through making sure the sunroof drain tube was clear and not disconnected.
I read last night about the sheet metal area with cracked sealer but I don’t believe it could be that because of the amount of water on his floor.
Last night I ordered a “Flir One” thermal camera and I’ll try to use that to trace the water.
I’m actually thinking the windshield might be leaking

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm

02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Anthonytony
n00b

Post by Anthonytony » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you so much. That’s what my dad is under the assumption that it is a windshield leak.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:36 am

I used a Thermal Camera today and he has heat escaping out of the passenger side under the windshield in about a 3"-4" area. I'm going to guess this is where the water is actually coming into the car since heat can escape through there, it's large enough for water to come in :)

rondert
n00b

Post by rondert » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:20 am

Any update, OP? Did you find the source of the leak?

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:26 am

No real updates yet as my kid has yet to listen to me and get the windshield resealed. So as of now he's still getting water inside the car and with the WNY temperatures lately, I'm sure it's freezing water now.
I've told him numerous times it needs to be addressed as it could lead to further issues, but of course he's independent and won't listen to what he's being told so he has not taken the step to get the windshield resealed to see if that fixes the problem. So I'm guessing he is going to run into further issues sooner or later since he has not tried this repair yet.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 am

Kids...
:D
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:58 am

Here's a small update...
He got a quote of $225 to replace the windshield as they won't just reseal it. So he's still saving money to get the repair done, yet he had the money to purchase some aftermarket taillights....LOL
I also seen a picture of the taillights he ordered and laughed at him, he was not happy....I told him I had a pair of LED tails leftover from my RT but he didn't like them so whatever....
I'll post a real update when it actually happens....

Return to “Interior”