Midnight_Rider's progress log

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Midnight_Rider's progress log

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 pm

It's been a humid summer. Possibly not being driven regularly has created extra oxidation on the rotors.

Unless your garage is air conditioned, that moisture in the air is going to do it's evil deeds.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:32 am

No A/C in the garage. Plus, it rained on my drive home from the Auburn, IN auction a few weeks ago- maybe sitting in the garage after that drive caused the moisture problem you mentioned? I'm hoping to take the car for a long drive this Saturday (weather permitting)... perhaps the squealing will go away with the car being driven? If so, then I can cancel the service appointment.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:30 am

Yeah I say take it for a good 45 minute drive or so and maybe do some hard braking on some desolate back roads too.

A lot of people forget to do this after doing brakes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6TV_nQy3o

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:48 pm

I would think that the long drive home from Missouri to Indiana would have broken in the brakes, not to mention the many miles I have driven since returning from the brake job. Even thought I rarely drive the car, it has been driven several times. Interesting that, in that video, the narrator mentions changing the brake fluid. I asked in Missouri for new brake fluid but was told it wasn't necessary. I did get new brake fluid at my request at the Indiana dealership though.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Bedding in the pads is something the shop should do, as it does get things hot. I don't know I would recommend doing it until you get brake fade though. Seems like a good way to warp brand new rotors.

They used to include instructions on bedding the pads with new brake parts. You can bed them in just fine without going to the extremes he talked about. But normal driving and braking won't usually bed them in adequately. You need to make a few good hard stops, and let them cool, then repeat a couple more times, cooling in between, is what most manufacturers recommended when papers came with pads.

There shouldn't be any smoke, if you degeased everything. If you painted the rotors in the non wear areas, then you might expect a bit of smoke from that.

If you get things hot enough to burn the fluid, then don't cry about the caliper seals failing down the road.

Flushing the fluid at least every 5 years helps get any absorbed moisture out of the fluid, that can create premature boiling, and thus air pockets. And potential corrosion. The shop probably didn't want to go through the trouble.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 am

I had the the calipers rebuilt after getting new brakes. The front passenger-side caliper had locked up from not being lubricated in Missouri (this was according to a tech from the Indianapolis dealership)- it was smoking red hot!

I noticed that the narrator of that video suggested replacing the OEM brake lines with braided steel ones. Since this would be aftermarket stuff, how would I go about doing this? The majority of work done on my car has been at dealerships so doing something non-OEM would be a first for me.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:40 am

Braided steel lines will only help with initial pedal feel, they won't actually improve braking enough to justify the cost for street use. If you were constantly doing competition track time, where every fraction of a second counts, then they are worth it.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 am

Well, that will save some money then. Thanks for letting me know.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 am

The snipped ground wire has irritated me so I bought a new D/S hood hinge. It will be painted and mounted by the same body shop that took care of the trunk lid and rear spoiler. I'm waiting for an estimate from the owner.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 am

Okay, I finally bought a Deltran Battery Tender (the manufacturer recommended model 021-0128 for an SRT-4). The instructions are very general and aren't specific to this model, no photos or diagrams. I figured out that I needed to pull the cap off the harness with the alligator clips to insert the wire coming from the unit but I don't know how to hook it up. In our cars, is the negative post grounded to the chassis? If so, where do I attach the positive clip?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:28 am

Negative is the chassis ground or (-) terminal. You could clip the positive to the battery positive, or the pop the cover from the PDC, and clip it to the main terminal in there.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 am

Thank you but what is the PDC?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 am

The fuse/relay box by the battery.

Power Distribution Center
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:36 pm

When was the last time you drove your car midnight? Not sure how you can go so long without driving it! Just about 2 weeks here and I miss it already. Having a cover over it in the garage and not going in the garage helps though. So I forget about it.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 am

The car hasn't been started since October. I daydream every day on my job about driving it (while I'm driving my work vehicle). I visit the garage at least twice daily to check on it and say hello (seriously). Already thinking of new adventures for this year- the 2020 sticker is already on the license plate and the new registration is in the glove box. And the insurance was renewed last week ($1,040 annually!).

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 am
($1,040 annually!).
:shock:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Not trying to pry, but why do you stop driving it in October? You are in Indiana, the weather stays pretty good out there in October :?: Is it just routine to stop driving it a certain day? Ever think about buying another used SRT-4 to drive during the poor weather months to hold you over?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:14 pm

David has the good fortune of use of his company vehicle when not working, so as long as that holds true, I can't fault him for not having another car to insure/maintain.

I would probably do the same.

I'm debating on the fate of the '99 once I get around to getting the 2gn transferred to it's new body. I really can't afford registering and insuring both neons, my wife's car, and my "winter beater".

One of them will either become a garage ornament, or sold...

If it was like the good ol' days of auto insurance/registration, I could plate them both, and temporarily insure one or the other for a week to a month. Insurance doesn't do that anymore.

Being Ohio switched to birthdays for registration, I used to go half a year: Get the stickers in April, and run them to October. Only cost a half year for plates, and I would insure them for when I wanted to drive them in that 6 months. But the State charges a late fee now, and a whole year, regardless. So it would now cost a $20 late fee, and full price to register them in April.

Bastids.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm
Midnight_Rider wrote:
($1,040 annually!).
Yeah, Hagerty insurance isn't cheap. But since I declared the value of the car, it is my fault that the premium is so high.
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm
Not trying to pry, but why do you stop driving it in October? You are in Indiana, the weather stays pretty good out there in October :?: Is it just routine to stop driving it a certain day? Ever think about buying another used SRT-4 to drive during the poor weather months to hold you over?
I traditionally stop driving the SRT-4 in October after the Terre Haute Ivy Tech car show. Unfortunately, the school discontinued the show after 2017 but the habit has stuck. As for buying a second SRT-4, I couldn't afford to even if I wanted to (recently had to buy a new stove and my washer/dryer pair turns 22 this year so household expenses have pretty much meant no money for the car). As OD wrote above, I have a take home vehicle from work that is completely taken care of by my employer (unlimited personal miles, gas, insurance). Plus, I feel guilty even looking at other cars. :lol:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am
occasional demons wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm
Midnight_Rider wrote:
($1,040 annually!).
Yeah, Hagerty insurance isn't cheap. But since I declared the value of the car, it is my fault that the premium is so high.
If they pay out the declared value, no questions, then it is worth it.

I know some classic car insurance companies will only insure it for what a professional appraiser values it at.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Hagerty lets the owner decide the value so I didn't need an appraisal. I agree that it is worth the cost.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 pm
Hagerty lets the owner decide the value so I didn't need an appraisal. I agree that it is worth the cost.
I remember back in the day I tried to insure my drivetrain since my insurance company would allow me to itemize coverage. I tried to insure the engine for replacement value ($10,000) and they laughed at me. Granted I didn't pay that much since most the parts were used, but if everything was replaced new it would be worth about that much....lol

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 am

About the most regular car insurance covers for aftermarket items is $1,000.00

But then they will also insure a $30,000 car for under $350/year. Granted the value drops over time, but if it's totaled in that first year...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm

The vacuum line that is attached to the pipe after the manifold managed to pop off sometime while I was driving last Saturday. Applause to BRR for patiently explaining to me how to fix it since I was clueless, as usual. :roll:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Glad you were able to fix it.
--
Thomas

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:10 am

I hadn't posted about my power steering issue on this thread. Club members (especially Mario and BRR) came to my rescue at Carlisle by fixing my power steering after the car decided to blow out all of the fluid. Everyone helped with morale. I just checked the reservoir again and it is still at the "Full" mark. I plan to drive the car for several hours tomorrow- BRR thinks that the car got fussy for my letting it sit idle for so long before driving to Carlisle. I think that he is right.

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:37 pm

Just to let you know .. Some of us folks ARE checking in to see whats happening on a fairly regular basis. :)
Glad to hear things are "holding together" on your ride, and you giving thanks for others help! :) :)
My son has been using his Neon with much more care since his last "escapade"...But has to go see the JUDGE Monday evening about his last "escapade"! The little base 2.0 motored car is doing VERY WELL.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:29 am

Thanks for checking in! The odometer hit 87K today and the power steering reservoir is still full. Now the car needs a bath- not washed since July 13th at Carlisle.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:41 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
The car hasn't been started since October. I daydream every day on my job about driving it (while I'm driving my work vehicle). I visit the garage at least twice daily to check on it and say hello (seriously). Already thinking of new adventures for this year- the 2020 sticker is already on the license plate and the new registration is in the glove box. And the insurance was renewed last week ($1,040 annually!).
My 1952 Chevy street rod is insured by Hagerty for $306.00/year … the declared value is $20,000.
If you don't mind my asking, what declared value results in a premium of $1,040.00/year ?
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:34 am

$25K.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”