Dodge/Chrysler News

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Re: Dodge/Chrysler News

Post by theColonel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:34 am

BlackRoseRacing wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:26 am
I didn't look any deeper into this, but is it possible that Chrysler's shutting down the Canadian plant to bring more jobs back to the USA?
There is increasing demand for SUV's, and probably less sales for mini-vans. :(
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:26 pm

05 Dodge SRT-4

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat May 18, 2019 11:45 am

The 1996–2002 Dodge Viper GTS is hot, and getting hotter

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... day_May_17
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat May 18, 2019 10:17 pm

theColonel wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:34 am
BlackRoseRacing wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:26 am
I didn't look any deeper into this, but is it possible that Chrysler's shutting down the Canadian plant to bring more jobs back to the USA?
There is increasing demand for SUV's, and probably less sales for mini-vans. :(
I imagine that this is the case... unfortunately.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Fiat Chrysler gets green light to build $1.6 billion Detroit auto plant

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fiat- ... OUCmc8TQ64
05 Dodge SRT-4

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue May 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Fiat Chrysler Is Proposing a Merger with Renault

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2757 ... n=17030034
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 am

I'm trying not to be sick over that one.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed May 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 am
I'm trying not to be sick over that one.
Neither Renault nor Nissan build cars that I want :(
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Just further diluting of the gene pool.

Not really any rebaged Fiat cars I would buy either.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Ditto. Very sad indeed.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am

occasional demons wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Not really any rebadged Fiat cars I would buy either.
I still want a new Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack :D
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu May 30, 2019 11:57 am

theColonel wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am
occasional demons wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Not really any rebadged Fiat cars I would buy either.
I still want a new Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack :D

So do I, but those aren't built on a fiat platform. Yet....

I would still but a Challenger, Charger, 300, or Ram, if I had the need and cash.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 pm

From another article aobut the merge:

How Renault, Fiat Chrysler, and yes, Nissan, could save through sharing

What's in it for each of the potential merger partners

If French automaker Renault green-lights a proposed merger with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, the companies almost immediately could begin saving money by consolidating components and basic structures on many of their most popular vehicles, an industry analyst said on Tuesday.
The synergies could multiply if they invite Japanese automaker Nissan, currently Renault's alliance partner, to join the merger, according to a former Renault and Nissan executive.
Renault and Italian-American rival Fiat Chrysler Automobiles are in talks to tackle the costs of far-reaching technological and regulatory changes by creating the world's third-biggest automaker.
A Renault-Fiat Chrysler combination "would mean a greater sharing of parts (which) could really boost the profitability of Fiat Chrysler's smaller vehicles," said Sam Fiorani, vice president, AutoForecast Solutions.
Building similar models on a common vehicle architecture, Fiorani said, "would give both companies a lot more freedom in manufacturing. They could mix brands and vehicle sizes on the same assembly line, switch vehicles between plants to balance production, and even shift production from one country to another, depending on changes in demand, tariffs or other considerations."
Fiorani said Fiat Chrysler could benefit from sharing the French automaker's expertise in electric vehicles and powertrains, where Renault and Nissan have jointly invested more than $5 billion. These are areas in which Fiat Chrysler has little in the way of components or intellectual property.
Another sector that is ripe for consolidation is light commercial vehicles, where Renault and Fiat Chrysler could build a variety of vans in several sizes on common platforms that could be assembled and sold in global markets.
Ford Motor Co and Volkswagen AG began their alliance discussions a year ago by focusing on potential collaboration in light commercial vehicles.

Getting Nissan's blessing

Fiorani said Renault's CMF architecture, which was jointly developed with Nissan and underpins many of Renault's passenger cars and crossovers, could be used by Fiat Chrysler on a wide variety of vehicles. As an example, he said the CMF could provide a new single foundation for at least five Jeep models, including the Renegade, Compass and Cherokee, which now are based on four different platforms.
A hurdle to implementing the merger is all the intellectual property — including the CMF vehicle architecture — that is shared between Renault and Nissan, said Patrick Pelata, a veteran of the two automakers' alliance who was formerly Renault's chief operating officer.
"They will need Nissan's agreement for it to be used by Fiat Chrysler," Pelata told BFM radio on Tuesday. "Nobody's talking about that right now, but it's an important subject."
Renault would not likely be interested in sharing Fiat Chrysler's body-on-frame platforms, which underpin the automaker's big pickups and SUVs in North America, Fiorani said.
"But if Nissan is invited to join the merger, that could open up new possibilities," he said. "Nissan could use Fiat Chrysler's full-size truck platform for its next-generation Titan and Armada, while Fiat Chrysler could use Nissan's mid-size truck platform for the next-generation Dakota and Durango."
Fiorani said it likely would take at least two years after a Renault-Fiat Chrysler merger is approved before the arrival of the first new vehicles built on shared architectures.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 31, 2019 3:16 am

Meh, DCX all over again. Deja vu.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 31, 2019 10:27 pm

Renault would not likely be interested in sharing Fiat Chrysler's body-on-frame platforms, which underpin the automaker's big pickups and SUVs in North America,
Um, more like just pickups. Pretty sure all the SUV's have been unibody for a few years.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Chrysler recalls model year 2018-2019 Ram 1500 pickup trucks

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/ch ... 60419.html
05 Dodge SRT-4

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:16 am
Meh, DCX all over again. Deja vu.
Fiat Chrysler Withdraws Offer to Merge with Renault After Nissan Refuses to Back the Proposal

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2776 ... xuGHcJANd0[
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 am

Woo-hoo!

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:43 am

Now all we need is for the Chrysler side top brass to grow some BRASS and get out of FIAT! And get back to good old AMERICAN designed and made vehicles!

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:41 pm

I will say this much...Chrysler interior design has improved by a thousand times since the Fiat merger. If nothing else, that piece of Italian flare has been a welcome addition.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 pm

To each their own in likes of certain areas...I prefer engine/drive train/suspension designed for and built for AMERICAN ROADS (potholes, craters and the like). As long as it has seats and steering/foot controls, I'm HAPPY!

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 pm

Yes, the Italians have certainly improved the interior quality of the OLD Daimler designs. Too bad that they can't come up with anything new other than "truckettes."

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:57 am

04rebel wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 pm
To each their own in likes of certain areas...I prefer engine/drive train/suspension designed for and built for AMERICAN ROADS (potholes, craters and the like). As long as it has seats and steering/foot controls, I'm HAPPY!
So you need a rock buggy...

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 pm
Yes, the Italians have certainly improved the interior quality of the OLD Daimler designs. Too bad that they can't come up with anything new other than "truckettes."
But they are selling those. All I see around me is Renegades and Cherokees. They could care less what the older generations like. We won't be around as long as the younger folks.

I see a lot of "Cherokees" and even lifted ones with bigger tires. (That will never leave the pavement, and my Subaru Impreza will pwn) And to think that when ppl put cars on 4X4 frames, they got flamed. But when the factory essentially does the same thing, it is desirable. The new Cherokee doesn't look a lot different than when I stuck the VW Dasher I had on my Ramcharger frame, just playing around. But that was hillbilly AF, as where these are cool... ::eye roll::

But if it gives you hope, my Granddaughter despises the Renegades. She hates those X's on the taillights. Every time we pass one, there is a sound of dizgust coming from her. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Actually an M1 Abrams TANK would do better with the road conditions around me..A rock buggy could still get hung up or wrecked going thru some of our MANY roadway CRATERS...I believe member Black Rose Racing would "vouch" for me on how bad the roads are in the WNY area! Thank GOD it is now road repair season just starting here(but repairs won't last thru the next WINTER)!

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:13 am

04rebel is correct....
I've had online arguments with people stating the roads here in WNY will not damage suspension or wheels. I laugh every time I argue with someone online about it. The last argument I had, the driver owns and old school Ford 3/4 ton truck and claims the pot holes and road problems don't effect his vehicle at all. I told him he's driving a tank on these roads Vs my little passenger vehicle that gets swallowed by these pot holes. LOL

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:14 am

Thanks BRR! Yes has ANYONE here had to replace BROKEN rear leaf springs on those type pick ups? I have and many times during my "tenure" as an auto tech, what with the road conditions and RUST BELT area...IT AIN'T NO PIECE OF CAKE like on all those 30 minute auto shows!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:55 pm

FCA And Renault May Resume Merger Talks If Nissan Backs The Deal

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Renault are allegedly looking to revive talks about a potential merger.

Reuters reports that Nissan wants Renault to significantly reduce its 43.4 per cent stake in the Japanese car manufacturer in return for its support of a $35 billion merger between FCA and Renault.
FCA officially presented its merger plan to Renault on May 27 and discussions were being held regarding the deal. However, the Italian-American automaker abruptly withdrew its offer for a merger in the early hours of June 6 citing France’s current political situation. It was later revealed that the French government had blocked a vote by Renault’s board on the matter in a bid to win Nissan’s backing for the deal.

Sources within the Alliance claim FCA chairman John Elkann and Renault chairman Jean-Dominique Senard have held talks about continuing the negotiation, but both companies are refusing to comment on the reports officially.
It is believed that a senior advisor from FCA on the Renault merger bid, Toby Myerson, was at Nissan headquarters in Yokohama, Japan on Monday for discussions with top management, likely including Nissan chief executive Hiroto Saikawa.
Saikawa has long argued that its alliance with Renault needs “re-balancing”. Nissan is far larger than Renault but it only holds a 15 per cent stake in the French automaker and no voting rights, while Renault controls 43.4 per cent of Nissan – something the Japanese definitely think needs to be re-adjusted…
Shortly after the proposal collapsed last week, the French government said it was willing to reduce its 15 per cent stake in Renault in an effort to see the merger come to fruition, but only if that would benefit both the automaker and the Alliance in general.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Japan reportedly helped derail Fiat’s proposed merger with Renault

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/21/japan-r ... nault.html
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Not really Chrysler news but...

Top 15 most American made vehicles of 2019, which includes criteria such as the number of factory jobs and where parts are sourced.

1.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Jeep Cherokee
2.Honda Odyssey
3.Honda Ridgeline
4.Honda Passport
5.Chevrolet Corvette
6.Acura MDX
7.Honda Pilot
8.Chevrolet Colorado
9.GMC Canyon
10.Acura RDX
11.Chevrolet Camaro
12.Toyota Avalon
13.Ford F-150
14.Honda Accord
15.Toyota Tundra

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 am

With the demise of the Dart, the only vehicle on that list that I would buy (if I were in the market) is the Jeep.

Return to “Off-Topic”