MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by Neon4Life » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 am

Been a while since I seen your progress. So much great progress at that. I like everything I see.

1 thing tho about when you went to the dyno. For them to not have the fan even on it means the guy didn't give a care in the world. Everytime I've seen someone in the dyno the fan is always on there. Obviously it's a must. I would of been mad of that was me there and they didn't have a fan set up.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 am
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Also thinking about having the timing belt done. Its coming on 14 years old and has the original belts. But seems wasteful at such low miles. Had a friend do the original timing belt on an 03 I had like 4-5 years ago and it looked completely fine when he took it off.
Meh, the only risk is it leaving you stranded somewhere. At least the engine damage risk is pretty minimal, not like a 2.0.

But depending on where and when it may fail from age, it might be cheaper to do a preemptive strike , thus less "waste".

Looks can be deceiving, it's not like you can tell the condition of the cords inside the belt. Those are what keep it together, not the pretty outer covering. :lol:
True true well said. Not going to do it myself. I will find a trust worthy shop to do it. Not sure if I will do it this year or not. For sure next year.
1 thing tho about when you went to the dyno. For them to not have the fan even on it means the guy didn't give a care in the world. Everytime I've seen someone in the dyno the fan is always on there. Obviously it's a must. I would of been mad of that was me there and they didn't have a fan set up.
Yeah I THINK the guy was upset because I drove out there months prior to see if he could tune my vehicle. At first he said no, based on a previous SRT-4 that had issues he had at his shop. But he saw how clean mine was and agreed to do it. Even though the guy was very expierenced in tuning vehicles I just had a bad feeling about it. I know how some of these shops will try to nickel and dime you on EVERYTHING. So your $400 tune turns into a $2k tune since they had to "fix" things to tune it properly. So I decided to do all that myself and do the Duster360 email tune route which turned out well. But I decided to have them dyno it. I know the guy does a ton of business and even tuned Cletus McFarlands crown vic amongst another one of his rides. I just didn't like how he treated my car. Left the hood propped up and drove it in reverse for about 100 feet or so with the hood up. With no fans he dynos it and he said the numbers won't change much with the fan. BS! He just wanted to get me out there and get his $60 for 15 minutes of work. I don't plan on ever going there again.
I'm not bragging but I really haven't beat on my tranny all these years- maybe this is why I've been so lucky. I did have a new clutch installed a few years back and also the fork and pin (can't remember the technical name for the pin and I'm too lazy to get up and go through my car file at the moment
I honestly haven't had many issues with the transmission on my SRT-4's. I mean my silver one had a needlebearing go out on 3rd gear at 130k, but I was way above factory horse power/torque rating. I think if it is not treated badly it will be nice to you.

Polar vortex is here again. Got down to -15 with the windchill last night. Ugh. Before I know it will be 95 in a 3 months! Stupid midwest weather. We get no seasons out here. :( Either way above, or way below normal.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm
Polar vortex is here again. Got down to -15 with the windchill last night. Ugh. Before I know it will be 95 in a 3 months! Stupid midwest weather. We get no seasons out here. :( Either way above, or way below normal.
QFT!

Wind chill was -1ºF and 10ºF without the wind this morning. Only got to 19ºF this afternoon. But it's supposed to warm into the 50's for the weekend.

But yeah, last summer was so hot, doing any work outside was not enjoyable. Getting older and working in a shop that runs close to 90 and above all summer doesn't help either. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot done on the neon last summer. :/

If I were 30 years younger, I would be out there dripping with sweat getting it done. I still wouldn't like it though. I did a clutch in one of my Omni's in 90º heat, and the humidity was about as high. It was miserable but I powered through it. I don't think I would have the motivation now. I can tolerate working in a 30º garage, but the heat sucks the life out of me.

If my garage had at least one window, I would shove a window A/C unit in there, but they didn't put any windows in it. Being cement block, it isn't something that could be relatively easily added, like a stick frame building. :cussing:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm

^ Yeah no window for you there. Guess you could just run a bunch of fans. Yeah getting old sucks.

Got to drive the car around town today, felt good! Going to change the oil since it has been just about a year since I have changed it. Going to go with Amsoil 5w-40 Euro Spec again. I did buy something for my car. Have a $50 voucher for special-carbonfiber.com, so I got door sill covers ordered today. Pretty much the only thing I believe they offer interior wise in CF that won't look out of place without going all CF. Center console was tempting though hahaha. After watching all these youtube videos of supercar videos I wanted to add some interior CF. I actually ran CF door sill covers on my 01 Neon by that Canadian guy who offered CF stuff for our cars, forget his username. He got super behind on orders. Image

I wouldn't mind getting something to go over the side skirt on the front doors kind of like the CE edition cars too, but no one offers anything that I can see.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Went with Penzoil Platinum 5w-40 Euro Spec since it was easily available and a Mobil 1 extended filter about 2 weeks ago. So took care of that.

Got my front and rear strut bars to fit, I just had to jack the car up and remove the 3 tower nuts. Went right on. Adjusted the drivers side front ride height too with the BC's. Maxed up as high as they can go leaving 80mm in the strut cartridge. Hopefully that removes grinding my tire on the inside fenderliner weld when cornering on the drivers side with those meaty soft tires.

CF door sills came in from Special carbon fiber. They fit horribly. So either going to get a refund or an exchange. But they do look amazing, I even applied 2 coats of carnuba on them too and used almost a whole roll of 3m double sided tape. :(

Edit: Turns out they are direct replacements. Not sure how well they will hold with no clips and jsut double sided tape LOL.

Got a used CarbonByDesign CF radiator shroud. It looks amazing! I love how it goes all the way up and attaches to a headlight bolt. I also applied 3 coats of of carnuba to it before install.

HUGE car show this weekend. StreetCar Takeover at Arrowhead stadium in Kansas City Missouri. 30k spots. So gotta find some time to wash the car up before the event. Going to be a cluster fu#@ there but should be a good time.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Got a great deal on a mint CBD injector cover!

Car show went good, but I went in at the wrong entrance and had to park in spectator parking. Oh well had a good time got to meet some new nsrt-4 owners. Show was huge!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm

That's crazy big. I wish more shows like that would be held around here. The injector cover looks nice.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:32 pm

I've never seen a car show that big :shock:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 pm

That's the Fords at Carlisle, I couldn't find any Chryslers at Carlisle aerial photos doing a quick search.

But Chryslers at Carlisle is allegedly their biggest event of the season.

You really do need all three days to walk around and see everything, unless you just want to run past every car. It doesn't help Chryslers is usually when the heat and humidity are pushing the limits of bearable. Nothing like sweat running out of the bottom of your shorts...

Consider at our peak, there were ~70 neons alone....
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 am

JeremyJ wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm
That's crazy big. I wish more shows like that would be held around here. The injector cover looks nice.
thanks man. Yeah our scene is getting pretty big out here in Kansas City.
That's the Fords at Carlisle, I couldn't find any Chryslers at Carlisle aerial photos doing a quick search.

But Chryslers at Carlisle is allegedly their biggest event of the season.

You really do need all three days to walk around and see everything, unless you just want to run past every car. It doesn't help Chryslers is usually when the heat and humidity are pushing the limits of bearable. Nothing like sweat running out of the bottom of your shorts...

Consider at our peak, there were ~70 neons alone....
The event out here was Street Car Takeover. First time at Arrowhead Stadium. "Raised $20,000 for Taking it to the Streets foundation and $20,000 for Warriors for Freedom"

"All in all the event went very well for the amount of people and cars we had rolling in. We estimate the show lots had 5,500 vehicles come throughout the day and around 20,000 people not including children under 12 and people who snuck in. Now that we have an event under our belts here and what looks like a new home for this event we will have a better grasp on 2020. This is now probably the largest single day car show in the U.S.. Thank you everyone who came out and made this day one to remember.

-SCT Team"

Oh for sure, Carlisle has always been huge! They been hosting events for a long time. Looks like there is more grass then concrete there looking at that picture.
Yeah the Chrysler event is always during a horrible time of the year when it is stupid hot. One of the reasons why I probably will never go. Along with how far away it is too.

If I do go I will just fly out there and spectate.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Yeah, it is probably all grass parking. But given the heat, I would dread it being asphalt or concrete. Plus it would mean they would have to use water barrels to hold the tents down. That would probably take out the option of club tents, as driving stakes in the ground is faster/less work/wasted water. Having the tent has been a nice option, but probably a thing of the past given the neon interest has dwindled, and a lot of us have moved on with our lives...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Yeah that makes sense for sure. I just went to a car show a while back and it had rained the day prior and it was a mess.

I tried to move on, but I came back. The Neon will always be in my heart. :)

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:31 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Yeah that makes sense for sure. I just went to a car show a while back and it had rained the day prior and it was a mess.

I tried to move on, but I came back. The Neon will always be in my heart. :)
Amen to that last statement. Image

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 pm

Well Mondern Performance offers the CBD PVO wing in fiberglass now. $30 deduction. So was about to order in fiberglass and have it painted to match. Then I thought, its only a $30 difference... I think the deduction should be more from a raw fiberglass to CF. Probably since they just started to offer it in fiberglass. So if I don't like it I can always get it painted. Can't find many pictures of it that are halfway decent. But here it is on a rough Eblue SRT-4 or the pictures could just be bad with the glare. Image Very curious what it will look like on mine. Spice up the rear a little bit. Just always loved the PVO.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Nice. I've been eyeing wingless trunk lids just so I can get a PVO of my own. They look so good.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Fiberglass is probably heavier too. Not that it is a huge piece, but...

When I had to replace the Kaminari front fascia, when someone backed into it, the carbon fiber unit cost more, but with shipping, it was actually about $40 cheaper due to the weight difference. (California to Ohio)

The ignorant insurance idiots still went with the fiberglass, because that's what was on there. Meh, I tried to save them some money, and get a better lighter part, but nope... :banghead:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 pm
Well Mondern Performance offers the CBD PVO wing in fiberglass now. $30 deduction. So was about to order in fiberglass and have it painted to match.
Then I thought, its only a $30 difference... I think the deduction should be more from a raw fiberglass to CF. Probably since they just started to offer it
in fiberglass. So if I don't like it I can always get it painted. Can't find many pictures of it that are halfway decent. But here it is on a rough Eblue SRT-4
or the pictures could just be bad with the glare.

Very curious what it will look like on mine. Spice up the rear a little bit. Just always loved the PVO.
I really like the look of the carbon fiber PVO wing, and as OD said, it's lighter :)
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:53 pm

I put it on after having a high ABV beer and it was on crooked. :( Hung off on one side haha. So I took it off and literally spent over an hour taking the tape off the back of the spoiler. Used Goo B Gone, fingernail and razor. Then cleaned it with Isopropyl alcohol. Ordered what looked to be the same tape on Amazon. 1/4'' wide. Had my girlfriend help me put it on this time. Made relief cuts on the double sided tape with the red backing tape sticking out every foot or so. So I just had to pull the tape when it was on there good. Worked perfect!

Have not driven the car in a week or so due to detailing it. I had washed it, then clay barred the entire car the next day. Now during the work week I am taking my time and Using meguiars M205 with a hexlogic light cutting pad. Just going to do the hood, roof, fenders, doors and trunk. First time really polishing so taking my time. Then a thin layer of Collinite 845 wax by hand. Which seems to be very tough since I am applying to a white car I cannot see where it is going on even with good light. Doesn't haze up all that well. At this point I need to do the passenger side doors, pass side roof and trunk. Then just wax the fascias.

I was going to remove the wheels and detail those, but I decided to be lazy and just hand wipe them down with detail spray and a microfiber since they are in very good shape and don't need much attention really.

Not 100% sold on the CF PVO wing since I have nothing black on the back of the car. But it is a VERY NICE piece and adds a bit of flare to a rather bland rear end these cars have. I feel I need to add the black DEPO LED tail lights now... Did I just say that? LOL. But I doubt I will do that. I love the stock tails. I will figure it out once I see it out and about. And ask your guys opinions on what you think.

Pictures will come when its all done hopefully on the 4th of July.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Photo dump time. 56k beware. :P :P :P finally finished detailing the exterior of my car. Was a cloudy day. Did it need it? Probably not, but want it protected. Let me know what you guys think of the CBD PVO style spoiler. I kind of feel I need to get the Black Depo LED tail lights now. But not sure, its kind of growing on me with the stock tails. Really depends on the angle.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Not bad. If I ever get a wingless trunk lid, I'm probably going to put the same spoiler on my car. I think yours could benefit from a little more black, though. Have you ever considered the carbon license plate surround or maybe some carbon crosshairs or something? Gloss black RPF1s?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 pm

The CF spoiler kind of ties in with the tinted windows. Since neon reverse lights generally suck anyways, maybe put some tint to the reverse light part only, (nothing extremely dark, just a light tint) and see how that look ties the tails to the spoiler. You could get some cheap static cling type tint and cut it out to cover the reverse lights as a test before doing something more "permanent".
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Glossy. :hitit:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 pm
I love the "white on white" look … leave the stock tail lights :hello2:
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:48 pm

theColonel wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:47 pm
Midnight_Rider wrote:
I love the "white on white" look … leave the stock tail lights :hello2:
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Right on. Thanks!
occasional demons wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 pm
The CF spoiler kind of ties in with the tinted windows. Since neon reverse lights generally suck anyways, maybe put some tint to the reverse light part only, (nothing extremely dark, just a light tint) and see how that look ties the tails to the spoiler. You could get some cheap static cling type tint and cut it out to cover the reverse lights as a test before doing something more "permanent".
I might try that. Good idea. Or maybe red out the reverse light? Was thinking about putting a different badge on the rear too. But I love the unmodified CSRT-4 badge quite a bit. It is an easy switch up.
JeremyJ wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:36 pm
Not bad. If I ever get a wingless trunk lid, I'm probably going to put the same spoiler on my car. I think yours could benefit from a little more black, though. Have you ever considered the carbon license plate surround or maybe some carbon crosshairs or something? Gloss black RPF1s?
Haha, Car originally had black RPF1's. I don't think they were gloss though. I personally don't care for black wheels. I feel like it is over done on white cars. Almost every white car you see on the road that is modified has black wheels. I would love to have a gunmetal gloss wheel on my car. But it will be tough to find a good lightweight set similar to the RPF1's with the correct bolt pattern and offset. Yeah adding that PVO makes we want to add some more black to the rear. That CF plate surround is a good idea I will look into that. In my mind it is the tail lights that are throwing it off. (Edit: Took the car for a drive this evening and I like it the way it is. Consulted with my brother about the badge and he likes it too as is. I have a "SRT" badge tht I bought during the winter last year and was debating putting that on. Same badge that goes on the trunk of the SRT Durangos. Just a chrome "SRT" badge. But decided against it since I like how the CSRT-4 badge ties in with the red tail lights.) 100% negative on the CF crosshairs I would never do that. I did the black plasti-dip crosshairs on my silver car and removed it the next day lol. I believe the front is where I want it. I thought about adding a splitter but they are a pain to keep nice and always scratch up. Car already has a factory lip on it with the SRT-4 front. But who knows I might go that route with a front lip at some point.

At this point just trying to spruce up the rer a bit since the rear of these cars are pretty boring. I can see why they put a huge handle basket on them stock. That is why I added the PVO myself. I still have the factory decklid with spoiler and can always throw that back on, but it attracts a lot of unwanted attention most of the time. Especially since big wings are the thing now it seems like. :/

Thanks for the feedback guys

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:49 pm

I vote all red for the tails. Here's another shot of my old ACR:

I'm probably going that way on my current SRT as well. It just looks so good.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:51 am

That does look really good. I tried VHT niteshades on my 2001 Neon SE a LONG time ago and failed miserably. Might just buy the VHT red and have the guy who re-painted my rear fascia do the tails in all red and cleared. I am sure he will do it cheap. I been tossing around taking the Caliber SRT-4 badge off, and leaving it off or replacing it with something else. But it looks so good and ties in with the tail lights. Plus if I took it off being 2019, people would have no idea what kind of car I am driving haha.

I wanted to get some current engine bay shots so I wiped it down and snapped some photos.
Might remove "Its Just a Neon" decal but I like it because a lot of people that talk crap on these cars seem to ALWAYS say that. "Its just a Neon"
I would like to get black couplers for my UPP but it can be a PITA to get on and hold boost well. Not too worried about it really.

I really don't have any plans really for it at this point. Maybe fuel pump rewire, and MFS rewire by https://www.kinnettickreations.com/. I think of odd things to do every once in a while to it. I need to completely detail the interior and get pictures. I do have a crack on my dash that bugs me and would like a new dash, but you can't buy them new anymore. Gotta find a good used one from a 2gn Neon that is not faded and in close to mint condition.

I raised the boost a tad and got a little bit of KR. .5-1kr. It might be false knock but I am not sure. Would have to do a log and see at what RPM I got it. It wasn't through the whole power band which is good. It was like 3:30 am on my way home from work did a 3rd gear pull. 23-24psi. Might of been due to the cold air, it was 64 or so. No need to have that much boost. Here is a random current driveway shot on a hot sunny day in Kansas :)

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 am

Please keep the "Just a Neon" sticker- it looks good there. My .02 cents worth.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:04 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 am
Please keep the "Just a Neon" sticker- it looks good there. My .02 cents worth.
:withstupid: "Why mess with perfection ?"
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

https://i.imgur.com/riGS6zT.mp4 Well that sucks. It smoked like this last year. I put a new PCV valve in and switched out checkvalves and that seemed to fix it. I also did a compression check. All were almost dead even. Removed exhaust side of turbo and it was dry. Not caked in oil or anything. I could still smell oil burning every once in a while. Then that smell went away.

Now fast forward to now, a full year later she be smokin' again..... So trying easy stuff first. Put a new PCV line on since my factory one had flat spot in it. Bypassed check valve and catch can so ran a 3/8'' line straight to intake manifold. PCV valve still looks intact and fine. Can still hear ball in there when you shake it..Idles fine. No CEL. Pulled all 4 plugs, all looked good. Oil looked clean no coolant smell. Check coolant. Still nice and clean. Me fingering my turbo haha: https://i.imgur.com/qU1aHsp.mp4 seems like it has a lot of play. But not sure if that is normal on journal bearing turbos. No in and out play which is good. Whats next on the list? Leakdown test? Remove exhaust side of turbo again? Valve seals, headgasket... This sucks.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 am

That's one heck of a great looking ride there! Too bad, but it looks like time to do a serious turbo rebuild or replacement there should be NO play in the turbo shaft in any direction! that lets pressure past the turbo seals and beck into the motor, what kind of oil consumption are you getting?

Return to “Progress/Project Log”