Midnight_Rider's progress log

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Midnight_Rider's progress log

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:09 am

Premiums partially depend on location, and how much it is driven. Granted this isn't conventional insurance, but I'll bet location still is a big factor. If the crime/accident rates and population are higher in one location than another, you can bet you'll pay more money.

Just moving 30 miles dropped my conventional insurance by $300 a year. Basically because lower population. Less traffic, equals less accidents in their logic.

Storage Insurance, as in you do not drive it, is dirt cheap. But if you reserve the right to drive it in case of emergency, you also pay for that.

If it is plated in Ohio, you have to have liability by law. Some agents will tell you that they will go to bat for you if you have storage insurance, but in the end, the law is the law. They look at it as if there are valid plates on it, you will be tempted to drive it.

It's just a way to fleece honest people.

Criminals drive around all the time with fictitious/expired plates, no insurance, and suspended or no driver's license. And race or nationality doesn't matter here. So don't even go there.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Exactly. When I had Progressive insurance on my '02 SXT, I was told by my agent that if I lived inside of the I-465 beltway, my premium would jump quite a bit and this is a difference of just a couple of miles.

By the way, this is NOT an endorsement of Progressive as they are crooks.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Most of them turn into assholes when it comes to shelling out money. They're your best friend, as long as you don't create a loss, and are lining their pockets.

Nationwide treated me pretty fair when one of their insured backed into me. There are a few decent adjusters out there, but they are probably being weeded out.

Years ago I got a decent settlement from Westfield insurance, it only took over a month for them to recognize that I was part of a multi vehicle crash their insured caused. They somehow lost the paperwork, and a police report just didn't seem good enough proof. Finally their adjuster came through, and made it right. Fast forward 10 years later, and they tried to screw me in every direction. A lot depends on who is representing the company, and how much management meat they can hold in their mouth.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:23 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:25 pm
Most of them turn into assholes when it comes to shelling out money. They're your best friend, as long as you don't create a loss, and are lining their pockets.

Nationwide treated me pretty fair when one of their insured backed into me. There are a few decent adjusters out there, but they are probably being weeded out.

Years ago I got a decent settlement from Westfield insurance, it only took over a month for them to recognize that I was part of a multi vehicle crash their insured caused. They somehow lost the paperwork, and a police report just didn't seem good enough proof. Finally their adjuster came through, and made it right. Fast forward 10 years later, and they tried to screw me in every direction. A lot depends on who is representing the company, and how much management meat they can hold in their mouth.
There's nothing lower than lawyers and insurance adjustors … Allstate tried to screw me when lightning struck my house … they finally came around
when I informed them that I had a copy of the report from the "lightning consultant" (hired by Allstate) . USAA tried to fuck over me when one of
their policyholders totalled my Dodge Ramcharger in a parking lot. USAA finally got interested when I listed 6 eyewitnesses that were willing
to testify that their policyholder was drunk when she hit my parked truck. Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office didn't arrest her because "the accident
occurred on private property" :evil:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:06 pm

theColonel wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:23 pm
USAA tried to fuck over me when one of their policyholders totalled my Dodge Ramcharger in a parking lot.

USAA had to be sued so I got my medical paid for when their insured rear ended me. They were all nice paying for the property damage, but when I began filing medical, they turned nasty, and kept stringing it along for almost two years. They thought they were going to slide, but 8 days before the 2 year limit was up, I slapped them with a law suite.

You could say they bought my Impreza for me. :D

Pretty sad you have to sue a veteran to get their insurance to do what they paid them for. But that's how it works, you can't sue the insurer directly. You have to sue the person that did the damage, and the insurance's lawyers represent them, and the insurance pays the settlement.

USAA is definitely not about supporting our veterans, they are only about supporting their corporate pockets.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:24 am

Bought the passenger-side hood hinge from an eBay seller. Another part to add to the pile in my loft. This makes me think of the M*A*S*H* episode where Radar was mailing a Jeep from Korea to the states, one piece at a time.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:26 am

Dammit Man!

You got Johnny Cash going in my head now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1i7YqD5MGg

FWIW, I noticed the ground on my '01's hinge looks to be cut at an angle. I wonder if it doesn't get pinched somehow, cutting it in two.

Nothing like neon self mutilation!
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:48 am

Ha-ha about Johnny Cash- forgot about that one.

I think that the ground wires eventually snap due to the hinges being opened and closed repeatedly over the years. At least that is the guess my body man had when the driver's side on my car went out. I'll be prepared for the passenger-side now.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:24 am

In anticipation of a drive today, I backed the car out of the garage only to find a 5 inch diameter spot of power steering fluid on the floor where the power steering hoses attach to the steering rack. The car has been driven three times since returning from Carlisle. Stopped by the hometown Dodge dealership and had the car checked out. Since Mario (God bless him) had no access to either daylight or a rack back in July, the tech today was able to see a little more of what has been causing my problem. Quoting from the invoice:

"Caused by verified power steering fluid leaking at rack. Inspected pressure hose O-ring and found there is a small tear in the O-ring and fluid is bypassing. Replaced O-ring with similar fitting O-ring and appears to have stopped leak. May need to replace entire power steering hose assembly if leak reappears."

Needless to say, I ordered a new Mopar power steering hose assembly this afternoon and will have it installed at the dealership next spring. This is certainly a load off my mind as I have been concerned about the car's reliability when driving to Carlisle next year.

Picked up a 2020 Mopar Vintage calendar while I was there today.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Awesome good to hear. Leaks suck. I see Modern Performance has the whole Mopar PS line setup. https://www.modernperformance.com/produ ... sory-drive Or RockAuto has the Gates replacement line for $70 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 61&jsn=422

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

The Mopar hose set could probably delete the cooler, and easily reduce the cost by $50.

That cooler is pretty simple, and flushing any contaminants out would not be a difficult task. Besides, it would have to be a pretty catastrophic failure to leave any debris in the u shaped tube.

IDK if the regular 2.0 PS line includes the cooler or not, but given it is not a crimped on item, it should have been a separate item. But then we know how Daimler liked to hose the customer. It would suck to have to buy an entire hose set to just replace that cooler if a stone took it out.

And the system would probably be just fine without it. Unless you are doing rally cross or something that takes a lot of steering effort, the fluid just doesn't get that warm. Given that they used ATF+4 in everything by then, it will run a little cooler anyways. And that cooler probably doesn't really have much impact. It is so short, the fluid really doesn't have enough time in it to shed heat.

The Sebrings had a better setup than the SRT-4. It was about 6 feet of line that went to the front of the car and back. That probably does far more to shed heat than the weenie cooler they used on the neons.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 pm

I've ordered from MP so we'll see about the cooler.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:31 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm
The Mopar hose set could probably delete the cooler, and easily reduce the cost by $50.

That cooler is pretty simple, and flushing any contaminants out would not be a difficult task. Besides, it would have to be a pretty catastrophic failure to leave any debris in the u shaped tube.

IDK if the regular 2.0 PS line includes the cooler or not, but given it is not a crimped on item, it should have been a separate item. But then we know how Daimler liked to hose the customer. It would suck to have to buy an entire hose set to just replace that cooler if a stone took it out.

And the system would probably be just fine without it. Unless you are doing rally cross or something that takes a lot of steering effort, the fluid just doesn't get that warm. Given that they used ATF+4 in everything by then, it will run a little cooler anyways. And that cooler probably doesn't really have much impact. It is so short, the fluid really doesn't have enough time in it to shed heat.

The Sebrings had a better setup than the SRT-4. It was about 6 feet of line that went to the front of the car and back. That probably does far more to shed heat than the weenie cooler they used on the neons.
the question is, why did Dodge decide to put the cooler there anyhow? Were they thinking that since the SRT-4 is a performance model that the owner would probably track their car or drive it harder? Since I personally had to fight those PS lines since they go underneath the transmission and the cooler mounts to the subframe. I had to move the cooler off to the side to get to my downpipe/02 housing/manifold easier through that hole.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:31 pm

The question is, why did Dodge decide to put the cooler there anyhow? Were they thinking that since the SRT-4 is a performance model that the owner would probably track their car or drive it harder? Since I personally had to fight those PS lines since they go underneath the transmission and the cooler mounts to the subframe. I had to move the cooler off to the side to get to my downpipe/02 housing/manifold easier through that hole.
The regular 2gn's also have a cooler, but it is not aluminum like the SRT unit. The 1st gens didn't have one. Given that 1gn's aren't really that much lighter than 2gn's, and they did just fine without one, using fluid that is not as good as ATF+4, I don't know why they felt it was needed.

They used basically the same cooler on the older trucks and cars, but those actually got pretty warm. IDK how much those helped, as they were mounted right next to the PS pump. When I put the AGR Steering box in my XJ, they required full synthetic PS fluid for the warranty, as it made some heat. Not sure why recirculating ball gear boxes get that warm. The PS pumps are essentially the same design as the ones from the 1960's.

The SRT unit probably does a little more than the standard 2gn unit, as it is a bigger diameter, and aluminum.

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 pm
I've ordered from MP so we'll see about the cooler.
It should come with a new cooler. The Mopar Parts catalog illustration shows it as part of the hose assembly. Probably why it is so fricken expensive.

My guess is anyone that is serious about racing, probably re plumbs it to a real cooler in the front of the car, if thermal expansion of the fluid is an issue.

Given it is on the low pressure return side, it has to be shedding heat created from the steering gear, and not the pump. Otherwise it would be worthless for protecting the steering gear from any heat the pump created. Given the cost difference of a pump vs the gear, I would take replacing the pump any day of the week.

But it also lends some thought to how much people that do the PS delete are heating up their steering gears by just looping the lines, or just letting it suck air. Does it make the same heat without the pressure assist? I doubt anyone has given a thought to reach under there and feel how warm it is after a good auto X run.

But I don't know how many steering gears have failed from being looped and run in competition.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 am

I had originally ordered from another seller but no cooler in their description and parts explosion. After I checked out the MP part link from MyNeonSaysHi, I canceled the first one and then ordered from MP. I had forgotten the discussion at TMI about how perhaps the leak was coming from the cooler so I thought that I might as well replace the entire assembly while the tech is at it.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Information updated from occasional demons' part list and what I paid for parts at dealership today:

5273760AC 1 EDV PUMP, Power Steering $312.00 after subtracting $50.00 core charge- not re-manufactured part
4891517AA EDV STRUT, Power Steering Pump discontinued, unavailable
6101503 EDV SCREW AND WASHER, Hex Head, M10x1.5x25 Strut To Block 2 required $32.50- comes in pkgs. of 4
6101234 EDV BOLT 3 required discontinued, unavailable
4668509AE EDV BRACKET, Tensioner $165.50
6101763 EDV BOLT AND WASHER, Hex Head, M10x1.5 1 required discontinued, unavailable
5290977AF 1 EDV HOSE ASSEMBLY, P/S PRESSURE AND RETURN $289.99 at Modern Performance, includes cooler
6503641AR SCREW, M7X1.25X16.00 3 required $58.74
6505911AA SCREW, Hex Head 2 required discontinued, unavailable
4891519AE BELT-ACCESSORY DRIVE $34.95

4 and 1/2 hours of labor $224.25- after 10% Mopar discount coupon

Power steering is now ready for 2020 Carlisle!

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:01 pm

Wow, lots of new parts. What did you end up doing about the discontinued bolts?
--
Thomas

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:11 pm

thomas_w wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:01 pm
What did you end up doing about the discontinued bolts?

My tech was able to reuse the OEM ones. I was really concerned about possible corrosion keeping him from removing or reusing them but he had no trouble.

I am really disappointed about the parts I couldn't find. I spent weeks online, trying to find them but no luck.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Yes, too bad you could not source those parts. But glad to hear they were able to use the original ones. Your car does not see much bad weather so they probably are still in very good shape.
--
Thomas

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 pm

The tech told me that he usually doesn't see many problems with the bolts that I couldn't replace. Perhaps my having Ziebart undercoating from new helped? I don't know.

I feel very fortunate to have OD as a source for parts information. His list was a terrific guide! =D>

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 pm

Nice, when is the install date at the dealership? Waiting til Spring or so? Thanks for posting the part numbers. Occasional Demons always comes through on getting that info.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 pm
...when is the install date at the dealership? Waiting til Spring or so?
Already finished, done yesterday. I lucked out with being able to get the car in to the dealership before the rain hit today.

I forgot to thank you for the link to MP for the PS hose assembly- you were a great help! :salute:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Awesome! Keep all the old parts?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:34 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:22 pm
Keep all the old parts?
No. The power steering pump was sent back to the factory for a return of the $50 core charge. The dealership disposed of the rest.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 am

The car goes into hibernation today. :( Can't wait for spring!

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 am

1 4509808AE HOSE $206.43 (Vintage Parts)
1 4509809AE HOSE $169.05 (Vintage Parts)
2 34201686 BOLT $14.86
1 4860068AE LINE: BRAKE $73.13
1 4860069AD LINE: BRAKE $73.13
5 6101712 NUT: U $74.25
4 6502114 GASKET: BRAKE HOSE TO C (this is truncated on the invoice) $44.12
4 6508914AA BOLT: BANJO $39.60

$743.19 with tax.

The parts from Vintage really killed my wallet but, since Mopar has discontinued them, I had no choice.

Brake work is scheduled for April 4th.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 pm

The appointment will be rescheduled for sometime in July since Indiana currently has a "stay at home" order from our Governor.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:48 am

Better to stay at home, then a one way trip to the ER.

And then having neon weevils infest your garage....
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 am
1 4509808AE HOSE $206.43 (Vintage Parts)
1 4509809AE HOSE $169.05 (Vintage Parts)
2 34201686 BOLT $14.86
1 4860068AE LINE: BRAKE $73.13
1 4860069AD LINE: BRAKE $73.13
5 6101712 NUT: U $74.25
4 6502114 GASKET: BRAKE HOSE TO C (this is truncated on the invoice) $44.12
4 6508914AA BOLT: BANJO $39.60

$743.19 with tax.

The parts from Vintage really killed my wallet but, since Mopar has discontinued them, I had no choice.
Back to the dealership today!

1. "Removed and replaced all 4 brake hoses from body to calipers, including banjo bolts, crush washers, bracket bolts. Bled brake system and retested, found all working correctly after";
2. "Removed front sway bar bushing brackets and lubricated bushings. Reinstalled brackets, all ok. Placed remaining grease in a bag in passenger floor board";
3. "Performed LOF with customer supplied oil. Installed 4781452BA : FILTER: ENGINE OIL";
4. "Removed cold side hose and drained small amount of oil" (no charge for labor!).

$373.21 after 10% discount coupon.

I had the Mopar Performance anti-sway bars installed several years back but had never lubricated the bushings.

Now that the power steering has been fixed and these items taken care of, I should be ready for Carlisle.

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 am

That’s almost as much as I paid for my car.
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

Return to “Progress/Project Log”