D.J. ºº

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: D.J. ºº

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:15 pm

It might have been a few hours max. Aside from driving to get the riveter.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:13 pm

In a Galaxy Far Far Away....

ImageIMG_20200419_100533495 by occasional demons, on Flickr
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:18 pm

ImageIMG_20200419_101425170 by occasional demons, on Flickr

Some Permatex Ultra high torque RTV silicone gasket to glue them in place...

ImageIMG_20200419_111540841 by occasional demons, on Flickr

They are painted on the bottom, being galvanized, I left the top unpainted, at least for now. I might give them a coat once the RTV cures.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Also picked up an item that will require some additional wiring work to integrate into the neon electrical system...

I seen one of these for sale on eBay, that was allegedly from an '04 SRT. Pretty certain these were never factory in any neon. This is not that unit. Their price was way to high, and it did not include the pigtails.

I just have to figure out a mounting spot, I don't think I am going to be able to stuff it under the dash. It will probably go under the passenger seat, if the power seats will give it enough clearance...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:41 pm

ImageIMG_20200419_114855512 by occasional demons, on Flickr

This is a 6 channel 180 watt amp, for power to the rear deck, front doors, and the dash tweeters.

Decent enough for a little boost. Not big into the big dollar audio scene, so it should suffice, considering I have never had an audio system with an amp.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Wow nice score, never seen one of those before. Great progress on the trunk, coming together nicely

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:57 am

So looking at the wiring diagram, they splice the tweeters in at the interior door connector. I think great, I can just cut the wires there, and connect them to the separate channels on the amp. Problem is, there is no way to tell which wire to cut, it will either be the wire going out to the door, or the one to the dash. Both are the same color coding, being "the same circuit", as far as the factory was concerned.

Both are terminated into the connector slide terminal. No way to ohm them, since they are terminated together. So it is either cut one, and hope it was the correct one, unwrap the harness far enough to figure out which one it is, cut the connectors from the other dash harness, and wire those in, leaving the original intact, but not connected, or wire it all the way from the amp.

The latter is probably the way I will go, despite not being as clean as just tracing it down, only because if the amp should fail, it would be simpler to go back to original.

But then, there is no going back. :D
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am

bsneon98 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:59 am
that sounds about right for chrysler to do! lol. all depends on where you wanted to mount it anyway but if you run wire all the way it will make putting an aftermarket 4 channel in later super easy if something were to fail :)
So after looking into it, I decided to unwrap the harness, cut and pull the wires back from the door connectors. It is only about a foot in on the driver side, and maybe 18" on the passenger side.

Being the entire harness is out of the car, it was pretty simple. I will extend the wires to the center whre the HVAC bezel is, so if I need to, I can always tie the dash speakers back in at the HU connector. Still an easy fix, if I decide to go with something else down the road.

But if I did go with a bigger amp, I would likely run better wiring to all the speakers, and just bypass the factory wiring altogether.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:08 pm

So did a little work today, towards getting the HVAC module and dash frame in, so I can move forward in sorting out the wiring.

I dug out the firewall mat, and removed the nasty sponge type sound insulation, and cleaned it up. This is from the '00 body shell, even though it is a year older, it is in better shape than the one from my '01.

ImageIMG_20200419_112531343 by occasional demons, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200428_183520423 by occasional demons, on Flickr

I puttied up the hydro clutch patch:

ImageIMG_20200419_112054196 by occasional demons, on Flickr

And applied the new sound deadener/insulation. This is a denser foam insulation.

ImageIMG_20200428_183653066 by occasional demons, on Flickr

Since I have a decent amount left, I applied some to the roof too. I cleaned up and painted that rusty area first...

ImageIMG_20200428_183719961 by occasional demons, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200428_191929819 by occasional demons, on Flickr
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun May 03, 2020 3:45 am

Stupid question but is that sound insulation underneath the plastic dash cover. Haven't taken mine off in ages. Good idea to put something better under there. I get some noises now due to removing the BS chain. Got insulation on the roof too, wow might as well. Is it light? I am sure it doesn't weigh much.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:45 am
Stupid question but is that sound insulation underneath the plastic dash cover?
Yes, it is applied directly to the firewall/interior cowl plenum. There is a heavy rubber type mat that wraps around the cowl plenum and down the interior firewall. That yellow sponge foam attaches to the rubber mat.

The insulation I got is adhesive backed, and lightweight. It is 4mm thick.

Brand is Noico. I was a bit disappointed though, once I received it, it is made in Russia. Being that is where most of our spambots that are flooding this forum are from...

I have noticed lately that finding the country of manufacture seems to be getting tougher to do since this has started. I'm sure USA sellers are hiding this info to prevent backlash, and lack of offloading imported products. The business in country of origin already has their money.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat May 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Chop Chop....

ImageIMG_20200516_202106977 by occasional demons, on Flickr
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon May 18, 2020 3:43 am

No idea what that is? firewall floorboard stuff?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon May 18, 2020 8:14 am

It was a Jeep part....
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 am

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon May 25, 2020 10:31 pm

ahhh it was for the sound system. Crazy it mounted up. How did you figure a jeep part would mount inside the trunk like that?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 26, 2020 7:47 am

I drilled a few holes, and used nutserts so I wouldn't need someone either top or bottom to hold the other end from turning. It turned out pretty decent. I probably could have gotten away without cutting it up, but it would have needed spaced down to clear that hump in the center, and I didn't want the "L" bend sticking down in the way. I suspect the L bend was for attaching the jack handle to, as these usually mounted under the G Cherokee's rear seat with the jack.

I actually bid on two of these since it was so cheap, and the shipping time was fairly long, and it didn't have the electrical connector, on the first one. When it finally arrived, it was shipped with full mounting hardware, (not mentioned or pictured in the listing) even a bracket that I have no clue how it relates. So that alone made it well worthwhile.

There are a decent amount of complaints of them getting soaked from being mounted under the seats in the various cars, so I figured this was a better location than what Mother Mopar came up with.

And I seen a HU mounted back there on a 1gn on the .org, for a stealth install, so I borrowed from that idea too.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 26, 2020 7:53 am

Actually, looking at the cut off piece, I may mount that to my garage wall near the ceiling, and use it to suspend the fuel and brake tubing I pulled from the '01...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:55 pm

So it never dawned on me, that there is no center shoulder belt hole here for the rear seat belts. I decided to install the rear deck carpet, and seat belts, but found there is nowhere for the center belt!

Son of a Biiiit...

So I guess I'll have to find either a 1gn belt latch, or cut the center shoulder belt off the latch for the passenger back belt.

Now I know why some 2gn rear deck carpets didn't have the plastic plugs in them, because apparently 2000 model year did not have the center belt, or the tether points for a child seat.

I guess I will be re covering the deck carpet, so I don't have a bunch of holes going to nowhere. The plugs were pretty well destroyed in my '01, so they aren't worth putting back in. The only option new are the Taupe. And about $40 worth of wallet reduction. Probably a chance in hell of finding a decent 2000 deck carpet. I recall the ones without holes being tough to find back in the heyday...

PANEL Shelf Trim
TA53LAZAA
Agate

PANEL Shelf Trim
TA53WL8AA
Taupe

Unobtainium...

Edit:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43175&p=602354

2000 MODEL YEAR

July 1999 Production
Modified five-speed manual transaxle-New second- and fourth-gear ratios for added durability and quieter operation
Child seat tether anchorages mounted on rear shelf panel

January 1999 Introduction
Completely redesigned suspension and steering systems-More comfortable ride, reduced harshness, reduced road noise, fun-to-drive handling and steering
Major brake system upgrade
Low-speed traction control-Optional
All-new, more refined exterior design
Enhanced body structure
All-new interior
Load-limiting front seat belts
Enhanced body structure to meet dynamic side impact regulations
Optional Sentry Key- vehicle security system

So the build date must be before July 1999. Since the original driver door is gone, I have no idea of the actual build date. But at least it is narrowed down between January 1 and June 30 1999. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:29 am

I remember buying a rear strut tower brace from Howell Automotive, back in '02. I had to flip it and re-drill the holes because it was made to fit a 2000 without the center seat belt. Howell never changed it because Howell. I also had to delete my center rear belt.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:59 am

I found a center lap belt, but it is for an export Chrysler.

At least I won't have to destroy the shoulder belt assy to have a latch for the passenger rear.

Probably won't have too many people back there, but the grandkids might ride with me, so just in case.

I wasn't worried about a center belt, but the way they are configured, there wouldn't be a right side latch without.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:59 pm

I powered the PDC and wired a head unit in. For some reason, the amp output sends what seems to be a subwoofer signal to the front door speakers.

The rear deck and dash speaker outputs seem okay and sound great.

I have double checked the wiring, and even bypassed the dash wiring to the doors to make sure there was no issue with the dash wiring. The only thing the door speakers put out is the bass, and it is weak. I even swapped speakers around, and the speakers are fine in the other locations.

So I guess I tie the door and dash speakers together like factory. Kind of defeats the whole factory amp feature with 6 separate channels. I have two factory Infinity amps, and both act the same. Unless this is a common failure, and I got two POS amps, I am not sure why the door speaker outputs are not the same as the dash and rear deck.

Push comes to shove, I guess at least it is wired for a better aftermarket amp.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Found this for the Infinity system:
The Infinity Gold Premium Sound system includes the following components:
AM/FM/Cassette/CD head unit (various styles used)
6-channel 180-watt amplifier
2x 2.5" front tweeters
2x 6x9" front woofers
2x 6.5" rear full-range speakers
So possibly the low pass in the front door speakers is normal, but the output is so low, you wouldn't hear much. Unless the ohms on those 6x9 woofers is lower to make up for it.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 pm

So I reconnected the dash speakers to the front door speakers.
eBay wrote:Infinity Amp 56038407AD
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
ITEM PRICE:
US $31.20
Best bang for the buck ever. I am actually impressed with how well this does for a factory amp. Granted I don't have factory speakers.

The only downside of these is finding one with the pigtails, otherwise you would need to disassemble it and solder the wiring to the board.

It only draws about 2.5 amps cranking out a volume that is a bit louder than most of us would continuously listen to. I installed a small 12 volt PC fan in the end, but this thing doesn't even get warm...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Nice! Seems like a good upgrade over stock.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:43 pm

A little progress...

Got some extra paint on the SRT ACR / R/T rear sway, side by side with the SRT rear sway:

ImageIMG_20201119_183948790 by occasional demons, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201119_184107087 by occasional demons, on Flickr

And this:

ImageIMG_20201118_183313670 by occasional demons, on Flickr

Just have to get some decent strut clevis bolts.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 pm

ImageIMG_20191222_161118017[1] by occasional demons, on Flickr

They have been collecting dust since last year...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:05 am

Mmmm new KW coilovers, veyr nice and colorful! Sway bar looks good too hopefully good brackets going on.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:25 am

I've got Energy Suspension brackets/bushings, but I may take the oem brackets to work and bead blast them while I can. Not sure if the 19mm ES bushings will fit the oem bracket though.

I also got a very nice Northface jacket with the KW logo, as they were having a promotion last year. :P
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:33 am

WHat? a Northface coat with a KW coat, that is rad!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Return to “Progress/Project Log”