Any empty fuses for dash cam hardwire?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Any empty fuses for dash cam hardwire?

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:24 am

Forgive if this has been asked before- are there any empty fuse sites in our fuse boxes that can be used to hardwire a dash cam?
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

racer12306
Junior Admin

Re: Any empty fuses for dash cam hardwire?

Post by racer12306 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:23 am

I think you could do this a couple different ways. I don't know for sure, and I'm sure Bill will chime in for accuracy, however, my experience is there are rarely random wires run unless the option/accessory is installed. That is unless you are looking to have the wire run into the fusebox to make it look as factory as possible.

1. Cut the power of the 12v power port and tap into that. Much shorter distance to travel and don't have to breech the firewall.

2. Run it to a fusebox and use one of those fuse tapper things or even the sister crimp connector on the wire to put it on the load size of a minifuse for something like interior lighting, the 12v power port, something mundane. It would be protected by the fuse by using the load side.

I did option 1 when I hardwired an XM Radio.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:43 pm

Add-a-Circuit fuse adapter. No hacking required.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lit ... 11499058-P

Might need two, depending if your cam needs both switched and constant power
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The manufacturer I'm thinking of buying from (Nextbase) shows in their installation video piggybacking onto an existing fuse but I was hoping that Neons might have an empty fuse location that is live (such as the cruise control that SRT-4;s lack). Of course, the ultimate decision will rest on what my Dodge tech will do when he installs the system next month.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:28 pm

There is the possibility, but most of the empty slots only have the hot side, an not the load side connection.

Your option would be to get a fuse box from eBay/JY, and have your tech swap one of the load connectors into a spare slot.

That's what I did when I added Power Seats to the '01.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”