pretty pretty project

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
grindpunk16
2GN Member

pretty pretty project

Post by grindpunk16 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:51 pm

well i am sure you all have been hearing i have a project that i am about to undertake. if not i am undertaking a project no 2nd gen has done before and some first geners say is not worth it. I say bull **** you get the rest. Once this is done i think it will be a big step in the 2nd gen neon community. I plan on using the stock bottom end as the powerplant (well for the time being) and no i am not going magnum (*cough*to over played*cough*). well here it is on a 2.0 bottom end. dohc head swap, milled .030, removed layer from mls gasket, gasket matched intake manifold, gasket matched and polished intake ports on head with knife edged vavle runners, kirk header with high flow cat & 2.25 piping, stock cams and vavle train, custom intake setup using 2nd gen tb, accel wires, ngk plugs, afx udp.. after my baseline run i wil install the safc and fuel tune it using the stock ngc for timing and spark. I plan on running bigger cams after the winter season. tentative date June 26th to the 27th. it will be a sight to see. I want peoples feed back and so forth. thanks

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

To slow for you Forum member #001
lambostealth wrote:Please ditch the lip, pretty please, makes baby jesus cry... :cry:

Stonebender
2GN Member

Post by Stonebender » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:40 pm

I have a question: If you're going DOHC, why not go with a 2.4?

grindpunk16
2GN Member

Post by grindpunk16 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:33 pm

umm money ;) i plan on gettin 2.4 pt block but i need to find an 03 block then get the ngc (pcm) for the block. then install. i dont have another about 1k for that project. its worth it but in the mean time i have a chance to build up the head and then i can transfer ;). can you say 18x na ngc.

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

lambostealth wrote:Please ditch the lip, pretty please, makes baby jesus cry... :cry:

Louie
Former Jr. Admin

Post by Louie » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:09 am

and plus..with a 2.4 block, you need to re-wire injector firing order, and coilpack firing order.

grindpunk16
2GN Member

Post by grindpunk16 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:40 am

louie i dont think u understand what i said. you wont need to do that if you a go standalone or b get the computer for the year of your car.

basically the moral here is if you swap:

00-02 Neon = SBEC

01-02 PT = SBEC

03+ Neon = NGC

03+ PT = NGC

THEY DONT INTERCHANGE ELECTRONICALLY! if you have an 03+ Neon your best bet is 03+ PT for engine swap etc

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

DannyBoy
Former Moderator

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:49 pm

Sounds like a fun project, I would much rather turbo the stock motor, but a DOHC 2nd gen sounds pretty sweet!
Automatic wrote:Go fuck yourself Danny boy.
I am awesome.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:47 am

With the amount of money it takes to get a DOHC swapped into your 2nd gen and running 200whp...you could have a boosted SOHC running 250whp and less shit to worry about. I, personally, don't think it's worth it, but hey...it's your car. Have fun.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:55 am

I think the reason he's doing this is not becase of power but instead he wants to be more original. Why do what everyone else does when you can do what hardly anyone has done before. Think outside the box :wink: 8)
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

grindpunk16
2GN Member

Post by grindpunk16 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:20 am

JeremyJ wrote:With the amount of money it takes to get a DOHC swapped into your 2nd gen and running 200whp...you could have a boosted SOHC running 250whp and less shit to worry about. I, personally, don't think it's worth it, but hey...it's your car. Have fun.
amount of money to swap it not that much actually. run down of price.
Dohc full head + ported and polished with vavle cover - 275
Kirk header, cat, Intake manifold, Plug Wires and Throttle Body - 175
Bolts - 5
Valve Cover Gasket - 18
Head Gasket - 26
Fuel Rail, Cam gear bolts, waterneck housing, cam seals, cam position sensor seal and other misc. things + gaskets (i/e) - 75
Cam gears - 10
Spark plugs - 6
Timing belt -53

im sure i am missin 1 or 2 little things but the total comes out to $643

Then if you want to break it down even more subtract the intake manifold i sold -195 , cam i sold - 90, and injen cai - 30
Ive spent about 328 (seems like i actually spent more but this is goin off my bank account). Seem like a lot to you??????
I think the reason he's doing this is not becase of power but instead he wants to be more original. Why do what everyone else does when you can do what hardly anyone has done before. Think outside the box
I am doing it because of the power it holds and also when else do you see a dohc 2nd gen. Ya it will be about the same power as my modded 2nd gen right now but what happens when you add 2 cams instead of one? Hell i know people with pt vavle train and the basic bolts on with 18's and some fuel tuning running over 160whp. something that a magnum has to have cam, worked head stuff like that. The power is there. everyone knows more power is had on a dohc than a sohc. 192 on a stock bottom end 18's and dohc. :wink:. as far as boost goes 250whp on a stock bottom end have fun building the engine again. to much cylinder preasure and to high compression. Alot of stock blocked sohc are running 8lbs and only dynoing at 18x for 3k. I could go dohc, pick up a srt manifold and turbo ic piping for about 400 then lets see what happens. That 8lbs will net you around 230whp not 180. quiet a big power difference there. but then again i can spend less money and be making more power than most turbo 2nd gens. To each his own. btw diablo knows whats gonna happen thanks man

Jim

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

dvg3.5SE
2GN Member

Post by dvg3.5SE » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:21 pm

I like this idea! Its different! Good luck man!
2005 Red Nissan X-Trail - Yep its official...I'm gettin old!
2002 Satin White Altima 3.5SE 5spd -SOLD!
2002 Aspen White Subaru WRX - Best car I ever owned! 313 AWHP!
2002 Stonewhite R/T - Enjoy Mike!
2003 Black R/T - I will forever miss! 15.9@87mph modded to the tits...damn NGC

grindpunk16
2GN Member

Post by grindpunk16 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:16 am

well 1 more days till judgement day fellas. some of you might be like waste of time. boy do you have another thing coming ;)

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

GaryHowell
2GN Member

Re: pretty pretty project

Post by GaryHowell » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:41 am

grindpunk16 wrote:well i am sure you all have been hearing i have a project that i am about to undertake. if not i am undertaking a project no 2nd gen has done before and some first geners say is not worth it. I say bull **** you get the rest. Once this is done i think it will be a big step in the 2nd gen neon community. I plan on using the stock bottom end as the powerplant (well for the time being) and no i am not going magnum (*cough*to over played*cough*). well here it is on a 2.0 bottom end. dohc head swap, milled .030, removed layer from mls gasket, gasket matched intake manifold, gasket matched and polished intake ports on head with knife edged vavle runners, kirk header with high flow cat & 2.25 piping, stock cams and vavle train, custom intake setup using 2nd gen tb, accel wires, ngk plugs, afx udp.. after my baseline run i wil install the safc and fuel tune it using the stock ngc for timing and spark. I plan on running bigger cams after the winter season. tentative date June 26th to the 27th. it will be a sight to see. I want peoples feed back and so forth. thanks
I did that swap 3 years ago. Not hard at all. Easy if you get the factory parts from Mexico. The 2nd Gen Neons in mexico have a DOHC 2.0 as an option. I have one sitting here on the floor of the shop.

If you don't use the factory parts from Mexico it is still easy. Use an Indy Intake, AFX long tube header, and a PT Cruise Cam Position Sensor from that year car. You have to use a PT Crusier PS pump, with a 95-99 PS reservior, and the hose needs to me about 2 inches longer. You have to lenghten the wires to the coolent sensor because it is on the opposite side of the engine. The hard lines for the heater will work, but you need to route it using fittings near the head.

DannyBoy
Former Moderator

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:30 am

I should have bought my neon in mexico, DOHC 2nd gen sounds pretty sweet!
Automatic wrote:Go fuck yourself Danny boy.
I am awesome.

Young Gunna
2GN Member

Post by Young Gunna » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm

Old thread revived tnx to Diablo

so i'm very interested in dooing a DOHC head swap after i head the srt- trubo manif/ turbo combo bolts on.

So grindpunk, mr pioneer congrats on the swap

what exactly did you say you needed as far as parts
since im going turbo i assume:

- DOHC head (might get P&P not sure if its worth it yet)
- most likely the head i will get will have all the internals in it
- 99 DOHC cams
- cam gears, and DOHC timing belt

will i need a DOHC PMC?

what intake manifold options do i have, can i hook up the stock dohc manifold? i really don't want to go indy

dinetuner
2GN Member

Post by dinetuner » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:33 pm

holy shit dude i spent 4 hours this morning searching for thie thanks man!!!!! w000t!!!!
bad01neon wrote: obviously the 10 year old consented, so its ok lol :lol:

Mat
2GN Member

Post by Mat » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:25 am

grindpunk16 wrote: but what happens when you add 2 cams instead of one?
Your powerband is different. I've owned a modded SOHC and a nasty-modded DOHC. The SOHC was just nicer to drive. You didn't have to rev the piss out of it to go. Granted cam timing plays a part, but I'm just answering your question.
Fix it 'till it's broken. Then upgrade.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:45 pm

IIRC Grindpunk went turbo SOHC instead, and not DOHC swap.

BUT! If you are going to use any 1st gen cams, use the 95 cams. I'm not sure if its the sohc or dohc, but one of them has a little bit of overlap, slightly more agressive, some more power.

dinetuner
2GN Member

Post by dinetuner » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:35 pm

invujerry wrote:IIRC Grindpunk went turbo SOHC instead, and not DOHC swap.

BUT! If you are going to use any 1st gen cams, use the 95 cams. I'm not sure if its the sohc or dohc, but one of them has a little bit of overlap, slightly more agressive, some more power.
its the SOHC 95 cam not cams lol it was the 3rd best cam made by mopar as goes
Magnum 01
Magnum(anyyear)
95cam<<<this cam can also be bought over the counter as the Mopar performance cam which i have and work really good(around 4whp) not as good as the magnum cam but still very good for the money... they can be had for 35ish dollars used and dont require a change in valve springs
bad01neon wrote: obviously the 10 year old consented, so its ok lol :lol:

Panhead
2GN Member

Post by Panhead » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:07 pm

let us kno how it goes cuz i might do the same to mine.
Juice

"There is no "G" in Cummins"

Keep it Mopar, buy Mopar Parts

ChrisRT
2GN Member

Post by ChrisRT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Hmm...I wonder what motor mounts would be needed for the (2.4) swap. I'd run a shorty header to keep it emissions legal, somewhat, and some smallish cams.

God, if i had extra money and time....
"Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art." - Ansel Adams

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited
2010 Jeep Wrangler 6spd/3.73's

LC_Neon
2GN Member

Post by LC_Neon » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Just for the record. The 2nd gen DOHC were NEVER offered in Mexico even as an option.

JRM
2GN Member

Post by JRM » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:04 pm

05SXT wrote:Just for the record. The 2nd gen DOHC were NEVER offered in Mexico even as an option.
and your source of this knowledge would be?
06 Ford F150 Stock truck 23x,xxx miles and running strong
05 Chevy Equinox Wifey's

Official I sold my Neon Member #482

LC_Neon
2GN Member

Post by LC_Neon » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:07 pm

jrm868s wrote:
05SXT wrote:Just for the record. The 2nd gen DOHC were NEVER offered in Mexico even as an option.
That I'm from Mexico :lol:

ChrisRT
2GN Member

Post by ChrisRT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:08 pm

I was gonna say, he DOES live in Tejas.
"Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art." - Ansel Adams

LC_Neon
2GN Member

Post by LC_Neon » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:12 pm

Actually I live in Mexico .. I'm about an hour and a half from the border, and go to the US really often because I have a mailbox address where I receive all the parts I order. I actually visit south padre island twice a year

ChrisRT
2GN Member

Post by ChrisRT » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:30 pm

Bump.

Thinking about this. SRT4 mounts should work, right? The passenger side mounts aren't any different from any other 2gn, and the trans mount is the only difference.

I wonder if I kept the T-350, if I could use the standard mount. I don't want the SRT4 trans, as I'd keep it N/A, just as a daily driver.

Hmm. 2.4, 3.94, with a 2.0 exhaust cam, and some standard bolt-ons(UDP, intake, shorty header, exhaust), you'd probably have a pretty rowdy package. :)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Mat wrote:Your powerband is different. I've owned a modded SOHC and a nasty-modded DOHC. The SOHC was just nicer to drive. You didn't have to rev the piss out of it to go. Granted cam timing plays a part, but I'm just answering your question.
This was my initial thought. People have told me that on the 1gns, the DOHC w/automatic was actually slower than the SOHC w/automatic because the power band was so high-strung on the DOHC that the trans would shift before it even got to the heart of it! I dunno if I would want to be revving my daily driver that hard all the time. Granted, I'm used to larger, torquey 4-cylinders where revving past 6 grand is a waste of time, so, by nature, I'm not really a redline addict, even with my 2.0 SOHC.

I do however have to give you points for originality though. Very cool idea. I'll certainly be interested in your progress.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

ChrisRT
2GN Member

Post by ChrisRT » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:22 pm

The 2.4 makes enough torque that you wouldn't have to rev the piss out of it. The 2.0 DOHC, NEEDED to be reved. The 2.4 DOHC is all out of breath by 6500 on stock cams....just right for the stock Magnum PCM :)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 pm

ChrisRT wrote:The 2.4 makes enough torque that you wouldn't have to rev the piss out of it. The 2.0 DOHC, NEEDED to be reved. The 2.4 DOHC is all out of breath by 6500 on stock cams....just right for the stock Magnum PCM :)
Oh sorry, I thought we were still discussing the 2.0 DOHC idea. Crap, I didn't even notice the thread dates were from 2 years ago! Oh yeah I know the 2.4 gives up not too much after 6 grand. I'll have a 2.4 turbo in an overweight old turbo Dodge in a few months with 2.0 cams and some other stuff.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:51 am

05SXT wrote:
jrm868s wrote:
That I'm from Mexico :lol:
^^^
He is correct, the only vehicle offered with the 2.0 DOHC after 1999 was the JAP cars:Avenger,talon,eclipse etc...
They were known then and now as the 420A motor. Even Mexican neons did not have a 420A after 99.

Return to “Engine”