Did SRT-4 Swap Car Wont Start

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
00 SRT-4
n00b

Did SRT-4 Swap Car Wont Start

Post by 00 SRT-4 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:32 pm

i just finished my SRT-4 motor swap in my 2000 Dodge Neon and it started a couple of times for a couple of seconds and it shut off and now it wont start at all i think it went into lockup mode does anybody know what can i do now? i have the pcm and the skin module they're matching from the 05 SRT-4 that the motor is from but my key is from a 2000 Neon, does anybody know how i can fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
2000 Dodge Neon With 05 SRT-4 Engine and body

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:03 pm

I had the same thing happen to me and this is how I fixed it.

Hook a battery charger up to the battery of the car while it's still connected, this is so the battery doesn't die on your for the next steps. Next turn the key to the on position but do not start it, just to the on position where you cluster activates and does it's diagnostic checks. Then leave it just like that for an hour and don't touch it. Go watch a movie, make some dinner, go out to eat, whatever... come back and then try to start the car and it should turn over again. What happens is after so many tires the computer disables the starter and fuel system to prevent someone from stealing it. The steps above should reset the computer and allow you to stat the car.

NOW.... about why the car isnt' starting. While you have a SKIM and PCM that match each other you don't have a key that matches the SKIM since you're using your original Neon key that matched your neon PCM and SKIM. If you don't have the key that came from the car that your PCM and SKIM came out of you'll need to have one cut. Keys can only be programmed once so you aren't able to get your Neon keys reprogramed to work with another SKIM. New keys cost about $30 or whatever from your dealer and you'll need to have them program the keys by looking up the 4 digit code thats for your SRT PCM and SKIM that you're using. My guess is when you're starting your car you have a red security light blinking or just turned on in the cluster and that is telling you that your keys don't match the SKIM module. You're going to need to buy a new key, have them cut it to your key cylinder then program it to your new SKIM module, after that it should start right up for you.

Hopefully that answers your question if I understand what you're asking correctly.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

00 SRT-4
n00b

Post by 00 SRT-4 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:51 pm

you are right thats whats happening to me the red light is just blinking so once i reset the comp the car will start am i right

again thanks 4 your help

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 pm

It'll turn over but still will not start until you get a set of keys that match the SKIM since right now you're neon keys can not be used since they were programed to work with your Neon with that VIN, not this computer and a completely different VIN.
-Jason
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

00 SRT-4
n00b

Post by 00 SRT-4 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:03 pm

i dont know my vin on my comp how will they flash the new keys or they just need the numbers off the skim

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:05 pm

When they connect their DRB scan tool to your car to program they should be able to pull the VIN for you and program the keys just fine.
-Jason

00 SRT-4
n00b

Post by 00 SRT-4 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 pm

cool thanks alot man i hope this works

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Lemme know if it does but it should :)

You're welcome!
-Jason

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Hmm...I seem to have the same problem although I have the key, ignition, pcm, rke unit, and skim module from my swap car. Could mine have died due to me still having my R/T skim module on the column? Could it have not been sending the code to the SRT skim? I really would like an answer or idea because right now I am VERY bummed. :cry:

OH YEAH! Also for some reason my brake lights wont shut off. The only way to turn them off is to disconnect the batrtery. Any input on this?
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:46 am

your car is doing that because sentry keys are not matching. it will start up then shut off right? then you try again it it does the same thing. and finaly it just wont do anything. wont turn over or make any kind of noise.....the car goes into a security mode when you keep trying to start it and doesnt allow it to start for about a half hour. if you have the sentry key module from the 05, but not the key to match it, it will cause this. there is a chip inside the key that the sentry key unit picks up to allow the car to start when everything matches up. now my swap was also in a 2000 that did not have a sentry key system in it originaly. i am running my car without the sentry key system on the stock srt ecu and it runs fine. try resetting the ecu by pulling off the battery terminals for about 5-10min. then dissconnect your WHOLE sentry key system and see if the car will start without it all hooked up (of course hook your battery back up though). if it does, you should get code P0517, but the car will stay running and run fine. it is fine to have the code because it doesnt affect the car in any way. it is jsut telling you there is in invalid skim module situation, but if you dont like seeing codes what you most likely will need to do is go to the dealer with your key. then have them give you a new key with a blank sentry chip in it, and have it cut to your ignition. then form there you gotta reprogram the new key into your ecu.
-Brad

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:17 am

Drvr02RT wrote:Hmm...I seem to have the same problem although I have the key, ignition, pcm, rke unit, and skim module from my swap car. Could mine have died due to me still having my R/T skim module on the column? Could it have not been sending the code to the SRT skim? I really would like an answer or idea because right now I am VERY bummed. :cry:

OH YEAH! Also for some reason my brake lights wont shut off. The only way to turn them off is to disconnect the batrtery. Any input on this?
You say you're still using the R/T SKIM in the cluster but you have the SKIM module from the swap? I'm confused :-? If you have the SKIM that came from the car that you also pulled the PCM from use that SKIM as the SKIM and PCM MUST match. I made this mistake when I did my car and left my SKIM in the car and it wouldn't start until I did some reading and realized that the SKIM and PCM must match each other and your keys must match the SKIM. If your car is no longer starting or even truning over anymore follow my instructions above in the 1st post and that should reset the computer and allow the started to turn the engine over again but it still will not start unless you SKIM and PCM match.

Refect... I'm still very confused as to how you're running your car without the sentry system on the stock PCM b/c when I disconnect my SKIM module the car will not start :-?

On Drvr02RT.... your brake lights won't turn off at all? What happens when you hit the brake pedal or put on the turn signal? That is a first of hearing about that and didnt' have that problem at all.
-Jason

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:28 am

My guess on the brake lights is that maybe you bent the little bracket that the brake light switch is on when you did the swap, or your brake light switch is bad.
Check you bracket and make sure the pedal pushes the little plunger thing on the switch all the way in when the pedal is not being pushed on. If its OK, then try swapping the switch with another one.
He is unworthy of the name of man who is ignorant of the fact that the diagonal of a square is incommensurable with its side.

-brian

2007 F-150
2006 Mitsubishi Outlander
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:37 am

Diablo0 wrote:
Drvr02RT wrote:Hmm...I seem to have the same problem although I have the key, ignition, pcm, rke unit, and skim module from my swap car. Could mine have died due to me still having my R/T skim module on the column? Could it have not been sending the code to the SRT skim? I really would like an answer or idea because right now I am VERY bummed. :cry:

You say you're still using the R/T SKIM in the cluster but you have the SKIM module from the swap? I'm confused :-? If you have the SKIM that came from the car that you also pulled the PCM from use that SKIM as the SKIM and PCM MUST match. I made this mistake when I did my car and left my SKIM in the car and it wouldn't start until I did some reading and realized that the SKIM and PCM must match each other and your keys must match the SKIM. If your car is no longer starting or even truning over anymore follow my instructions above in the 1st post and that should reset the computer and allow the started to turn the engine over again but it still will not start unless you SKIM and PCM match.
Here's what I did, I have the SRT SKIM in my car connected to the SKIM wiring from the PCM, but its just dangling instead of being bolted to the column. On the column I have my STOCK SKIM bolted in but not plugged in. Now, when I tried to start the car with the SRT Ignition and key it sent the PCM into Security mode and now the started wont engage. So my question is, could having the R/T skim on the column and my R/T key sitting in the floorboard be messing with the SRT SKIM module thats plugged in?
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:44 am

Having your R/T key on the floor wont' cause a problem your problem is still having the R/T SKIM bolted up to the column. The ring that goes around the ignition cylinder is actually the antenna that reads the key so just having the SRT SKIM dangling there isnt' close enough to the Key to get a read off it so it's not seeing a key in the ignition so it's thinking you're using a regular non-Sentry key to start the car and stopping the motor from starting. You're going to have to swap out that SKIM and bolt it up for the car to start.
-Jason

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:49 am

Oh, i didnt know that was where the antenna was. Ill do that in the morning. Hopefully it starts and runs fine.

A lil off-topic, but Diablo do you have a good picture of the vacuum lines? Basically the throttle body, solenoids and back by the turbo. If you do it would be greatly appreciated if you could post a pic of it.

Thanks!
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 am

I dont' have one of mine but these might help you...
-Jason

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:15 am

diablo0 - yeh im confused to how im doing it too. my car just doesnt have the sentry key feature to begin with, and i never bothered to swap one in. the car starts up perfect and stays running without it too. been like that for almost a year now. all i get is code P0517 from not having it. maybe only some people get lucky with it and it works without it? or you just gotta completely remove all sentry key components for it to work? ive seen a few other posts though with people running the swap without a sentry key system too. so im not really sure what to think on that..... maybe some are just lucky and can do without it and others arent? however, i know when you use a used stage 1 on a srt all you have to do is just reflash the vin to your current vin and it will work. even if the skim keys havent been reflashed to match the current one. all you get is an invalid skim key code, but the car still starts up. now i tried doing just that on my used stage 1. i sent it out to flight systems to reflash the vin that was printed on my stock srt ecu sticker and it didnt work. car started up and shut off. dont know if it has to do with me not even having a sentry key system.....or for the fact that maybe my stock ecu was one that was reflashed to the motor i have and when that was done a sentry key code was not programmed in. causing me to be able to run the car without a sentry key system....i have mixed feelings on these issues and im tryin to figure out why some can do it and some cant...where exactly is the skim wiring? it comes off theff the dash harness right? and is there more parts to it than just the pcm, an antenna by the ignition, and a chip in the key?
Here's what I did, I have the SRT SKIM in my car connected to the SKIM wiring from the PCM, but its just dangling instead of being bolted to the column. On the column I have my STOCK SKIM bolted in but not plugged in. Now, when I tried to start the car with the SRT Ignition and key it sent the PCM into Security mode and now the started wont engage. So my question is, could having the R/T skim on the column and my R/T key sitting in the floorboard be messing with the SRT SKIM module thats plugged in?
so you are running the matching srt skim, key, and the matching pcm? or are you using the original r/t skim stuff? or is it a mixed combination of r/t keys and srt skim stuff?

edit: the ecu can store up to 8 different keys. you can program them into the ecu with or without a drb III. i think they have to be fresh never before used keys though. so another option would be to go to the dealer get a fresh chipped key cut to your ignition and program it into the ecu. when i get home from work ill post up how to go about programming it in with and without the drb III. just another option to go by if all else fails...
-Brad

00 SRT-4
n00b

Post by 00 SRT-4 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:05 pm

hey guys i got the car started im so happy thanks jason for all your halp the monster was reborn again thanks everyone

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:18 pm

awesome glad to hear you got it running!! :D what did you end up having to do to get it started?
-Brad

00 SRT-4
n00b

Post by 00 SRT-4 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:24 pm

i just had a new key programd ad it fired right up but its loud as hell because im only running a 3''downpipe

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:50 pm

haha nice. i was running nothign but 3" downpipe for a little. shit definitly is loud as hell.
-Brad

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:01 am

Good deal man, glad to hear it's running for you now. Mine is whisper quiet running on stock R/T exhaust :lol:
-Jason

Nick Drake
2GN Member

Post by Nick Drake » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Diablo0 wrote:Good deal man, glad to hear it's running for you now. Mine is whisper quiet running on stock R/T exhaust :lol:
A sleeper from hell, lol.
kc2002acr wrote:because if I was racing you at a 60 roll, I would have been in second for a second till I hit 3rd, then I would have called you on my cell phone and asked you if my taillights were all working. :rofl: ;) :D

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:46 pm

And I still put down 211whp on a mustang dyno which is about 220-230 on a dynojet :) lol
-Jason

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:56 pm

^^^hell yeah getting mine up on the dyno for tuning sometime this month. i cant wait!!! gotta take a 4 hour drive down to miami to do it. there is a few companies down there that mainly deal with srt4s so thats why i want to do it over there. everyone in my area mainly deals with civics, supras, and nissan. no one really knows what they are doing with an srt over here. cant wait to do it :D
-Brad

snkmug
2GN Member

Post by snkmug » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:14 am

I had the same problem with the brake lights being stuck on after swapping in the srt pedal set into my 03 sxt swap car...I had to use the sxt brake light switch on the srt pedals. That fixed it. Now the brake light is on. I did away with the abs system and just left the sxt booster and lines. I used the srt calipers and brakes. The big abs plug on the harness is just hanging there. Maybe I need the bleed them again? I checked the resivor plug and under the console at the e-brake....

Return to “Motor Swap”