Where do I start with this rebuild?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
blue demon02
2GN Member

Post by blue demon02 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:Well what are the differences between those four, besides the obvious?
There can be a performance benifit fr going .020 over but more then likely it won't be measurable. But with as much cylinder damage as there probely is on that motor I would do the .020 for that reason alone.

As for the compression I will put it like this: The higher the boost you run the higher temp the cumbustion charge will be. The lower the compression the cooler the cumbustion charge will be. So if you have lower compression then you can run more boost . See how hot your combustion charge is in direct relation to how high octan of fuel you have to run. Just for argument if you had say 8.5:1 commpression and you wanted to run 93 then you would be only able to run say 30 PSI before the motor went boom. But drop the compression down to 8.0:1 and you might be able to run 35 PSI on 93 Octan.

General rule the more boost more power. More power can be achieved also by making better use of the boost you do have with say bigger cams, port/polish, bigger intercooler, intercooler sprayer/n2o, bigger exhaust, you can crank the boost up as high as you want but if the motor can't breath you won't make much power.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:00 pm

I'm glad you brought up octane. How can you figure out what octane you need to be using?

As far as cylinder damage, the guy at the shop said there is hardly any, so I'm not sure if I should do the .020 overbore or not. They are the same price, so why not, right?

Also, how do you know what the maximum amount of boost you can use is?

Right now it only makes sense to go with the lower compression 8.0:1 with .020 overbore so I can use more boost. Please let me know if there is more to it, or if it is really that simple of a decision.
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

blue demon02
2GN Member

Post by blue demon02 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:05 am

Best Advice I can give is go Buy Maximum boost by Corky Bell. Some of it is very technical but he does a good job of breaking it down also.

Always run Premium fuel with a turbo car. Some places won't have 93 only 91.

Baisicaly when you go to tune it you do three things:

1. start at the lowest boost possible set your fuel to as rich as possible.

2. with a wide band and also a EGT guage start to lean back the fuel tell you get just the right Air Fuel ratio and watch your EGT guage to make sure the exhaust temps don't go to high. If the exhaust temps are too high you have gone to high in either boost or your timing needs to be retarded some.

3. once you get a good base tune you can start to turn up the boost. As you turn up the boost you will need to give it more fuel and pull back timing some. This is where you can make or break your motor. Tuning it right is the single most important thing you can do. Do it wrong and bye bye all that money you just spent building that motor. Just because you just spent 3g's building the block doesn't mean it won't break just as easy as a stock block would have.

With a SRT Motor and ECU step 1. and 2. will not be needed. IT will do all that for you. Its all plug and play. Thats asooming your using the stock Turbo. IF you want to go bigger turbo and or higher boost you will need a way to control fuel. AEM EMS, Mega Squirt, ETC. I do not have a lot of expereance tunning a SRT using the stock computer so I'm not real sure what its adaptive learning limits are.

bad04srt
2GN Member

Post by bad04srt » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:38 am

my best advice is to make lots of friends on your local SRT forum and get together for a few install days....having people who have been around the SRT platform much longer than you will really help with the teardown, rebuild, install, and tuning.....most of the guys on there are pretty nice and would usually help for lunch or a case of beer lol

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:48 pm

You can also use Chong at Revline Motorsports, he knows his turbo stuff, and could tune it for you, at about 75$ per hour, or so.
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:34 pm

How much control do you have over tuning with the stock ECU though? I'd rather not spend even more money on MegaSquirt and stuff.

And back on the tranny subject, are you positive the SXT MTX will work with the SRT engine? I seem to recall a certain posting....
kc2002acr wrote:
jrm868s wrote:
2k2patriotblueneon wrote: No....furthermore the SRT tranny is stronger and will hold the HP better.
my question is will they bolt together correctly...
:? :shock: :D :rofl:

What morest dost thou wanteth?
but if I can use the SXT tranny, would I be able to use these equal length DSS SRT-4 axels (http://modernperformance.com/dcx/srt_dss_axles.shtml), or would I have to get axels for SXT transmission?
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:46 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:How much control do you have over tuning with the stock ECU though? I'd rather not spend even more money on MegaSquirt and stuff.

And back on the tranny subject, are you positive the SXT MTX will work with the SRT engine? I seem to recall a certain posting....
kc2002acr wrote:
jrm868s wrote: my question is will they bolt together correctly...
:? :shock: :D :rofl:

What morest dost thou wanteth?
but if I can use the SXT tranny, would I be able to use these equal length DSS SRT-4 axels (http://modernperformance.com/dcx/srt_dss_axles.shtml), or would I have to get axels for SXT transmission?
you have to get unequal length half-shafts for the sxt tranny.
ooh...there's a glimmer of the dream left!!!

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:02 pm

^ Do they make beefier SXT half shafts?
FEEDBACK

blue demon02
2GN Member

Post by blue demon02 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:^ Do they make beefier SXT half shafts?
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item439682.ctlg

Howell sells them but do not buy them from him. His price is real high and his info is wrong.

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:42 pm

ummm, I think you could use pt cruise axles.
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:17 am

blue demon02 wrote:
yellowpatrol wrote:^ Do they make beefier SXT half shafts?
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item439682.ctlg

Howell sells them but do not buy them from him. His price is real high and his info is wrong.
That site says at the top it is for 2000-2005 Neons, but in the "My car is a...." box it says 00-04 non-turbo neon. What happened to the 05?
FEEDBACK

jphillips
2GN Member

Post by jphillips » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:19 am

Just for argument if you had say 8.5:1 commpression and you wanted to run 93 then you would be only able to run say 30 PSI before the motor went boom. But drop the compression down to 8.0:1 and you might be able to run 35 PSI on 93 Octane.
Is that a mathmatical function? Are these boost numbers from the stock mistu turbo? PSI numbers aren't the same from different SC setups; the TD04 is a *vastly* different ammount of air compared to something like a GT60 Garret in 84 trim...

Just curious, I'd love to know where you got that information! I've never seen hard numbers that are applicable to the 2.0L (or the 2.4L for that matter). If there was a book or something that listed octane vs. cylinder compression vs. spool boost with empirical table data, it would save alot of us from some trial and error...

60trim
2GN Member

Post by 60trim » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:55 pm

If I were you, I'd get an AEM EMS, bigger injectors and tune on E85. You can run lots more boost because e85 is basically running 105 octane. Its actaully a little easier to idle on big injectors with e85 than it is gasoline. I'm jelous that you have that kind of cash to spend. Good luck
2003 Silver SXT - Totalled
2005 Silver Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo -Daily
1990 White SR powered 240sx - My sliding slut.

I miss my neon at times. She treated me well and taught me a lot about cars in general. I will always have a special place in my heart for these cars. Heres to the 2gn community.

Return to “Engine”