damn...rebuild time

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
MoparNeonMan
2GN Member

damn...rebuild time

Post by MoparNeonMan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:08 pm

well that time has come. 98K om my 03 SXT and my thrust bearing is going out. Im gonna get a used block and do a build but I need some help.

I can get an R/T SOHC long block for about 600 used. Do I stick with the OE head or do i swap to a DOHC head?

I cant decide if i want to do all motor or turbo.

All motor
PRO
If I go all motor i can have it done a lot sooner.
It would cost me a LOT less.
I can use the existing trans.
Better mileage.

CON
Pretty much where I started.
Lower hp/tq numbers

Turbo
PRO
Big numbers for less than it would take for an NA.
Turbo!
More options for power.
TURBO!

CON
expensive
need to use premium fuel
Requires stand alone management
upgrade of complete fuel system

HELP!!

Ive got plenty of time to get this done. I just cant make up my mind. Id really like to go turbo but Im trying to look at it from a long term view.
me and my car have a give and take relationship

it gives me shite and i take it

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Make sure the long block you get is for an NGC, since you have the curse. You can't really do much power N/A with NGC, since it sucks. Boost would do much better for you, even if you use a RRFPR and injectors. It wont be as effective since your air/fuel ratio will be the same, but it will be okay enough.

MoparNeonMan
2GN Member

Post by MoparNeonMan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:04 am

is there any other option other than a rrfpr?

lambostealth
2GN Member

Post by lambostealth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:38 am

portfueler, just bolt on the plate, and change the fuel pump, no retun line, or modded fuel system needed.
-Chris
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!
Hahn Turbo, Portfueler, 3"downpipe, BC Coilovers........ahh who cares.SOLD
2001 BMW 530I
2007 Honda Accord
1988 Ford F-150

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:55 am

lambostealth wrote:portfueler, just bolt on the plate, and change the fuel pump, no retun line, or modded fuel system needed.
This is a good way around it, however, there is a reason it costs $1200

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:49 pm

I still dont know why people suggest changing FPR's and portfueler before MEGASQUIRT. A standalone is 100% better than all the other band-aid engine management solutions, and with companies like MS, affordability isnt a good excuse anymore.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Craz1000
2GN Member

Post by Craz1000 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 am

MS for fuel and spark all the way, look up turbodudey for his setup im sure hell vouch for MS

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:35 am

If you're gonna stay N/A stick with the magnum head.
But, I'd sell the magnum head for ~$300 (which is about what they go for, even used), spend $100 of that to get a DOHC head, spend the other $200 to to rebuild it if necessary, and if it's not necessary, use it to get an SRT turbofold, since it will bolt right on to the DOHC head, no adapter required. Since you're willing to take your time on it, why not go all the way? And MS has been around long enough that there's a decent archive of basemaps, there will probably be several people running around with a similar setup to yours who can give you some starting numbers. You'll have to tune with a turbo anyways, only this way it gives you more control.
"If you haven't bled on it, it's not your car"

MoparNeonMan
2GN Member

Post by MoparNeonMan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:07 pm

I figured id go for the DOHC head as I have heard it responds better to boost. Im thinking of using the mag intake.....good idea?? Im not worried about port fueling....but will I have to change the injectors? Upgrade the fuel pump? Im aware that Ill need to use a mega squirt.

Does anyone know what the boost threshold of the stock srt turbofold is? Ive got the mag trans now and when I am cruising on the freeway at 65 Im running up on 3200 rpms. I dont want to be in boost all the time. Id like to push the BT up between 3500-3800.

Also I was curious, Ive read that when boosting that its best NOT to overbore. Is this true?

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:54 pm

1. The mag intake would work well for boost, as it's metal, but all of the benefits of having one (i.e. dual runners) would be moot. You'd be better off selling it and picking up a turbo manifold. You could probably get a good one used for around the same price.

2.With MS it would be a good idea to get bigger injectors, since you have control over the pulsewidth anyways, and I believe it would make your life easier to go to a return-line fuel system, though it's not necessary, as a few people have gone returnless. The fuel pump is probably a good idea, but you can probably go without it until you start pushing bigger numbers, i.e. big enough that you'll need to upgrade the internals.

3.I don't know, but I think the SRT turbofold starts spooling pretty early. Again, though, nothing wrong with just hooking it up to your SXT transmission and selling the R/T transmission.
By selling all of the R/T parts you don't need, you might be able to cover the cost of the motor and then some.
"If you haven't bled on it, it's not your car"

MoparNeonMan
2GN Member

Post by MoparNeonMan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:09 pm

For the intake since i dont really need the mag one....Ill just build a log style mani.

What numbers would be deemed "bigger"? I plan to do a forged build to begin with.

Im keeping the r/t trans. I want the higher final in it.

Return to “Engine”