Engine Reving up with out pushing gas petal

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
whiteNeon72
2GN Member

Engine Reving up with out pushing gas petal

Post by whiteNeon72 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Coming home tonight, my car just started revving up. I checked to make sure that the petal wasn't getting stuck (it wasn't). When I got home I left it in park and it started reving up to 4k. I popped the hood and made sure that the throttle cables weren't hitting anything. I run a CAI and it was wet out, but no major puddles, just a damp night. I still have warranty for 3k miles, so I'm going to pull my CAI and take up to the dealer, but I'm worried 'cause I swapped a different cluster that had about 1500 more miles than my original (hope I'm not screwed on my warrant).

Any thoughts, suggestions I can try? Or just take it to the dealer

Thanks
04 SE
Hahn Turbo kit for 03-05
Tokico Blue Struts, Hotchkis Sway Bars (front and rear), Megan Lowering Srings,
Ebay strut tower bar, NOPI cat back exhaust, Azul Sprint 5 17 X 7 wheels

clackattack44
2GN Member

Post by clackattack44 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:45 am

should be fine, and if they say anything about the cluster, tell them to shove it because the cluster has nothing to do with the revving?

have you checked vacuum lines?
If we tune your NOS timer, you'll be runnin 9's.
He has enough NOS to blow himself up

HAHA

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 am

Most likely a vacuum leak. Check the lines from the valve cover to the intake stream. Make sure the CAI has all the correct lines hooked up.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

[DJ]Tomski
2GN Member

Post by [DJ]Tomski » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 am

this has happened to me twice in the past, not recently though. my car is atx. i was at a red light and it was revving up to about 2500-3000 rpm's by itself. i put the car in gear 1 and 3 and then back to D and it stopped, don't know why. this was about a year ago and hasn't happened since.
j0n wrote:I recently discovered that I was modifying a neon and came to my senses...
:rofl:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:00 am

Check your IAC motor, it may be sticking some how. But I would do the vacuum lines first like everyone else has mentioned. Also could be a crack or hole in your brake booster diaphram. I don't know that a leak in the hvac controls would give it enough air to rev that high. No codes or CEL? A major vacuum leak will sometimes set an IAC code because the PCM can't get the rpm's/MAP to match the voltage sent to the IAC.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

white2000neon
2GN Member

Post by white2000neon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:12 am

Us SRT 4 guys have that problem a lot and its the TPS, but could also be a vacuum leak, leaky intake manifold gasket, IAC motor.
2003 SRT 4
Forward Motion E1 Turbo
Devil Own W/I with Progressive Controller
Kinetic Wastegate
MPx 3" Exhaust
MPx Intercooler
AGP Cold Air Intake
Stage 2 Injectors
Stage 3 ECU
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
180* Thermostat
AEM Wideband
Aeroforce Scanguage
DCR Oil Mod
PTP Check Valve
Exhaust Depot Hardpipes
Greddy Type RS BOV
Turbo Timer

onewickedkid05
2GN Member

Post by onewickedkid05 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:08 am

mine did that when i switched in the 60mm tb....one of the couplers that held the CAI together wasnt on all the way caused my car to idle at like 2.4 then drop to normal
CLICK HERE TO SEE MY PROJECT LOG
viewtopic.php?t=29281

Image[/u]

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:22 pm

onewickedkid05 wrote:mine did that when i switched in the 60mm tb....one of the couplers that held the CAI together wasnt on all the way caused my car to idle at like 2.4 then drop to normal
Very easy to do. Definitely check that and check vacuum lines.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

whiteNeon72
2GN Member

fixed?

Post by whiteNeon72 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:03 pm

I put stock tubing back on to take to the dealer and now all is back to normal. I'm thinking that one of the clamps or maybe the filter was off or not tight all of the way. I'm going to drive it this way and see if it is ok.

Thanks everyone
04 SE
Hahn Turbo kit for 03-05
Tokico Blue Struts, Hotchkis Sway Bars (front and rear), Megan Lowering Srings,
Ebay strut tower bar, NOPI cat back exhaust, Azul Sprint 5 17 X 7 wheels

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:14 am

Yep, If the clamp on the connector between the mani and the TB was loose it would suck air. Didn't cross my mind...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

gninja21
2GN Member

Post by gninja21 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:55 pm

I had this happen to me. I changed; the TPS, IAC, couplers and finally figured out the problem. The spring on the butterfly of the TB was shot. The butterfly would not fully close, it would be real close but not fully. This caused the IAC voltage to fluctuate(as per a third-party reader). I changed to a 60mm TB and it went away.

Return to “Engine”