ZeroChad's Log -- Parting out this weekend.

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Change of plans

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Well change of plans. Sway and intake are on hold. bunch of people are coming to visit this weekend. Sooo... I'm going to burn some of my hard earned money instead...and order stuff.

16x7 Rota Slipstreams (offset 40)
225/45/16 Tires

Now I just need to pic a color. I'm still going to be tinting my windows as well.

I'm leaning towards a darker wheels to compliment my black accents. Bronze, black or gunmetal. No polished lip for me; way too many people on that bandwagon.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:59 pm

You know.... all you'd need is a "r" and you could turn your N-E-O-N lettering into Z-E-R-O. :twisted:
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

Nutmeg
2GN Member

Post by Nutmeg » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Hey man, just wanted to say I'm liking the progress of your car!

I'm looking into getting some bronze slips for my car, but I think the steel gray or gun metal would look nice on yours.

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:02 pm

I have flat black slips on mine and love em...can't see any brake dust. Try and get 35mm offset if you can. I have the 15x7...

sorry for the poor pic quality...

close up...ignore the flaking paint on the bumper

Jerome

'03 SXT...DODGE NEON CONES

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #067

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:09 am

yellowpatrol wrote:You know.... all you'd need is a "r" and you could turn your N-E-O-N lettering into Z-E-R-O. :twisted:
Right on! lol Then we would have 2 custom badges on 2gn. Now to find a "Type R" neon.

Hey man, just wanted to say I'm liking the progress of your car!
I'm looking into getting some bronze slips for my car, but I think the steel gray or gun metal would look nice on yours.
Thanks man! Yeah if I did go lighter I would go for the steel. Right now I'm in favor of the gun metal.

I have flat black slips on mine and love em...can't see any brake dust. Try and get 35mm offset if you can. I have the 15x7...
sorry for the poor pic quality...
Thanks for the pics. Dang man, your front bumper puts my old one to shame. Anyway, the 16x7 5x100 looks to only be available with a 40mm or 48mm offset. Fitment should be ok since I have coilovers. That would put it at the edge of the fender I think...not really sure though.

Time for me to do some photochopping and make up my mind. Since this thread is 2 pages now, I'll still be updating the first post with my current projects.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 pm

I say do the bronze, but I am biased... I love the look of Bronze on Red cars :D Is your car flame red, or salsa?
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Sooo... Are you gonna do it? I can think of 1000 cars you can snag an R from at the junk yard.
sebRing
chaRgeR
avengeR
calibeR
stRatus
caRavan
cheRokee

the list goes on... :evil2:
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm

kc2002acr wrote:I say do the bronze, but I am biased... I love the look of Bronze on Red cars :D Is your car flame red, or salsa?
Flame Red baby! All the red haters can't put me to shame :-) Yeah, I'm seriously considering bronze as well. I'm making my deadline Sunday to decide on it.
Sooo... Are you gonna do it? I can think of 1000 cars you can snag an R from at the junk yard.
If I find time to go to one on my lunch break sometime; I'm thinking I will. I'd look pretty sweet. Is the font pretty similar on most of those? I've never really payed attention. Did you reuse your old lettering or get new? What did you use to re-adhere it?
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 pm

I re-used the letters, and just stuck them on with super glue.
FEEDBACK

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:14 pm

So I got a little extra time today...
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:54 pm

... and decided to run without an intake manifold?

lol jk are you painting it?
FEEDBACK

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Open head FTW!

lol. Mag mani is going in. Well its pretty much in right now. Kinda ran out of time I'll be finishing it tomorrow. Man, the driver's side support bracket was a biotch to get off. Its not going to be wired up yet, but at least it will be on.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Flat gun metallic, gun metallic, or any of the steel grays.

I like the polished lips the best though.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:12 am

invujerry wrote:Flat gun metallic, gun metallic, or any of the steel grays.

I like the polished lips the best though.
Yeah, the more I look at the lips I like them. I'm probably gunna order the gunmetal, haven't decided on the lip yet. There are a lot of ppl around here with black w/ pol lip wheels. I think on the slipstream it helps define the rims edge on the darker wheels. Without it they tend to look a little smaller than they are from a distance.

UPDATE 6-16-08
Magnum intake manifold is fully installed. Hellz Yeah! Well I haven't done the wiring yet, but I'm planning on it soon. The most important part is that it fixed my freaking vacuum leak. Wow, I was so happy when I pulled it out of gear and saw the RPMs fall down to <1k. I'm feeling more power in the midrange and some top end right now, but I can't wait till the wiring is done.

Magnum bellows too. I might fab up a hard pipe in the future, but its not a huge priority right now.

This drivers side support bracket was a huge pain. Nice amount of blue threadlocker on all the bolts. I ended up hack sawing it off and leaving the bottom most bolt in it. The bracket seamed to act as a spacer down there between the oil pan and the support to the tranny.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:57 pm

let me know what you use for a hard pipe to replace that bellows as I will have to do the same thing when I put mine on...someday (still collecting parts for the head swap)
Jerome

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 pm

Jerome Adams wrote:let me know what you use for a hard pipe to replace that bellows as I will have to do the same thing when I put mine on...someday (still collecting parts for the head swap)
Will do man. Yeah I'm still in need of a few parts before my head swap too. I just couldn't stand that vacuum leak any longer though.

Ordered my slipstreams.....yes, I hopped on the bandwagon. Gunmetal with polished lip. I also orded a house brand window switch through summit racing. $55 shipped I think it was, not bad. Now to find some tires.

EDIT: Flat black it is then. They were out of stock on the others.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 pm

ZeroChad wrote:
Jerome Adams wrote:let me know what you use for a hard pipe to replace that bellows as I will have to do the same thing when I put mine on...someday (still collecting parts for the head swap)
Will do man. Yeah I'm still in need of a few parts before my head swap too. I just couldn't stand that vacuum leak any longer though.

Ordered my slipstreams.....yes, I hopped on the bandwagon. Gunmetal with polished lip. I also orded a house brand window switch through summit racing. $55 shipped I think it was, not bad. Now to find some tires.

EDIT: Flat black it is then. They were out of stock on the others.

You should wait for the ones you want! You will have these rims for awhile and it is worth the wait to get what you really want (I had to wait for my flat blacks...they had gunmetal in stock when I ordered...LOL)

As far as the intake mani, if you remove the cai brace from the battery tray, would the cai reach the manifold? I was thinking about altering the brace and trying to make the non-mag bellows tube work (aem cai) or maybe getting a silicone coupler and using that to make up the difference? It is hard to tell what would work by just looking at it and I want to have everything ready to make the swap as painless as possible.
Jerome

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Jerome Adams wrote: You should wait for the ones you want! You will have these rims for awhile and it is worth the wait to get what you really want (I had to wait for my flat blacks...they had gunmetal in stock when I ordered...LOL)

As far as the intake mani, if you remove the cai brace from the battery tray, would the cai reach the manifold? I was thinking about altering the brace and trying to make the non-mag bellows tube work (aem cai) or maybe getting a silicone coupler and using that to make up the difference? It is hard to tell what would work by just looking at it and I want to have everything ready to make the swap as painless as possible.
I was going to wait, but I kept changing my mind. I'm really bad about things like this where I have so many choices. Flat black is what I was originally thinking, before I gave myself time to choose, I think of it more as destiny lol.

I actually did remove that brace. I had the bellows replacement that came with my ebay intake hooked on to the end before the filter. This is how they had showed it in their pick. I was a bit of a n00b at the time, but it did make a really sweet, deep resonate sound. I think what I'm goint to try first is to use that straight tube and a 45degree coupler, if I can find one. From the looks of it, it should be a sweet fit, but things always end up going wrong on my car. I'll give it a shot though.

Finally got the rear sway on tonight. Now, to do something about those 4 broken bolts in the front.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 pm

Flat black Slipstreams FTW! :thumbup:

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:06 pm

03blackrt wrote:Flat black Slipstreams FTW! :thumbup:
Right on!

Got the tracking numbers today. Wheels are coming in out of Cali and the tires out of Florida. Hoping to have them on by next Friday if things go well.

I received my Summit window switch yesterday, not a bad piece for $50. I want to put all of my relays and switches in an enclosure, so I'm holding of wiring until I find something slick.

On a side note, here's some pics of the BC V1s.
I really need to start remembering when I have manual focus on.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Those look a lot like Megans. How's the ride?
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 pm

glasswars wrote:Those look a lot like Megans. How's the ride?
Yeah the megan ones are essentially rebranded version 1 BCs. I'm liking the ride so far, its firm, but not unbearable. But I'm not going to throw my final opinion out there until I get an alignment and put my front sway bar on.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:59 pm

what tires did you end up ordering?
Jerome

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 pm

I went with some 225/45/ R16s. Not too many brands to choose from, so I went with the cheapies for now. Nexen N3000. We'll see how they perform.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Let me know how they do!
FEEDBACK

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:06 pm

UPDATE 6-23-08

So last weekend I got pulled over. Blah. Didn't end up getting a ticket, and we were semi-lost at the time so it worked out, but was still lame. Apparently my white license plate bulb is "blue" so I got a warning...

Made a small hole in my dash today and hid my scanguage wire. Now I just need to clean up the residue from where the "pad" came unglued on the top of my dash.

Tires are here! Dang these things are HUGE. 225/45/ZR16 Nexen n3000. They cost me $320 shipped. Compared to the mountain bike tire in the pic, I'd say these are going to improve my handling a lot. I currently have the stock sized 185/60/15.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Whoa, cops must be huge dicks around your area. I still haven't gotten pulled over for anything on my car.
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Opi wrote:Whoa, cops must be huge dicks around your area. I still haven't gotten pulled over for anything on my car.
No kidding. They didn't say anything about my clear license plate cover though. I think they're just crazy bored.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:13 pm

Sweet. My wheels arrived ... Well to my dad's house. Nonetheless, I'm headed there on Sunday. Monday I'll get them mounted/balanced/aligned. Then I'll be driving a handling beast!

Tonight Zero's getting a nice clean down and I'm gunna take a few pre-wheel slammed pics for a before and after. I just bought a tripod today, so these should turn out wonderful.

Tommorow I'm painting my calipers. Might get the windows tinted, also gunna get the front sway bar bolts drilled and removed. Hopefully that'll be pretty cheap, cuz I don't want to deal with it anymore.

Also. I'm purchasing a srt turbofold. I'm gunna use DanteNeon's specs, my r/t head, and the manifold to develop a two piece adapter similar to Maddogs. If the price is reasonable, I might try and do a group buy.

EDIT: So much for pics. Thunderstorms ahoy! Oh well the GF and I just bought Rockband (Wii)
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:46 am

I have a turbofold for sale! Your car will be a lot sweeter when all that's done!
FEEDBACK

Return to “Progress/Project Log”