Donkey's Graphite: front's painted =)

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Donkey's Graphite: front's painted =)

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:16 pm

Updated: August 15, 2008. 3:37am Afghanistan.

I guess I might as well start this log now that I have bought a few parts. I won't be able to post pictures for some time, but I can always bump this thread back up when I return home and start working on my car.

Things I have bought so far, and status of:
Black Housing Headlights (xtralights.com) - Package Delivered!
Smoked Side Markers (xtralights.com) - Package Delivered!
S-Style CF Eyelids (carbon by design) - Package Delivered!
Niteshade tint spray for taillights - Package Delivered!
MPx Shorty Antenna - Package Delivered!
JT AutoStyle Lambo Door Kit - Package Delivered!
SRT-4 Gauge Cluster (eBay) - Package Delivered!

Anyway, I shipped these to a friend's house and she's going to hold on to this stuff till I return from deployment.

Any input or advice on what you think would look good on the car will help. I eventually plan on doing an SRT type conversion (I'll be keeping the 2.0L, but using the AGP Turbo after my second deployment, just wanna make it "fun" for now). I already have a list of what I want with prices and links, but here's a few that I'll list...

Mopar Stage 3 Coilover Kit
Eibach Swaybar Kit
Hawk Brake Pads
60mm TB
Unorthodox UPD
Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust (having difficulty finding a dual end exhaust that'll fit the 2.0L)
Mopar STS (or maybe the MoPure?)
And some ignition parts upgrades. Not sure though, think I need it for now? Like I said, it'll be a year at least before my car sees boost.

Well, thanks for any replies and I'll be sure to keep this thread updated, especially when I return to the beloved U.S. of A. :D
Last edited by 2005.Neon.SXT on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:53 pm

cant wait till u get back to get these things on.
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Oh I know, I can't wait either. I'll have my friend take pictures so I can post 'em, but I really can't do much from there lol.

I'm sure the pictures will be such a tease though... I must see the products though lol. Hope the Lambo Door installation isn't too difficult.

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:43 pm

ill put da parts on for u lol
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Lol yea, but my car's in storage. Military storage, so at least it gets started once a month... I'm still worried for the car.

Plus, if you wanna drive from the west coast to the east coast to help me out... have at it lol.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:58 pm

So my friend got 2 packages today. One's from Modern Performance and the other is from JT Auto Styles. Which means my tint spray, shorty antenna, and lambo door kit arrived. Yay! I'll see if I can get her to take some pictures and I'll post them later. Sucks I gotta wait months and months to install them...

2002TuRboNeoN
2GN Member

Post by 2002TuRboNeoN » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:01 am

thats great..when r u due backmy buddys stationed in hong kong somehwere on a base for 3 yrs..his cars just sitting around my house kinda feel bad i really wanna mod it but he buys all sorts of dumd things like racing seats for his stock eclipse...be safe over there
SRT-4 Swap into the 02, CAI, unorthodox UDP, turbo xs RFL BOV, Boomba solid MM, 3" downpipe

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 pm

So I finally figured this whole PayPal thing out... and I made my first purchase using the such: got an SRT Gauge Cluster off eBay. Pretty stoked since it was the only one showing.

I'm sure the whole thing is just plug and play, yea? And I know there's an issue with the handbrake like being on and stuff, but I'll find that thread later when I actually get to install the thing.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 pm

The SRT cluster is meant to "talk" only to the SRT PCM. Just as the SXT cluster is only meant to talk to the SXT/SE PCM, etc. You will have a difference in RPMs and your mileage will not be able to be changed. Just an FYI.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:09 pm

I figured the odometer part and was just going to keep record of the mileage before the swap, but I didn't know about the RPM issue. So there's no way to fix that? How much of a difference is there?

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:12 pm

you should look at magnaflow's website if you haven't already that is where I got mine from, and I have a 2.0, I believe the part # is 15801. Or you could buy mine from me in a bout year's time when I upgrade to a bigger exhaust for my turbo project :lol:
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:02 pm

LionheartedSXT wrote:you should look at magnaflow's website if you haven't already that is where I got mine from, and I have a 2.0, I believe the part # is 15801. Or you could buy mine from me in a bout year's time when I upgrade to a bigger exhaust for my turbo project :lol:
I will have to do that. I wouldn't mind buying yours, but I also will be doing turbo.. well, in about 2 years after I get back from my second deployment. After I get home from this one, I'm working on handling and how fun it is to drive the car... after my second, it's boost time ^_^

I'll post pictures later of the shit I've got so far... nothing installed, apparently, but yea.. just some pics. Everybody loves pics! yayaayyay!!

JJR760
2GN Member

Post by JJR760 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Lol im excited for ya man its gotta suck waiting to put this shit on but oh well october is coming fast hang in there.

Do you know where your going for your senond deployment?

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 pm

2005.Neon.SXT wrote:I figured the odometer part and was just going to keep record of the mileage before the swap, but I didn't know about the RPM issue. So there's no way to fix that? How much of a difference is there?
I can't say for sure, but there have been a few people to complain on these forums when putting the SRT cluster in a car with a non-SRT PCM. I can't fathom that its a huge difference. I recall a silver car that had that problem recently.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:11 pm

JJR760 wrote:Lol im excited for ya man its gotta suck waiting to put this shit on but oh well october is coming fast hang in there.

Do you know where your going for your senond deployment?
Yea, I hate the fact that I'm getting all this shit and this is the first car I get to work on, but I have to wait to come home... 2 more months man!!! Ahh.. lol.

Apparently we're slotted for Iraq next year, around the Fall time frame (August is what I've heard). Shit changes, so we'll see... hopefully it doesn't change to where it's sooner :)
LilSparkPlug wrote:I can't say for sure, but there have been a few people to complain on these forums when putting the SRT cluster in a car with a non-SRT PCM. I can't fathom that its a huge difference. I recall a silver car that had that problem recently.
That's interesting to hear... seems like a lot of folk like putting the SRT cluster in their SXT's. But then again maybe I was reading those reviews for their cluster on cars with the SRT swap, not sure. Well, if anything I can always just remove it.. save it, sell it, whatnot. I hope it doesn't bug me too much.

So I was going to post pictures, but for some reason imageshack isn't working for me... grrr *shakes fist* I'm going to try to upload it elsewhere real fast, before I have to get off shift.

*******EDIT*******

Alright, found a site to upload pictures to. There's only 3, so don't get toooo excited... plus, they're not even installed [yet], so that majorly sucks as well... Anyway, here are the pics.

JT AutoStyle's Lambo Door Kit.

Niteshade Tint Spray and the Shorty Antenna [insane how short that thing is lol].

Carbon Fiber S-Style Eyelids.
Last edited by 2005.Neon.SXT on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJR760
2GN Member

Post by JJR760 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Lol it will come dont worry.

I have a srt cluster in my car and its worked no problem speed is accurate milage is accurate the only thing is the brake light but i popped out the led and it works fine so idk who says it has problems but i have seen none

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:27 pm

JJR760 wrote:Lol it will come dont worry.

I have a srt cluster in my car and its worked no problem speed is accurate milage is accurate the only thing is the brake light but i popped out the led and it works fine so idk who says it has problems but i have seen none
Well that's good to hear. I understand where Crystal (LilSparkPlug) is coming from though, as far as RPM's being off and stuff. I'm still gonna try it out, probably won't be too bad. And I have heard about the brake light problem, but there's a how to on here somewhere to fix that. I always use my handbrake so it's not like I don't check to see if it's engaged or not... I remember when I first started driving stick with my '95 *reminisces for a second* lol yea... fun[ny] times... "What in the hell is that burning smell??...." lol.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:24 pm

So this isn't really a log update, but I just wanted everyone to know that I am finally out of the hell hole we called "Afghanistan" the last 7 months!! Still overseas, but we will be home in less than a week!! Then the work on the car begins :D all my parts are already at my buddy's house where we'll be going for leave, then I go to Hawaii for a week!! Can't wait to be home.

Nothing new on the list of things I got. My buddy's selling his front seat section (the Viper Inspired seats) from his SRT-4. I was debating on buying his hood, but I won't be getting a body kit any time soon so that gap between the SRT hood and the stock SXT bumper would bug me.. so I've decided against the hood, for now. I've also been contemplating a lot on whether or not to get struts & springs or coilovers. I want coilovers, but if I get coilovers I want to go big and get the Mopar Stage 3 set. But my buddy's bias against mopar parts (he drives an '03 Yellow SRT-4) and suggests against getting Mopar. Any opinions?

That's about it for now.. I'm going to be purchasing an Alpine flip up dvd player for the head unit and my buddy's going to give me his 2x 12's and some Xplod amp for free (subs are JL Audio). Not fond of those two companies, but they're free.. can't beat that lol.

Can't wait to post pictures of my work and car!

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:09 pm

AWESOME! Congrats on finally getting home! If I were to buy coilovers, personally I would buy nothing BUT Mopar. They have a lifetime warranty on them, and they are the only coilovers to do so. They offer two stage 3 kits and a stage 2 kit. In my opinion, if there is a Mopar part available, I usually buy than instead of the other parts from aftermarket companies. I.e. my brakes, tension struts, springs, wires, clutch, etc. etc.

I have stage 1 springs and love them also, I really don't think you'll hear too much negativity about the Mopar coilovers. The only thing is if you want to slam the car (i.e. Glasswars' style) then the Mopar's aren't for you.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks :D although we're not home quite yet, in "transit".. it's just awesome to be out of Afghanistan finally.

I'll take a look at Glasswar's log. Thanks for the pointers.

theTeejmiester
2GN Member

Post by theTeejmiester » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:26 pm

go low or go home...

get some BC or megan coilovers over the mopar parts.i dont buy most of the mopar parts because they are over priced in many cases,but it is your car,and i know many people who do use mopar,like crystal marie.but after the last three months of research on the subject i think that a after market coil is more well rounded.and now that i said that i will put on my flame suit and prepare to be burned.....:violent3:
Ziptie's come in handy when a prostitute gets mouthy or reluctant
*eye twitches*
I like people who BUY a 10 sec car and then brag about it. Thats like hiring someone to bang your wife and then bragging about the kid

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 pm

So I'm back in the states and I finally picked up my car! Missed my baby... 7 months... *big sigh* lol...

Anyway, I'll be heading to my buddy's house this weekend for leave and that's where all my car parts are at! Can't wait, but I won't probably be posting any updates till after my trip to Hawaii, but I will post pictures and stuff!

Laterz

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey, welcome home! The Mopar sts will be in the mail tomorrow and will reach you by Monday. Hope you like it bud! Good luck with the other mods! Like I said in the PM's...better post some pics!
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanks! And you better believe there'll be pictures, though I'm not a good photographer like Crystal Marie, but I do like taking pictures (I got about 750 pictures from my deployment, about 550 are mine that I took... other 200 I jacked from other people lol).

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:38 am

You should post up some of the best ones in the OT Media thread! :) I'm anxious to see pictures!

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:03 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:You should post up some of the best ones in the OT Media thread! :) I'm anxious to see pictures!
Pictures from my deployment? Definitely. We're about to hit the road (we got the next 3 weeks off) to my buddy's house where we'll be working on our cars so I'll do it there.

I like your new sig pic btw.. fukn love those headlights >.< lol..

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Okay I shipped the shifter out to ya at about 9:30 this morning. The guy said it'll be there Monday, so you're good to go!
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 pm

Ha ha thanks Donkey!!! :) They're coming off for the winter and going into hiding. I'm going to try to fix the condensation issue I'm having with the driver's side one.

And yes...shots of the deployment, please. Thanks for serving our country. Hats off to ya!

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:49 am

supertrick_05, thanks man! Just got to the house last night and took a gander at the few parts I bought. No performance parts, of course, but you gotta start somewhere! My list of things is at the top of this thread so I won't waste time listing what I got ^_^

LilSparkPlug, condensation issue? That sucks.. hope you get that fixed! If not, umm.. *ahem* I'll buy them.. -.- lol. And I'm going to go through my pics right now and pic a few good ones to post just for now (I got 750, so all my "good pics" might be a lot.. lol). It's a pleasure to serve my country. Afghanistan was a nice... lil "vacation"... *rolls eyes* lol..

*EDIT*

Actually I will comment on the things I bought listed at the top of the thread, now that I looked at it lol.

The tint spray hasn't made it to the house because my friend said there was issues with sending areosal cans. I also bought a fuel rail cover (one that says "2.0L 16 VALVE) from someone here on the forums. And I bought the gauge cluster and pillar gauges from krc21, but he's yet to respond to any of my messages.. pretty upset about that since I was excited to put those in this weekend.

That's about it for updates on parts. I have my lambo door kit, my black housing headlights, CF S-Style eyelids, triple pod pillar, and rail cover. My buddy has his racing seats downstairs, so once he gets his SRT from the shop on Monday I'll have the Viper Inspired front seats =D And then the STS should be in Monday so I'll have that as well.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:54 pm

Yeah I built them, and then sent them down to TX to have them aimed/sealed, etc. The kid fucked up bigtime in the sealing and the driver's side one gets condensated in the rain. It does dry up, but its still very irritating. I'm gonna crack it back open and re-seal it.

As for your parts are you going to be installing them all at once? Then pictures....as you well know.....are required by 2gn law.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”