How To: Dash Match Pillars and Dye Headliner

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

How To: Dash Match Pillars and Dye Headliner

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Due to many requests through PM's I am posting my own personal how-to on how I matched my pillars to my dash and dyed my headliner. I understand there is another thread, but this is a different way to do things, and the headliner dying uses different products.

I did this mod nearly four years ago (both pillars and headliner with the exception of the triple pod which was done in December of last year. There are no chips, nothing has faded and this is the way I did it.

First you must remove the pillars from the car. Here is how:

Front A-Pillars and Rear C-Pillars: Put your fingers underneath the top of the pillar and pull downward and towards yourself. These will pop right out.

B-Pillars: To remove these, put your fingers underneath the triangle shaped cover over the seatbelt and push upward. You will find a large Torx bolt holding the seatbelt in. Its a T-50. Using a 1/2" drive rachet and the proper Torx socket, remove this. Using anything smaller than a 1/2" drive if these have never been removed before will potentially strip them. Once the seatbelt is removed the pillar will pull downward like the other four.

If you want to dye your headliner, now is a good time as you need to remove the pillars to remove the liner. Here is how that is done.

Sunroof Headliners, if you don't have a Sunroof or "Oh Shit" handles skip to number 5.

1. On each of the "Oh-shit" handles there are little pieces which push in. Grab a flathead screwdriver (if you don't have nails) and pop these out to remove the pieces. Once the pieces are removed there are Torx and Philips head screws that need to be removed. Take those down and the "oh-shit" handles will be removed.

2. Remove the welt trim from around the Sunroof panel. Be CAREFUL with the welt trim, if you bend it too harshly the metal inside of it will crack, and its quite expensive from the dealership. Put it in a safe place and try to keep it in the shape it was in originally. Try not to stretch it out.

3. To remove the Sunshade look up at your sunroof, there are three torx screws on either side of the glass on the black reinforcement perpendicular to the glass. Remove these six screws and the glass pops upwards. Shut the Sunshade and standing on the rocker panel look down at the sunshade. You will see metal clips (four of them) in white plastic clips. Push these in with your flat head screwdriver and the sunshade will pop out.

4. To remove the sunroof button place a flat head screw driver underneath the button and pry gently outward. It will pop out so you can unplug it. There is also a metal bracket behind it that you may want to remove. Mine had a phillips head screw, but some others I have seen have had Torx screws. Set these aside.

5. Next is the visors. These are pretty easy. There are phillips and torx screws holding them in. Remove both of these and the visor will come down. Next remove the bolts on the clips for the visors and take those off as well.

6. Head back to the rear of the headliner. There are three plastic rivets/Christmas trees holding it up. You may want to purchase some black ones beforehand so they match the headliner, or you could simply spray yours while you are spraying the liner if you wanted to. The best way to remove these is with needlenose pliers or wire cutters. Take a flathead screwdriver and pry down each side gently. Once you get it down enough to fit the needlenose pliers or wire cutter in there, do so. Then wiggle them downward in a left and right motion so as not to damage these.

Open all four doors. Pull down your door trim weatherstripping. Put your front seats all the way forwards and lean them all the way back. Pull the headliner out whichever door is more convienient for you. All four doors need to be opened and remain open as you pulled the weatherstripping down.

NOTE: I removed the clips under my headliner for my sunroof so that the sunshade retracts COMPLETELY. This way the sunshade doesn't sit with the edge of the sunroof. They are two small white clips at the end of the sunshade's tracks on the roof. Just pop them out and the sunshade will retract completely out of sight. Look at my pictures to see what I mean.

Now that you have everything removed.....its time to prep.

Here is what you will need for the process:
Pillars:

NOTE!: If you have EVER put a silicone based product, I.e. Armor All, Son of a Gun, etc on your pillars the paint WILL not adhere properly even with the adhesion promoter. You will need to strip the plastic of the remnants of the product.

- Gray Scuff pads, red ones are far too harsh for the plastic and can leave marks. Make sure to use these wet not dry.
- Wax/tar/grease remover, Dawn or a car wash soap without silicone or wax in it.
- SEM Classic Coat 17233 DAIM/CHRYS AZ AGATE - 1 can if you spray heavy buy 2, but you should only need 1. You could ALSO use Mopar Dark Slate Gray interior paint, available at the dealership for around $9 a can. They're little though keep that in mind.
- BullDog Adhesion Promoter - 1 can

Headliner/Visors:

- DupliColor Vinyl/Fabric Dye Spray Can - 4 cans (You'll use ~3.5) to get it REALLY black without streaks

Now we can get started on the pillars.

1. Clean the pillars well with your soap/wax remover or the like.
2. Take your gray scuff pad (wet) and with a bit of soap added wetsand the pillars. Don't try to gouge into them, just wetsand them gently for an abrasive surface. Dry them well.
3. Clean them again, but don't touch them with bare hands, use a powder free latex glove or something of the sort, your skins natural oils will cause fisheyes.
4. Spray 2-3 coats of the Bulldog ONLY. Letting it flash 2-3 minutes in between coats.
5. Now apply your 2-3 coats ONLY of the SEM color. Spray this after the 2-3 minute BullDog flash time. Wet on wet is best for Bulldog to work as intended.
6. Allow them to sit at least 24 hours before handling and reinstalling. Clear coat is not neccessary.

Headliner:

1. Make sure the headliner is clean and free of any debris or stains. If there are stains from smoking, or other random acts of mindlessness the easiest way to remove them is by using glass cleaner (yes...glass cleaner) and a lint free towel.
2. Taking your Dupli Color (first can) start spraying. Spray your first coat left to right with 50% overlap on each coat to be sure.
3. Your next coat should be front to back
4. Then spray Diagnolly from one corner to the other. Spraying in these different patterns allows you to get the most coverage of the threads on the headliner.
5. After your last coat, using a fine hair brush, brush the fabric. Don't do this when the paint is wet. Wait a couple of minutes after you spray your last coat and are satisfied with it to brush the headliner. Brush it LIGHTLY. The intention of this is so that your headliner won't feel hard as a rock when you touch it.
6. Wait at least 3-4 hours before handling these. You put alot of paint on the fabric, you don't want to wear it, plus it will smell for quite some time. Its best to wait 24 hours before reinstallation.

Visors:

1. Tape off the stickers and mirrors using painter's masking tape, not regular masking tape it doesn't always work well with automotive paints.
2. Repeat steps 2-6 on the headliner section.

Reinstall everything after 24 hours and you're done!!! Here are some pictures of mine.

Visors:

Image[/b]

I guess I should update this for 2010, I've since done this on the SXT and here are some updated pictures of the SRT with all of the headliner hardware done black to match:

And the SXT:

Last edited by LilSparkPlug on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Now THAT is a well-done how-do, my dear! I'll be following this when I do this...eventually :)
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Very Very Nice... Something on my list of things to do.

Thanks a lot!! :thumbup:
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

thttxboy
2GN Member

Post by thttxboy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Wow no offence to ur car ( wich is beautiful by the way) now that I actually see how it looks with it all black I actually dont like it. I was planning on doing this since i got a spare headliner but I's just too much black for me. But man ur quality of work is amazing, u would never guess that headliner was another color before.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:12 pm

None taken at all. Different strokes for different folks. I absolutely love it, but its not for everyone. :) And its not all black persay, since the pillars are dark quartz like the dash...which is more gray. If you were to paint them black they wouldn't match, it would look ghetto. :)

Oh and thank you! :blob3:

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 am

Nice Write-up LSP :thumbup: One question though, Would i be able to use this method to do teh WHOLE interior? I got the crappy :quotes: Taupe :quotes: color crap and i want the black look.
-J.J. | Official I sold my Neon Member #008
86.5 Nissan Hardbody LB- will be for sale soon...

1989 Yota PU- "Tammy" -Rest In Pieces...

2000 Plym Neon- "Stacy" -Sold 3/25/09 =(
Ntyvirus1 wrote:im debadged so i just drive a gray thing.

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:49 am

Torx bolt is a size 50 for the front seatbelts on the B pillar.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks Swordfish, couldn't remember its been almost four years. This was all from memory.

Jetas, yes the same procedure for the pillars would be used for the entire dash.

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 am

LilSparkPlug wrote:
Jetas, yes the same procedure for the pillars would be used for the entire dash.
Would i be able to do this to the doors. I doubt it but i still gotta ask

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 am

The doors are just made of plastic. Honestly your best bet to make your life easier would be to find a wrecked car with someone selling the door panels off it. Even if its an SRT. This way you can swap out. But yes....same thing for the doors. Just make sure you dismantle them completely meaning the handle, buttons, etc. so you get a good color change.

Ragin_SRT
n00b

Post by Ragin_SRT » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm

subscribed & nice how to!!

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:19 am

LilSparkPlug wrote:The doors are just made of plastic. Honestly your best bet to make your life easier would be to find a wrecked car with someone selling the door panels off it. Even if its an SRT. This way you can swap out. But yes....same thing for the doors. Just make sure you dismantle them completely meaning the handle, buttons, etc. so you get a good color change.
Alright thanks. il be doing my interior soon :thumbup:

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks Ragin!!

YW Jetas, good luck!!!

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Great how-to! Had been thinking about doing this for awhile... still debating on it :lol:
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks Jason! :) I love it....most do, some don't. Its very easy to do and will last awhile if done right. I think it would compliment your black R/T nicely....that sexy little car.

Ragin_SRT
n00b

Post by Ragin_SRT » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:31 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Thanks Jason! :) I love it....most do, some don't. Its very easy to do and will last awhile if done right. I think it would compliment your black R/T nicely....that sexy little car.
how many coats did u put on??

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:55 am

Of which?

Headliner: Probably 5 or 6 when it was fully covered, possibly more.

Pillars: 3 only. No more, not even if you want to.

NeonNick925
2GN Member

Post by NeonNick925 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Nice & fully detailed write-up. Results are clean. Car looks bada$$ too. Keep up the hard work

NeonNick
2000 Plymouth Neon ACR/T hybrid 3 speed auto•now a 5 speed•

wiggyx
2GN Member

Post by wiggyx » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:10 am

Badass write-up Crystal. I would totally do this if I weren't in the middle of like six other projects.

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 am

so when you said a fine brush do u mean like a hair brush or what? just tryin to see it and makin sure i would have all the RIGHT supplies.. and how does yours feel? like does it still feel like the normal headliner? cuz i was thinkin about maybe recovering it in some extra fabric like from walmart..

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

theTeejmiester
2GN Member

Post by theTeejmiester » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:10 am

if you want to recover it go to a local fabric store and get some headliner fabric,i bought three yards that i have sitting in my closet for 30 bucks with the sales they have going on right now at joanes.its a shame i may never use it though,i covered my headliner with suede to match my leather seats...impulse buys ftl
Ziptie's come in handy when a prostitute gets mouthy or reluctant
*eye twitches*
I like people who BUY a 10 sec car and then brag about it. Thats like hiring someone to bang your wife and then bragging about the kid

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:37 pm

theTeejmiester wrote:if you want to recover it go to a local fabric store and get some headliner fabric,i bought three yards that i have sitting in my closet for 30 bucks with the sales they have going on right now at joanes.its a shame i may never use it though,i covered my headliner with suede to match my leather seats...impulse buys ftl
Now you're making me want to go out and buy some suede. MUST STICK TO THE BUDGET.
ImageImage

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:51 am

Late reply but you could use a fine hair brush....yes. Mine feels like a regular headliner.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:41 am

Excellent write up. Damn now I'm gonna have to do all this stuff...

:) Thanks LSP
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Late reply but you could use a fine hair brush....yes. Mine feels like a regular headliner.
We talking metal bristles? Plastic? The kind with knobs on the ends of them, or just straight?
ImageImage

Sykora
2GN Member

Post by Sykora » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 am

Crystal- is there a special story behind your steering wheel cover??
-Eric

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:13 pm

Where do you find the Bulldog adhesion promoter? I've looked at a few stores around here and hobby lobby, and I haven't seen any yet.

I'll try some hardware stores tomorrow I suppose.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:33 pm

ZeroChad wrote:Where do you find the Bulldog adhesion promoter? I've looked at a few stores around here and hobby lobby, and I haven't seen any yet.

I'll try some hardware stores tomorrow I suppose.
I asked her about this, apparently any ol' adhesion promoter will work. I plan on using the SEM XXX stuff.
ImageImage

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:09 am

I did this last night. Turned out really well, except I think the sun shade might have warped a bit. Also I broke the handle for it when I was prying it off. And I left right after I painted the sun shade so it's a bit harder feeling. And the brush I used wasn't as fine as it should have been. But it still looks really good. Except one spot. But I'm saying though! :P
ImageImage

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Where can I get a couple of cans of the
SEM Classic Coat 17233 DAIM/CHRYS AZ AGATE. I take it its from the dealer.

Do you get the other stuff from a shop locally crystal or online.
Only thing Im worried about it how hard the fabric will feel after spraying it. I guess if u brush it after the last coat it will be ok!!!!

Return to “HT Interior”