sidepipe87: A few overdue updates

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Just put a pair of these smoked bumper lenses on, and it really cleans the car up! they look awesome!

^like those, but smoked.

Also, took the billet shorty antenna off and put the stock one back on. Whoever says it doesn't affect reception lies. It sucked and I couldn't deal with static so It's staying off unless I put the car in a show.

mods to come:

cudas - waiting to put on
srt-4 spoiler - waiting for the kid to gimme a quote to ship
AEM intake - waiting for it to arrive from forum member
Mopar/APC 3D Tails - waiting for them to arrive
SRT-4 aluminum door sills (couldn't find the others and my sills are scratched) - waiting for them to arrive

hmmm.... i think that's all for now.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Fantastic choice on the tails! I would be all over those if my car weren't red. I just like how my stock tails blend right in with my car as it is now.

I'm all for personalizing the car but just a word of warning, you might regret putting on that SRT spoiler. You'll have every rice boy in town revving at you from now on if you do.
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm

thnx, yeah I got a good deal on them, or at least I feel I did. $80 brand new in box, and I like the way they are Silver and Black. It will go with the theme of my car well.

Yeahh, I know, but I really like the look of the SRT-4 spoiler and the ricers already wanna race me.... I guess it's the throaty dual exhaust... Also, I'm tall and the SXT spoiler is right in my line of vision, and I think I'd be able to look right under the SRT one.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Well I got my Mopar 3D tails last Thursday, and decided to throw them on Friday morning. Took all of about 3 minutes total. They look awesome in my opinion! Pics will follow as soon as I get them uploaded to photobucket.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 am

Pics of the new Mopar 3Ds right after I put them on

Before:

After:

Sorry for the crappy pics I just took a few pics from the hood of my mom's caravan real fast.

I know a lot of people hate the Mopar 3Ds but I really like the way they look on my car. and I think they go with my silver and flat black theme I have going.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Well I went to my brothers house this afternoon and we put the cuda stripes on in his garage! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take any pics so I'll do that soon and post them up. I can honestly say I don't wish to work with vinyl again. It was pretty tedious and I ended up with a few air bubbles I couldn't work out. All in all I think they look great though, and I'm hoping heat and the sun may help shrink them out. The quality of the stripes is interesting though. We were noticing that the different strobe pieces vary in height. Its minor, but still annoying. I'll get pics up as soon as possible. I think it looks pretty damn good!

I'm also about to buy a set of R/T silverstones, so I'm going to try to sell the srt-4 wheels that I had bought for it already.

-Ryan

vntned
2GN Member

Post by vntned » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Your car is looking sweet! Cant wait to see Silverstones on it with the cuda stripes!

You should get the Silverstones done in a dark silver! A little contrast would be sweet!

Then Satin Black the trunk lid between the tail lights! It would be perfect with the Cuda stripes! OldSkool FTW!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:21 pm

thanks man! haha i just had that thought about the trunk blackout myself too! hmmm.... I might look into it. I know they sell a big vinyl piece that you can apply. That has the ability to make it look even more awesome I suspect. And yeah, I'm stoked about the Silverstones. Now I need to sell my srt-4s

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:41 pm

Car is coming along great so far man! Good choices on your mods :thumbup:

I understand about the driveway scrape problem. I have friends in Squirrel Hill and South Park. I can't park in their driveways at all :lol:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah man, it sucks! I live like 10 minutes from squirrel hill and drive through there everyday on my way to work. I'd like to level the ride by lowering the rear and that will hypothetically bring the front up some, but we'll see. That's not in the immediate future.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:04 pm

Like the way its coming along cant wait for some more stuff!
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Speaking of which, heres my wishlist for this car:

-tinted windows (not too dark)
-install AEM intake
-install silverstones
-lower (maybe... Pgh roads suck, and I already scrape)
-new speakers (eventually)
-power folding mirrors (possibly painted silver)
-6 disc cd changer (possibly)
-silver SRT spoiler (hoping to swap with a member here)

I'm sure theres other things I can't think of off the top of my head too haha

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Well I went to my brothers house this afternoon and we put the cuda stripes on in his garage! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take any pics so I'll do that soon and post them up. I can honestly say I don't wish to work with vinyl again. It was pretty tedious and I ended up with a few air bubbles I couldn't work out. All in all I think they look great though, and I'm hoping heat and the sun may help shrink them out. The quality of the stripes is interesting though. We were noticing that the different strobe pieces vary in height. Its minor, but still annoying. I'll get pics up as soon as possible. I think it looks pretty damn good!

I'm also about to buy a set of R/T silverstones, so I'm going to try to sell the srt-4 wheels that I had bought for it already.

-Ryan
The Cuda stripes are supposed to vary in height (getting slightly larger) towards the rear of the car. The stripes are also supposed to lean forwards and not backwards. Thats the nature of them, not the quality. Its just how they are supposed to be.

For the holes, get a tiny pin or sewing needle and pop a hole in the bubbles, that should help alleviate the trapped air when the sun hits it.
Last edited by LilSparkPlug on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah cuda stripes are hard granted most people have the good sense to buy them and not try to make them out of duct tape(this whole "tape stripe" thing is getting out of hand)

As for the paint job being as I am me of course I voted for flat black.
Krylon=the best easy to go on and the button is the softest(your fingers will get tired) it is also the least glossy that still looks smooth when dry

Dave Coleman's 240sx in Krylon

Some people dont realize how flat flat black if you want some shine go for satin black. Cans from mopar are expensive, the best bet is Color Place(Wal-Mart brand) gloss black if you be sure to do it on a hot day it comes out very dull and you can paint the whole car for $10

I'll try for a better pic but this is my acr with the front bumper done with the color place spray and the rest done with satin black spray

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:27 pm

CrystalMarie - I understand that, but you need to see what I'm talking about firsthand and you'd understand... It doesn't seem right. There is no pattern to the size differences between them. I thought maybe I stretched them by squeegeeing, but there's no way, it's just the way it is made I guess.

As for the bubbles, I was puncturing them with a sharp X-acto and trying to flatten them. It worked for most of them.

Bone-Yard - I was polling as to whether I should paint the lip kit insert flat black (which I did), not the car, people seem to be confused.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:43 pm

Here are the long awaited pics! Disregard the dirty car. I don't wanna wash it for a few days to let these cure, or something like that....

My new smoked turn signal lenses

eBay aluminum door sills. I know it's ricy that they say SRT-4 and I have a neon but It's all they had. It's not really brushed... they're stickers so I may end up peeling them off... we'll see. They look decent otherwise. I had scratches I wanted to cover

Let me know what you guys and girls think!

-Ryan

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Looks nice, but you need the srt engine!
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 pm

ha, wish i had it. Can't afford that though. not now anyway.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:46 am

Looks pretty good man. Get some wheels a drop and lose the side mouldings ,man it will be beautiful. As for the SRT-4 sticker, get rid of it. Even if you had the motor it still doesn't make your car a SRT-4. If all they had was "SRT-4" why the hell did you get it? :lol: You should email them and ask em if they can special make one for oyu that says SXT. They do look pretty cool even for a sticker.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:54 am

Thanks. Most of that was answered already in previous posts. As for wheels, I'm getting silverstones, may drop the car later, we'll see, not removing the molding because I don't want bubbled paint issues. I bought the door sills because they were fairly cheap and like I said I wanted something to cover up the nasty scratches in the door jamb.

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 am

sidepipe87 wrote:CrystalMarie - I understand that, but you need to see what I'm talking about firsthand and you'd understand... It doesn't seem right. There is no pattern to the size differences between them. I thought maybe I stretched them by squeegeeing, but there's no way, it's just the way it is made I guess.

As for the bubbles, I was puncturing them with a sharp X-acto and trying to flatten them. It worked for most of them.

Bone-Yard - I was polling as to whether I should paint the lip kit insert flat black (which I did), not the car, people seem to be confused.
My bad either way you should still paint the car flat black :lol:

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:44 am

haha... not gonna happen! lol

I think I'm gonna remove the srt-4 decals from the door sills though. I also bought an srt-4 spoiler yesterday, so that will hopefully be here soon.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm

SXT spoiler > SRT spoiler.

Have fun looking in the rear view mirror with the cart handle. :P :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:23 pm

lol, i'm actually looking forward to being able to SEE out the back window... I'm 6'2" and I find the SXT spoiler to be RIGHT where I'm trying to look.... everytime... I hate it....

btw is there a way to remove the poll from this thread???

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 am

Edit post number 1... There might be a way, not sure... I am 6 foot and it was right in my eye-site. I would be going down the interstate and I could see it int he corner of my eye and I thought it was a car tailgating me. :lol: Took me a while to realize it was just the damn basket handle. I kind of miss it though.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 pm

I tried. Can't remove it. Maybe I'll PM Jason about it.

Eh, It can't be any worse than it is now in my opinion. I'm not a fan of de-winged srt-4s either. Especially when there's just plugs in the trunk. Looks cheap. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Well, I removed "-4" from the passenger side door sill. They were harder to get off than I thought, so I'll leave the "SRT" for now. I don't car, no one will really see it but me anyway.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Sooo, I decided to peel up my side molding the other day to see about the bubbles.... well they were bubbly... so I stuck them back on. Was good for a few days until I was driving on the highway to go drop some things off at school and I got out and it was hanging half way off the car. Soo I stuck it back on, and decided that they were coming off since I hate them anyway. soo off they went! I peeled them up slowly in the hot sun using just my hands and an old credit card to get the tape off, folowed by goo gone and rubbing compound. Here's the result and a few random shots.

The paint chipped off in 4 places on the passenger side door because I pulled too fast and it wasn't hot enough I don't think.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Looks really good! Coming along nicely. :) The removal of the mouldings really cleaned up the side panel. Did you get the spoiler in yet? I'm 5'11" and find it easy to see out of the window with the spoiler. It blocks headlights too!!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks CrystalMarie! Other than the one door, it really doesn't look too bad! And I agree, I really love the cleaned up sides look. I wanted to rip them off before but was afraid, but once the one started to fall off that made the decision easy lol. ughh.... the spoiler... yeahh there were issues, so I'm trying to get a different one right now haha. Yeah this one blocks headlights too and I love it!

I was bored, so heres a crappy photochop of how I want it to look next spring.

-Hotchkis srt-4 drop springs/sway bars
-srt-4 spoiler
-powdercoated silverstones
-35% tint

jake_tim
2GN Member

Post by jake_tim » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:49 pm

I l liked it with the side moldings....

looks good otherwise though.

GET RIMS!!!

-Jacob