has anyone hear of a sts setup

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
drftz31
2GN Member

has anyone hear of a sts setup

Post by drftz31 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm

its a rear mount turbo, i have seen it on a tc, and lot or other cars, i'm planing to turbo my 05sxt. But i dont want the same setup like everyone else (srt-4). I have nothing against the set up. i just want to be a little dirfferent from all the other neons. So i was woundering if anyone has done one of these set ups. On NEON

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm

Your going to need to be a little more specific on what your talking about, because all turbos on neons are mounted in the rear. Don't see how it was done on a tc considering the fact that their headers are in the front...

But yea pics of what your talking about would help...
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

Chris's 02
2GN Member

Post by Chris's 02 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:39 pm

the only car i've ever noticed that has a turbo somewhere other than the rear of the engine are nissans...
Chris

SCN member # 6
SCN forum member #10

drftz31
2GN Member

Post by drftz31 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:45 pm

rear mount turbo are in the back of the car. not in the motor. or in the back of it like the srt 4. i guess no one knows what im talking about, which would make a first. thats a good and bad thing. i guess all i tell ya is go to you tube , look at rear mount turbos.

torrent09
2GN Member

Post by torrent09 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:48 pm

i watched a show were they put a twin turbo on the rear of a vette it was back almost by the exhaust outlets. idk is that what your talking about??

[DJ]Tomski
2GN Member

Post by [DJ]Tomski » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:00 pm

i know what you're talking about. it's the squires turbo system. mostly done to v8s but a universal kit is offered too. instead of having the turbo in the engine bay it is located by the rear axles of the vehicle. pretty neat idea imo. heres the website www.ststurbo.com
j0n wrote:I recently discovered that I was modifying a neon and came to my senses...
:rofl:

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Ok well that helped, I think I see what your saying. I have seen a 350z in my area that had the most unusual turbo setup, kinda sleeper if you ask me. He had a small tube running on the right side of his car to the back which struck me as odd because that is too small for an exhaust. After looking under the rear of the car I saw that he had welded a turbo in between the stock muffler and end tip and that pipe running back there was IC piping. Why, I am not sure, but it was very different indeed, if that is what your referring to, it doesn't seem to be that hard IMO. Just get longer IC piping and have a good welder in mind...

Edit: If your doing it custom that is. But the website tomski provided is also a good start as well...
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

sxtdude
2GN Member

Post by sxtdude » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:28 pm

From what I've heard the systems work fairly well but a a little less responsive due to being farther from the engine. But since they do not sit in the engine bay they stay cooler. Kinda a neat Idea but you also have the risk of road debris, curbs, etc... hitting the turbo. Would be original though. Good Luck Tell us how it goes if you do it. -Andrew

Guard1an
2GN Member

Post by Guard1an » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 am

I was also thinking about this for a while, they say on the site you really don't even need a muffler because of the turbo placement, think about it, nice long tube header, 2 1/2" pipe straight back * under the tranny hump* turbo mounted just before the rear axle, over the axle bend in the exhaust, single exit muffler....... drool lol

-Mike
"Hey it could happen !!"-Guard1an

GUARDIAN's NODLE viewtopic.php?t=59395

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:38 am

I wouldn't want anything in common with a scion tc. Unless I was dating a hot girl with a scion tc.

I've seen teh rear mount turbo's youre talking about...but on Z06's. Looks kinda dangerous IMO, I like it in the engine bay not waaay int he back
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

drftz31
2GN Member

Post by drftz31 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:49 am

thanks to everyone, yes thats what im talking about. i want to run this set up since i live in vegas. every neon here in vegas has the same set up. so why not be alittle different. i'll let everyone know how it turned out when i start and finish the set up. i should be one of the first to have a rear turbo mount on a 4 banger car. i got the idea from a magazine i was looking at. it had a twin turbo set up in the trunk, but of course a mustang.

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:12 am

Loads of fabrication and money in the name of being "different" isn't worth the headache IMO.

It's like the twin turbo DCR set up. Yeah, it's different but you can easily make more power with a big turbo for less money.
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 am

You spool later with the same sized turbo, and oiling becomes a difficult task instead of the routine "throw some fittings on and drill a hole in the oil pan". The problem is that the hotter air is, the more it expands, and by the time the exhaust reaches the back of the car, it's several hundred degrees cooler. So expect the average turbo to spool 1000RPM later, and expect to wait longer for the power once you mash the gas from the added volume of charge piping.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I've seen this set up on about 15-20 different cars now. Ranging from newer Vettes to cobalts.

do it and let everyone know how it works. I've never seen one on a neon personally.
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:17 pm

i read that you cant push as many pounds as you can with a normal setup, only 5-10. should be difficult but at the same time pretty cool, good luck with the project :)
Budget Boost FTW

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Not true at all. You can make 40psi on a rear mount setup. It's just that your turbo choices are limited with a small displacement motor if you ever want to spool it. That's why you see it on V8s more often. They have a much easier time spooling with 6 liters than 2.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:14 pm

esteinmaier wrote:You spool later with the same sized turbo, and oiling becomes a difficult task instead of the routine "throw some fittings on and drill a hole in the oil pan". The problem is that the hotter air is, the more it expands, and by the time the exhaust reaches the back of the car, it's several hundred degrees cooler. So expect the average turbo to spool 1000RPM later, and expect to wait longer for the power once you mash the gas from the added volume of charge piping.

esteinmaier wrote:Not true at all. You can make 40psi on a rear mount setup. It's just that your turbo choices are limited with a small displacement motor if you ever want to spool it. That's why you see it on V8s more often. They have a much easier time spooling with 6 liters than 2.
:withstupid:

6 liters willl keep the exhaust temps up better than two also. I can imagine that would have some serious turbo lag. If your going for a salt flats run, it may be optimal for that.
Bonneville Neon.... :-k eh, it sounds wrong. Damn GM!
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:04 pm

esteinmaier wrote:Not true at all. You can make 40psi on a rear mount setup. It's just that your turbo choices are limited with a small displacement motor if you ever want to spool it. That's why you see it on V8s more often. They have a much easier time spooling with 6 liters than 2.

im just quoting from a book i read thats a pretty in depth book about turbocharging...

" The primary downside to remote-mount turbos, however is that they usually provide somewhat lower performance levels than a traditional turbocharger. Typically sized to generate only 5-10 psi,......"
Budget Boost FTW

gilly02le
2GN Member

Post by gilly02le » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:16 am

Squires Turbo Systems. Which is what S.t.s stand's for. Do some Reading, these setups seems to run quite well, they also do not need an intercooler because the charge piping is so long. They do say it will spool slightly slower, but go and look at some of the cars with an sts turbo kit, they haul ass. This is definitely something for ppl with no extra room under the hood. These Turbo's just replace the muffler on most setups.

http://www.ststurbo.com/
New Sig Time.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:07 am

n20sxt wrote:

im just quoting from a book i read thats a pretty in depth book about turbocharging...

" The primary downside to remote-mount turbos, however is that they usually provide somewhat lower performance levels than a traditional turbocharger. Typically sized to generate only 5-10 psi,......"
Note that it says typically sized, not limited to.

These systems are very effective on F Bodies and Vettes. That is all I've seen videos of.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

drftz31
2GN Member

Post by drftz31 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:23 pm

whicjh is true, you do it see it on the f bodies and mustangs, which i have seen a twin turbo rear mount setup. thats where i got the idea from. here in vegas people laugh at us, their like silly lil neon that cant go fast. which isnt true at all. the rear mount setup is perfect for me. not to many people know about this. but why not get it a try. which i will. i know it will take alot of work. turbos are hard on motors that are daliy drivers. i have one problem, i hear that the heat will make the car run like crap if its a turbo because of the hot air.

if you do some research, you will see that the rear setup turbos run a lot cooler but take long to spool. cooler air + fuel = a bit more power, less vegas heat to run the turbo under the car near the back. the normal setup has alot more power but more heat from the motor and the outside. everyone does make some great points on both, like dirt, water and other outside elments with the rear mount set up. i want to say thanks to everyone with their comments. im gald to know that i may be the first to run the setup on this forum but that could also be my down fall.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 pm

drftz31 wrote:whicjh is true, you do it see it on the f bodies and mustangs, which i have seen a twin turbo rear mount setup. thats where i got the idea from. here in vegas people laugh at us, their like silly lil neon that cant go fast. which isnt true at all. the rear mount setup is perfect for me. not to many people know about this. but why not get it a try. which i will. i know it will take alot of work. turbos are hard on motors that are daliy drivers. i have one problem, i hear that the heat will make the car run like crap if its a turbo because of the hot air.

if you do some research, you will see that the rear setup turbos run a lot cooler but take long to spool. cooler air + fuel = a bit more power, less vegas heat to run the turbo under the car near the back. the normal setup has alot more power but more heat from the motor and the outside. everyone does make some great points on both, like dirt, water and other outside elments with the rear mount set up. i want to say thanks to everyone with their comments. im gald to know that i may be the first to run the setup on this forum but that could also be my down fall.
That's the purpose of an intercooler. My car's setup this year was using a standard stock SRT4 intercooler, and the intake temps on a normal 80 degree day stayed under 100 degrees even during a long 25psi pull.

Even with longer charge piping, I would still run an intercooler. Maybe not such a big one, but beating on it for long periods of time will still heat soak the piping and put your intake temps over 175.

Guard1an
2GN Member

Post by Guard1an » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm

also something you can do to help with heat is use the thermotec wraps around the header, and down the entire pipe and wrap the exhaust side of the turbo and try and run the intercooler piping on the other side of the "trans tunnel" opposite the turbo exhaust piping. Good luck I hope it works out well, please let us know, this could actually be a better alternative to a srt swap ;)

-Mike
"Hey it could happen !!"-Guard1an

GUARDIAN's NODLE viewtopic.php?t=59395

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:18 pm

drftz31 wrote: im gald to know that i may be the first to run the setup on this forum but that could also be my down fall.
I wouldn't call it a down fall, just a learning experience. If ppl didn't try stuff out, we wouldn't have near the things we now take for granted. If you have the ways and means, go for it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:40 am

in theory couldnt u fab up some kind of plate to put under the turbos to guard it from debris and such?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Ntyvirus1 wrote:in theory couldnt u fab up some kind of plate to put under the turbos to guard it from debris and such?
Nope. Can't be done. :lol:

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:56 pm

curses, foiled again :lol:
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

lambostealth
2GN Member

Post by lambostealth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:09 pm

My old Neon before someone totaled it for me.......

I was in contact with them years ago about doing a kit for SEMA on my car, they put on on another car at thier facility, and made 203whp with meth injection, and ONLY 5psi!!!!!!

I don't know or remember how or why, I think it was the MUCH lower temps, but, Rick, the owner, had told me that these systems make almost twice as much power per pound of boost, and spool time is A NON ISSUE!!!! these systems spool pretty damn quick, watch a few vids of these things in action.
-Chris
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!
Hahn Turbo, Portfueler, 3"downpipe, BC Coilovers........ahh who cares.SOLD
2001 BMW 530I
2007 Honda Accord
1988 Ford F-150

c987long
2GN Member

Post by c987long » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:43 pm

my buddy just ordered the stage 2 set for his 00 bmw 328i, he is going to have tms put it on when he gets his header, so hopefully it will work
2001 neon r/t sold
98 sport turbo- built motor 2.0 ngc DOHC, powered by srt ecu and hp tuners
esteinmaier wrote: We all know that an SRT4 wing is the Chuck Norris of car parts.
occasional demons wrote: Dude, your neon is all the sex you'll ever need!
:lol:

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:14 am

lambostealth wrote:My old Neon before someone totaled it for me.......
that's pretty cool. was this car before the black one, or did you repaint it? i don't recall.

where is the intake pulling from?
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

Return to “Forced Induction”