How To: Neon T.P.S. install on a Mustang TB

occasional demons
Junior Admin

How To: Neon T.P.S. install on a Mustang TB

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:19 am

After installing my Ebay TB I got a cel for Tps Voltage above acceptable limit. The Ford TPS was a full volt higher @WOT than the Neon. So I figured I would make the Neon TPS fit the Ford TB.

Sorry for the crappy pic quality. Remove the throttle plate then the shaft

File enough material from the TPS blade so it's outer diameter fits into the Neon TPS about .010 per side.
Pry out the plastic bushing. It leaves a near perfect hole for the Neon TPS.
Now an adapter ring is needed, as the Neon TPS is clocked 90* off from the Ford. I used a fender washer That has a .400" I.D. and a 1.500" O.D. 1.750" O.D. would prolly be ideal but would prolly need to be fabbed, or a larger I.D. one used.
This is what I used to make the I.D. the correct size. (.875")
Now the holes need to be drilled or punched for the TPS to mount to the ring. I used the TPS to mark the hole spacing. Just slip it through the 7/8" hole, mark and turn 90* and mark again.
The holes for the TPS need to be elongated so the TPS can be moved to engage the throttle shaft. The holes for the TB need to be large enough so the flat head screws seat as far as possible without going through, or if you have the correct reamer to make the bevel... The screws for the TB are 4mm .7 pitch 10mm long flat head I got mine at Lowe's.
I used the nylon washers between the TPS and the adapter ring because the flathead screws still stuck out a little.

I measured the voltage at idle setting (engine off key on) with the Neon TB and adjusted the TPS to match that (a digital multimeter is needed). the black w/blue wire is ground and the orange w/black wire is the signal. just probe these two wires to get the voltage reading.
A few pic of it installed. Enjoy
Thanks to BRR for the wiring codes and Riddler for the Neon TB parts!
Last edited by occasional demons on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 am

Great info!
I did not go the neon tps route due to the mod you posted. And honestly, I did have the same code also, but I had enough play in the TPS to be able to turn it a hair to prevent the above issue...

Thanks for the write up anyways :)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:34 am

You're welcome. The Neon TPS made a bigger diference than I thought it would. The driveability is much better now. I am impressed with the additional power also. The manifold didn't make much difference with the stock TB, maybe a slight increase in fuel mileage and a subtle gain. But with the 65mm TB there is definately a power gain. Possibly the two together with the '02 magnum cam, but either way it is a nice upgrade!
Also with the Neon TPS the fuel mileage is nearly the same as the stock TB, as where with the Ford TPS the gas gauge moved extremely fast for a neon.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:22 am

Also with the Neon TPS the fuel mileage is nearly the same as the stock TB, as where with the Ford TPS the gas gauge moved extremely fast for a neon
Nah, it was your right foot helping with that problem :lol:
I'm glad to see another one happy with the Mustang TB mod :)

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:22 am

I also had the voltage problem, but fixed it by filling the IAC hole and then sticking a toothpick through so the IAC passage was maybe 1/8" wide. My gas mileage is back to better than stock and my power's good too.
"If you haven't bled on it, it's not your car"

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 am

Whats the IAC got to do with the TPS problem?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 pm

anomalous0 wrote:I also had the voltage problem, but fixed it by filling the IAC hole and then sticking a toothpick through so the IAC passage was maybe 1/8" wide. My gas mileage is back to better than stock and my power's good too.
:shock: :tardbang: :tardbang: :shock:

I'm confused too... The holes in the ford TPS can be elongated to prolly correct in most cases. But I liked the plug and play option of using the Mopar TPS and not having an extra connector hanging around, but that's just me. Maybe you had an IAC code instead? If the throttle plate isn't adjusted to a reasonable idle or it has the hole in it, the PCM my throw an IAC code because it can't hit the correct parameter with the voltage sent to the IAC. Similiar to when the linear solenoid ,or wtf dcx calls the IAC, hangs up. IAC circuit voltage too high
Edit: OK after seeing your post on BBR's How To I think it was an IAC code. It's possible the throttle shaft bearings are worn out.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 pm

yeah....it threw a voltage code, not an IAC code. Granted the throttle plate was not sealing 100% in spite of my best efforts, but I think the PCM maps the TPS voltage range to the MAP input, so a higher MAP reading at idle would lead to it throwing a voltage code when at WOT. All I know is I haven't gotten the code since, and my throttle response, power, and gas mileage have recovered, so there may be more than one way to go about this.

Edit: I should have clarified. It threw a TPS voltage too high code
Last edited by anomalous0 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you haven't bled on it, it's not your car"

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:02 am

Thats why we share info like this...to help others :)

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 am

Bump to the top...
After running my Mustang TB for over a year with no issues im looking at getting this little mod done to get my TPS in check before a future mod gets installed. For those of you wondering, you can pretty much plug and play the Ford TPS based on the instructions I provided but you will run into one issue...
TPS readings will be 15% at closed throttle and only 68-70% WOT. The problem with this is the fuel maps and spark curves are going to be off. Granted I averaged around 25-28mpg no matter how hard or soft I drive the car, the max potential can not bee seen because of the narrow readings...

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:07 am

Good info, but honestly my brothers Mustang TB has yet to throw a code with the Mustang TPS
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD
01 Dodge RT - 279whp 329wtq

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:38 pm

SlvrACR wrote:Good info, but honestly my brothers Mustang TB has yet to throw a code with the Mustang TPS
What model year is it ??

"Results may vary".

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:12 pm

While working out a project with BRR I noticed something with the Ford V6 TB, which BBK sells in a bored out version. The neon TPS will bolt directly to it. The only mod needed would be to the throttle shaft so the neon TPS slides over it. :D
Notice how the mounts are 90º to the gasket surface? The 65mm is 180 ishº, so if you want to spend for the BBK option it is damn near plug and play. This may be one option for NGC, if your's don't like the 60mm TB.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1548/

Edit: just a reference shot...
The smaller one is 49mm ish.
Last edited by occasional demons on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:17 pm

it also looks like the BBK version can be redrilled and threaded to accomidate any mounting postion for a tps...

silvrsxt
n00b

Post by silvrsxt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 am

can you give me any info as far as mounting the IAC valve goes, I have an old mustang TB that i would like to put on my neon, any info would help. Thanks

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 am

Just need some JB weld to fill in the openings a bit on the TB and a file to level it out. I used gasket material and an exacto knife to make the gasket. Use the IAC as the template. IDK how well the Ford gasket works.

Or there is this option, which also lets you use TB's that have no IAC provision, or are not close enough to use the neon unit.

viewtopic.php?t=40921
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

John Figueroa
n00b

Post by John Figueroa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 am

Just picked up my Mustang throttle body from some Douche Driving a Acura bumblebee type, I only say this because it took him forever to get back to me, I drove across town and he cancelled on me, but in the end it was a 20 dollar Throttle body, its too late to buy the washer I need, but Im cleaning up the throttle body right now, wish me luck, Ill let you guys know how it goes, but looks like you all have had luck with it.

Edit: all sorts of luck today, my brother in law gave me a free 2.0 Head. SCORE
"I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill"

2002 Neon SE MTX
Ebay CAI
Fartcanesque muffler
Yellow Green boogers

John Figueroa
n00b

Post by John Figueroa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:50 pm

I finally got time to put my mustang Throttle body in, set it up exactly like my neon, even with the Neon TPS, it is Idling Erratic, and Popping, Im pretty sure the popping is from blow back, the hole in the throttle plate has been filled, and I reset my PCM, and it still is not working, as a matter of fact the last time it popped I was afraid I damaged something, so I took it out, and Im back to stock... any clues? I looked around, and so far the only thing close I can find was issues with the IAC mounting, I did not get a chance to check for Codes, unfortunately with the way my car was running and being a DD I cannot afford to blow anything up yet.

Any clues? or any questions I can answer to try to figure this out? :banghead:

Edit:: well after looking through both .org websites, anything on throttle bodies from this website, and about 90 pages worth of crap from the other, I realize that I put the IAC on but I didnt fill the Idle hole thing... Im assuming that will probably cause what Im describing?

2002 Neon SE MTX
Ebay CAI
Fartcanesque muffler
Yellow Green boogers

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 am

John Figueroa wrote: Edit:: I realize that I put the IAC on but I didnt fill the Idle hole thing... Im assuming that will probably cause what Im describing?
Not sure I understand exactly what you are referring to?

Are you 100% sure the TPS is mounted correctly? I know it is a small PITA to do with the adapter.

If the shaft is on the wrong side of the TPS socket, it will not work, and may even break the TPS. Did you try moving the throttle gently by hand before installing the TB?

If the TPS is not moving from idle position, it will cause backfires. I know.

If the IAC has a major vacuum leak, it will idle very high, or rev/cut off/rev.

Also be sure the IAC is pointed connector towards the IM. It will mount backwards on the Mustang TB:

Then there is this option also... viewtopic.php?t=40921
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

John Figueroa
n00b

Post by John Figueroa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I was referring to the holes under the IAC that take air from the Filter side, and bypass it to the IM side through the IAC, I am going to re try today since I dont have to work tomorrow, but I will take everything into consideration, I would like to not blow my Intake Manifold up... but I guess if I do its an excuse to not only buy a R/T manifold but also put in my ported and soon to be polished 95 SOHC head right?

Edit:: Well I took everything out and put it back together, resealed everything and gaskets, and the sound of sucking air was eliminated aside from the IAC and of course from the throttle body moving air, and it is still doing the Rev/idle down to almost die/rev the revving is Lower than the normal Idle, I am going to get the parts to remote mount tomorrow and close off the port for the IAC and hope that fixes it.

As for vaccum leak? there dosent seem to be a vaccum leak with my old throttle body, runs just fine when I put the stock TB on it.

2002 Neon SE MTX
Ebay CAI
Fartcanesque muffler
Yellow Green boogers

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 pm

This is what I did with Metal epoxy JB weld type stuff.

Complete TB I did for another member here. (Back when I had time for such things :lol: )

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:31 am

I don't really get the issues people are having with the iac motor?
Are you guys using the Ford iac gasket?
You cant use the Chrysler iac gasket when doing this as it does not seal properly. To this day I'm still using the Ford 65mm with no issues....

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am

I just use a roll of old gasket material I have lying around, and cut my own out. Works great. You basically want to use the Ford IAC outer shape as a template.

I fill in the extra open area to give the gasket better support.

But I really like not having the IAC on there, as it is cleaner looking, and gives you more mounting options where space is tight, depending on the position you choose. (As in my case, I shortened the IM, so the IAC was hitting the radiator hose.)
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Any advice on getting the Neon throttle cam to work/fit on a BBK? I don't imagine it'd be too different from other stang TBs, but I haven't found a how-to on that yet...

I know, night of the living thread.

EDIT: Nevermind :tardbang: viewtopic.php?p=733793#733793
-Mason's Project Log viewtopic.php?t=68112
Official I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies Member #144

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:13 pm

What I did, was to try to keep the shaft centerlines as close as possible. That's where pushing the neon shaft out helps, so you can eye ball it through the hole.

Then you just have to clock it correctly, so there is a little slack in the cable when the throttle is shut.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Engine”