sidepipe87: A few overdue updates

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Oh you bought an AEM too? Nice! I'm assuming its either red or blue rather than polished. That damned decklid carpeting adds so much to the trunk its crazy. It really sets it apart so it doesn't look so ghetto. I like the way the injector cover came out also.

But I really came in here to see the pictures of the cans....LOL!! And that was nice of him to come through on that....

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:42 pm

\:D/ page 5 woot!

haha, thanks. Yeah the carpet really does clean up the trunk a LOT. And yeahh, I bought the AEM a while back, just never installed it because I bought it used from someone here and it in fact IS or was polished. It's all scraped up. I think he was parting things out because he was in a wreck... It's not bent or anything though. Sooo, instead of attempting to polish it again, I'm gonna color match it. I like the look of the Mopar silver intakes better anyway.

And yes... I took pics of the paint, just like I said I would :rofl:
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Have it PC'd looks better, lasts longer. And its about the same price to have it done. :)

Mmmmm Cans :)

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:48 pm

woohoo... add it to the list. haha. As of now, In the spring I'll be getting the silverstones PC'ed, I wanna get an R/T VC to PC, and maybe I'll just get this done as well.

Also, pics up now in the picture post ftw.

viewtopic.php?t=36325

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 pm

SO I tried posting these pix twice yesterday and both times my shitty dell just shut off mid post due to a "thermal event" I've put another fan in it, and run it with no side panel and it still overheats... I think there may be another issue :roll: but anyway....

what's that what stuff all over my girls top?!

Last pix with the Mopar 3D tails on them and some white stuff on her ass too!

With the stockies back on. I actually really like the way they look with the SRT spoiler. Looks cleaner and seem to fit better with the no-drop. They will be lightly tinted sometime.

If the 3Ds don't sell I may end up painting the black silver and putting them back on next year. we'll see.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Why not keep them? They really do look good!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:14 pm

I like the 3Ds better personally. It hasn't snowed here yet, but in a few weeks I'm sure it will.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:39 pm

mehh, i like the look of them but I don't liek the look of them from the side... i know that's really odd, but it really annoys me how they stick out. I love the look from the back, but not the sides.. Also I think it looks weirder now with the srt wing, and the 4x4 stance. If Dante doesn't buy them, the other guy never got back to me, I might paint them in the spring.

Crystal - it's been snowing here all week boo. I'll be putting the winter steelies from the Spirit on soon too woot.

Oh i just dropped $60 on those mopar aluminum door sill plates that say "dodge" on them. probably a waste of money but oh well. they're both dented from something hitting the box too! i'll have to hammer it out. no big deal, but annoying. I pulled one of the cheap ones off and the tape stuck and it got all wrinkled up so I just stuck it back down for now haha. I might see if I can straighten the old ones for the back doors, or just order new ones from egay.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:58 pm

I have those! I love them :)

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:00 pm

yeahh i've wanted them but didn't wanna pay $90 or whatever mopar wants for them. $60 is still a lot but oh well.

Bluerocketsneeks
2GN Member

Post by Bluerocketsneeks » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:30 pm

yo they have universal no-name ones on ebay for like $22 shipped

I plan on getting them cause they don't make ones that say mopar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-CH ... 0304406821

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:19 am

yeah i had some from ebay that were aluminum with SRT-4 "brushed" on them. It was really stickers, but wouldn't come off easily. They looked nice, but I like the Mopar ones better.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:09 am

Well kids I always said I wouldn't do it, but it was time to make a liar of myself. I was never one for aftermarket sound systems or head units, but I found a nice one I liked and decided since I could get santa to pick up the tab I may as well go for it. As some of you may know, I got the Alpine iDA-X100 iPod head unit. I'm really excited about this unit and cannot wait until tomorrow (later today) to get it installed! I ordered everything from Crutchfield because I've dealt with them in the past and they've always been awesome and sent everything I needed to do it quickly, easily, and most important to me. stock. no butchering wiring, simple plug and play harnesses. It will be weird not to have a cd player, but I'm sure with having my iPod in there and the option of using a flash drive, I won't miss them. Here it is!

I also received 2 Infinity Kappas for the front doors. Eventually I will replace the ones in the package tray but they cost a bit more and I didn't want to burden anyone with that. I felt bad about all this as it is, but my mom insisted. It's a good thing I have 4 siblings to divide the bill with.

My brother also bought me a nice SK 1/4" ratchet set

And to represent I picked up these 2gn shirts for my sister and I from Modern

I also got this brand new on eBay for $0.99. My dad brought one home back in the day when the 1gn first came out, but they are plastic so it got discolored and destroyed from being used a lot. I liked it and for the price and the fact that it was neon related I had to have it!

Not pictured, but I also got the parts to build a new core 2 duo PC. Same processor I have in my Macbook and I love it. So much faster than my P4 Dell I currently have. I had a very good Christmas and I'm very fortunate for everything, because despite how it looks, my family doesn't have that much money. Luckily my siblings are all college graduates and worked hard to get careers where they can afford to live comfortably. I'm hoping, God willing, I make it to that point sometime in the very near future. Anyway, I'm getting off topic in my own topic here.

What I really want to say is that It's been a great year here so far and hopefully 2k9 will be as well. I hope you all had a good Christmas/holidays, and I will be sure to post pics after I get this stuff installed. Hopefully the learning curve is easy!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:21 am

Nice swag! It looks like X-mas was good to you :thumbup:

I have one of those mugs as well. I'm surprised the price has come down so much on them :shock:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 am

Wow, you really cleaned up on Christmas! Lookin good man, and I hear that CD player is damn awesome, so congrats on that!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:19 am

Very nice Christmas presents! Let us know how much better the new speakers and headunit sound over stock.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah, I can't complain one bit. I'll definitely let you know how much better this setup is. I'll be installing it shortly.

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Thats a nice HU. I should get that one since i rarely listen to CDs since i put my ipod in the car.
-J.J. | Official I sold my Neon Member #008
86.5 Nissan Hardbody LB- will be for sale soon...

1989 Yota PU- "Tammy" -Rest In Pieces...

2000 Plym Neon- "Stacy" -Sold 3/25/09 =(
Ntyvirus1 wrote:im debadged so i just drive a gray thing.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 pm

Well I ran into a few minor setbacks along the way, nothing major. The first being I think that sent the wrong wiring adapter for the speakers, or just crimped the wrong size females connectors on the end that go to the speaker terminals. They fit on the +/- terminals labeled "tweeter" but not the "woofer" ones.. didn't make any sense to me, but what do I know. So I hook them up and connect the battery back up and give it a whirl.. sure enough sounds like just the tweeter so I disconnected them. I cut the connectors off and crimped bigger ones on to fir the + on the woofer terminal. The adapter only has one set of +/- wires so nothing is hooked up to the tweeter terminals now. Now does this mean they're not function as is, or are they drawing power from the cone still? These aren't component speakers so they should work but I don't know the first thing about audio... which leads me to my second issue...

I didn't realize that Chrysler harness adapter for the HU was just the connector with the lengths of wire hanging out. This left me having to wire it all up to the Alpine power supply... No problem except I'm not very experianced with electronics but I took a stab it it. For the most part I just matched the speaker wire colors and they were labeled what they were on one end so I wired up the rest. I wasn't too keen on crimping connectors so I decided to solder them for a good connection. I've never really soldered anything before so I got my dad's Snap On soldering gun out and gave it a whirl. I slid heat shrink on first so I could seal them up nice when I was all finished. Several wires later they were all connected except two. There were two on the Alpine side labeled IN REM and IN INT I believe and they had nowhere to go, so they were unused...

Finally after taping them all up for neatness I jammed the whole unit in the car and prayed that when I hooked the negative battery terminal back up the car wouldn't catch on fire. Well, to my surprise I turned the key on, the lights lit up and it powered on uneventfully!

However I'm still nervous and need some input here. Both the Alpine harness and the Chrysler adapter had ground wires coming from them, and this is where I'm hoping what I did was ok. I couldn't find somewhere suitable on the car so I screwed them both into the center of the head unit in the rear. There was a threaded hole and some screws and 2 metal straps came with it. I need to know If this is ok to do, or if I need to move those to somewhere on the actual car itself. I took and for a drive and tried it out and everything seemed ok. But being that I'm pretty much clueless, I'm sitting here afraid that my car is going to burn to the ground outside from a bad ground! At least it's raining I guess...

I grounded them to that screw hole in the middle under the heat shrink thats molded in. This doesn't seem like a good idea to me, that's why I ask.

Sorry I couldn't get any pics right now but as soon as I tried my camera died... go figure.. so I just went ahead with the install..then it started raining on me. awesome. So far I love it and the sound is pretty good but I need to figure out how to get it all adjusted properly for optimal sound quality. I thought that with the new HU the radio would be clearer for some reason but It doesn't seem to be. I don't think I left the antenna wire loose, I remember plugging them in.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Answered via AIM with Matt. He said cut the ends off and solder them together. Will do.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Well over the past few days I managed to get my cupholder LEDs hooked up with little amounts of spare time I found. I'm going to do a how-to here shortly, but here's a few pics of them lit up along with my new Alpine iDA-X100 HU!

they are empty in the night pic that's why they are lighting up the HVAC surround.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:57 pm

Nice work man, looks very sexy! :thumbup:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks, Dante! :lol:

Here's the How-To I did!

viewtopic.php?t=38040

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:54 pm

Very nice! I like em :)

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks Crystal! BTW how did you mount yours? epoxy?? Because it failed pretty good on mine. I don't think the 'self mixing' tubes were mixing very well, and plus it was kinda cold in my garage.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:31 pm

Permatex Silicone :) and a blow dryer

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 pm

Like the headunit :) I got the same one, minus the graphic display (just displays text). Got a question though: Does yours seem to lag a bit when you go through controls (selecting a song, forward/backward, etc.)? Mine does a tad. I use my iPod Touch and figured it'd be faster since it's a flash HD.

I've never liked having to change CDs, thus I've always had an iPod adapter and the iPod sits in my glove compartment.

Oh, and I love your MacBook :thumbup: using my white one right now.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Damn, thanks Crystal. I guess if they ever do fall out I'll go back and try that. I used the hair dryer too but I think it was moot.

2005.Neon - huh, no mine doesn't really seem to lag, maybe a bit but then again my iPod does sometimes so maybe I'm just used to it. Mine has a hard drive in it though. Overall, I love the HU. And yes, I love my macbook too. It's great. It's fast, it's quiet, it's fairly light, durable and compact. I put a clear red Speck hard case on it to protect it too.

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:00 pm

i like the HT
Thanks
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Oh dang! I haven't looked at your progress thread in awhile...lookin good! I'd honestly swap over the SRT spoiler for the SXT back on, but that's just me. I hate having that damn thing in the middle of my vision. My dad had an SRT-Design and had that spoiler on it. Drove me fuckin nuts!

Anyways, hope to see those silverstones on it soon with a lowered stance and the pc'd intake and valve cover :)
-Brodie
2001 Dodge Neon R/T - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

Return to “Progress/Project Log”