this is BS

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
cbjones26
2010 Platinum Contributor

this is BS

Post by cbjones26 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:54 pm

:bs2:

Statement from Glenn Britt, President & CEO, Time Warner Cable

Re: Viacom’s threats to pull MTV Networks from Time Warner Cable customers, December 31, 2008

Christmas is over, but Viacom is still playing Scrooge, threatening to pull its MTV Networks off of Time Warner Cable at midnight tonight unless we ask our customers to pay exorbitant price increases.

Viacom claims their demands equate to “pennies,” but that is misleading and insulting to our customers, from whom Viacom is trying to extort another $39 million annually – on top of the hundreds of millions of dollars our customers already pay to Viacom each year. That doesn’t sound like pennies to us. Demanding that our customers pay so much more for these few networks would be unreasonable in any economy, but it is particularly outrageous given the current economic conditions.

We sympathize with the fact that Viacom’s advertising business is suffering and that their networks’ ratings have largely been declining. However, we can’t abide their attempt to make up their lost revenue on the backs of Time Warner Cable customers. We’ve negotiated in good faith and made several concessions to help reach a fair and reasonable deal. We’ve asked for an extension of the current contract while we continue to negotiate. But Viacom doesn’t appear to be interested in what’s fair and reasonable for American consumers – they’re only interested in propping up their sagging bottom line, and they are poised to pull their networks from Time Warner Cable customers tonight.

Huge price increases like what Viacom is demanding threaten the ultimate value of cable TV. Time Warner Cable is a retail distributor of products we purchase wholesale. Wholesale programming costs are rising dramatically every year, and, like all multichannel distributors, we have to pass on at least a portion of the increases to our customers. Viacom’s MTV Networks are just a few of the hundreds of channels we carry. If every channel demanded huge, double-digit increases like what Viacom is trying to force our customers to pay, it would be impossible to keep the price of cable reasonable for our customers.

Time Warner Cable has reached hundreds of distribution agreements with other networks. In fact, we currently have deals with every other cable programmer. The negotiations aren’t always easy, but we work hard to reach agreements that are fair to our customers and to both businesses.

We hope Viacom won’t pull the MTV Networks from Time Warner Cable customers, and we’ll negotiate up to the last possible minute and beyond. But ultimately, it is Viacom’s decision. We implore them to join with us to reach a fair resolution or grant an extension, and we hope they won’t carry through with their threat to take their networks away from our customers tonight.

Cable Networks affected:

Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite
MTV
VH1
Spike
TV Land
Comedy Central
Noggin
MTV2
VH1 Classic
Logo
MTV Hits
MTV Jams
MTV Tr3s
Nicktoons
The N
CMT Pure Country
Palladia
VH1 Soul

*If HD channels are available for these networks, they will also be affected*

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 pm

I say let them pull them. How much sponsor $ do they think they'll get with that many less customers veiwing their programs?
I personally don't watch those too much anyways, so let it roll.
Like the saying goes, "If you're feelin' froggy, JUMP!" Just don't cry if the lilly pad ain't there when you land!
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:05 pm

At least I still got Fox News. Screw them anyways, holding a monopoly on the cable business.
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:12 pm

The only channels I watch on this list are Spike and Comedy Central... and I rarely watch CC anymore.

Spike would be a loss since it's where the powerblock is hosted... but that's it. The rest ofthe channel is dog crap, IMHO.

I doubt it's going to happen.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:17 pm

kc2002acr wrote:At least I still got Fox News. Screw them anyways, holding a monopoly on the cable business.
yuck.. Fox News

I think they should get rid of all the news channels on TV. They're nothing but biased drivel.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 pm

I can remember when MTV actually showed music videos. :lol: Maybe this might have to do with lost revenue for Viacom when their intellectual property is ripped from the net rather than legally purchased- perhaps they are trying to recoup by increasing cable fees?
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Chibits12
2GN Member

Post by Chibits12 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 am

David's right, MTV is anything but music these days...

It's all reality-based tv shows. Lame.

I miss seeing those Smashing Pumpkin music videos. Thank god for Youtube.

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4. Completely stock.

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:16 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:The only channels I watch on this list are Spike and Comedy Central... and I rarely watch CC anymore.

Spike would be a loss since it's where the powerblock is hosted... but that's it. The rest ofthe channel is dog crap, IMHO.

I doubt it's going to happen.
:withstupid:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

I figured it wouldn't happen. Less money > no money. It would be the same as OPEC totally cutting off oil supplies to a large customer because they wouldn't pay $500 a barrel. Both sides wold lose.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Mtv sucks balls now. All they show is shitty paris hilton brainwashing material for my 15 y/o sister to watch. I hate Mtv.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:34 pm

kc2002acr wrote:At least I still got Fox News. Screw them anyways, holding a monopoly on the cable business.
Sean Hannity & Dennis Miller for the win!
I honestly don't watch that much television so it really does not bother me. v

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:53 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:I can remember when MTV actually showed music videos. :lol: Maybe this might have to do with lost revenue for Viacom when their intellectual property is ripped from the net rather than legally purchased- perhaps they are trying to recoup by increasing cable fees?

VH-1 seems to do fine. Why does everyone think that the internet is the downfall of today's "music" when it is the labels and the untalented hacks that trying to make a dime on other peoples played out songs. "Piracy" has been a round since commercially available recording media has. When I was a kid my buddies and I would go to music stores and buy different tapes and make copies for everyone. Maybe if artists would put out CDs with more than one good song it people wouldn't be going to the web to "download" their one good song for $.99 instead of paying $15 for the CD with that one song on it.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Passt wrote:Mtv sucks balls now. All they show is shitty paris hilton brainwashing material for my 15 y/o sister to watch. I hate Mtv.
Amen to that!
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

welchspro
2GN Member

Post by welchspro » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 am

MTV = Fail smothered in Failsauce
--John

Drive It Till It Dies Member #16

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:24 am

jrumann59 wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote:I can remember when MTV actually showed music videos. :lol: Maybe this might have to do with lost revenue for Viacom when their intellectual property is ripped from the net rather than legally purchased- perhaps they are trying to recoup by increasing cable fees?

VH-1 seems to do fine. Why does everyone think that the internet is the downfall of today's "music" when it is the labels and the untalented hacks that trying to make a dime on other peoples played out songs. "Piracy" has been a round since commercially available recording media has. When I was a kid my buddies and I would go to music stores and buy different tapes and make copies for everyone. Maybe if artists would put out CDs with more than one good song it people wouldn't be going to the web to "download" their one good song for $.99 instead of paying $15 for the CD with that one song on it.

Most of the CD's I buy I like most of the songs on them. But I remember when I got American Idiot (Green Day) and thought, damn I didn't want to skip any of the songs. They were all good. A very rare thing.

Piracy is just easier now. Like James said, it used to be among a group of friends, now its a group of people on a certain site.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Green Day sucks and Billie Joe Armstrong needs to die.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by lilnicko11 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:48 pm

Passt wrote:Mtv sucks balls now. All they show is shitty paris hilton brainwashing material for my 15 y/o sister to watch. I hate Mtv.
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #50

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:58 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:Spike would be a loss since it's where the powerblock is hosted... but that's it. The rest ofthe channel is dog crap, IMHO.
Is not getting the powerblock really that much of a loss? Those shows hurt my head sometimes.....
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:08 pm

I love those shows, although when they have half new shows, half old shows, it really annoys me. Either give me an all new powerblock, or an all rerun powerblock!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Return to “Off-Topic”