sidepipe87: A few overdue updates

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

haha yeahh, I haven't done too much lately since I've been broke. Brodie, I just noticed that we both have the same Alpine iDA-X100 HU too :rofl: I like the SRT spoiler. I actually find it much easier to see out my back window with it. As for the SXT spoiler, I sold it to Matt (Nitehawk) a while back and it's now on his two toned car lol. If I were ever to do a different spoiler it would be an AVS style.

The plans have actually changed a little bit :twisted: I actually just sold the stones to the Teejmiester, and sold the SRT rims I had to some kid from craigslist for a huge loss but I needed money and they had curb rash I wasn't willing to deal with. I decided I didn't wanna pay $300 to powdercoat the wheels, and I could buy a new set for that much... Well now I'm not certain, because I found the wheel design I REALLY want but now WheelMax doesn't show them on their site anymore, but they are still on the brands site. Even though it is one of their in-house brands (Nexo) :roll:

These are the wheels I really want:

They are virtually identical to the ones Silversport and Canada had that I absolutely love. I really hope I can find some in gunmetal. They are cheap and great looking. If not I may go with these:

Not the style I wanted, but the extra spoke isn't tooo terrible. But they cost more! ugh. Hopefully I'll be able to afford wheels soonish though.

As for the PCed valve cover, I'd love to get my hands on one, or just a Magnum VC I can get PCed but that will wait until summer probably. The big purchases will have to be taken care of before then:

-Wheels/Nitto Neo Gens
-Tokico HP struts
-Hotchkis sway bars (hopefully)

thennn, eventually:
-35% tint
-Black housing headlights
-S-Style eyelids (maybe)
-Painted outer mirrors (maybe)
-Rear disc brakes (hopefully)
-SRT Viper seats (realllyyy want)

I found an OB SRT rear bumper locally that I reallyy want, but I should save up for the other stuff I need first.

Allssssoooooo, I found a crack in the paint at the edge of my passenger side fender right where it meets the bumper and its starting to rust! :cussing: sooo, I'm hoping I can get one of the body men my dad works with to blend the repair in so I don't have to deal with trying to replace the stripes.

Sorry for the ginormous post! :lol:
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 am

Ok, here's a quick terrible chop of what I want:

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:55 am

that looks AWESOME

color match the mirrors.

you going to carlisle?
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:58 am

haha thanks. I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I'm really hoping I can find these wheels. I think will look great on the car. I need to call WheelMax and see what the deal is with the wheels.

I think I'm gonna color match the mirrors. Still on the fence about it though. And yes, I'm plaaning on going to carlisle :lol:

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:33 am

i like the wheels they will look sick on there

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:15 am

Hell yeah that looks awesome! (no sarcasm at all) I love the wheel choice. :) Now...expedite lol

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:56 am

Love the chop, do it now! Credit cards, debt, whatever, you'll have a sweet looking ride! :lol:
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:27 am

I honestly like the 2nd choice in wheels better...but that's just me. And I just might have a Magnum valve cover for sale sometime in the near future. It's painted, not powdercoated...and the paint is cracked so you'd have to strip it and go from there. It's the one that is currently on my car and the "2.0L 16 valve" is shaved off for a cleaner look. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give ya a deal on it when it comes off the car :)
-Brodie
2001 Dodge Neon R/T - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:50 am

Wow, photoshop looks nice.
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

Okay...the goldish tinge was buggin the hell out of me! I fixed it :)

And another with the other wheels
-Brodie
2001 Dodge Neon R/T - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone! Thanks for the chops too Brodie. I kinda suck at photoshop, and didn't spend much time on them either. And yeah, I'm interested in your old VC. So PM me when you're ready to get rid of it and we can work something out. Hmmm.... Those 7 spokes don't look too bad. I just really like the 6 spokes, and theyre like $20 cheaper per wheel... But I probably won't be able to find them in gunmetal. If I can't, I'll go with the 7 spokes. I just didn't want them because the SXT wheels are 7 spokes and hate them haha. But these have larger openings and a lip so it looks much better!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:43 pm

It was a gorgeous day yesterday so I decided to finally paint the ugly chrome trim. The paint has been sitting here staring at me and I had to resist the urge due to the weather... well this was the time!

I sanded them all with 300 grit sandpaper which was what I had. It took forever to get them properly scuffed because 300 is not very abrasive. Once they were sufficient, I washed them in soapy water, dried them and sprayed a few coats of gray primer on them. After that dried, I sprayed 3 coats of PS2 silver base coat on them. After that had dried, I laid down 4 coats of clear. I let them cure overnight, then buffed them with some rubbing compound, waxed them and reinstalled today.

These pictures suck. They look excellent in person, except for a few tiny dust particles that landed on two of them but they aren't that noticeable and I was too lazy to bother sanding them and repainting haha.

Here they are installed

I'm very pleased with the outcome, and the color match is perfect too! I think this simple mod makes it look a million times better. I hate chrome.

Afterwards, I went over to my sisters house and took a pic of her neon, her husband's, and mine. Disregard my brother in law flipping the camera off.

Now I have another dilemma. I don't know what to do about the Ram's head badge. Here are my options. Tell me what you think:

1) Leave it as is
2) Paint the emblem PS2 silver
3) Paint the emblem flat black, and the background PS2
4) Replace with a Mopar "M" badge.

I'm up in the air about it. I'm not sure what to do.
Last edited by sidepipe87 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 pm

#3 would be interesting!
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

measy27
2GN Member

Post by measy27 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Inserts look great. i need a set bad.
'06 Nissan Murano S AWD

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Thats one unique driveway you have there. The painted trim looks so much better than the chrome. I would go with #3 and if that fails go with the last one.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:13 pm

FYI you aren't supposed to wax fresh paint until after 30 days when the solvent has totally evaporated. Waxing the paint traps the solvent which can lead to lifting down the road.

They look awesome though, and I'd go with number three also.

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:45 pm

#4 :thumbup:
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 pm

Dude, I did #3 a long-ass time ago! Looks pimp. I say do it! Here's a few pics of it fo yo azz...

I'd also paint the bottom grille "braces" black. It'll clean up the front so much! I was going to do it, but I got the SRT-Design bumper on before I could do it.
-Brodie

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:05 pm

How did you do that so clean? Looks nice brodie
FEEDBACK

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Looks good.

I vote #1. Leave it looking semi-stock-ish.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks everyone!

Crystal - That doesn't surprise me. However, I figured I shouldn't have even been using rubbing compound on it a day after it was painted but I did that anyway too :rofl: I doubt it will lift. I used to paint model cars, and I was impatient back then too and none ever lfted :lol: Thanks for the technical info though!

MyNeonSaysHi - Haha, yeah that's my sister's driveway. It's pretty special!

Brodie - Yeahh, I thought I remembered you did that. I'm pretty sure that's where I got the idea. Dammit, I don't want everyone to think I'm just trying to bite your style, I'm not! I had the idea for the cudas and stuff before I even logged on this site and saw yours. I then proceeded to facepalm myself, and carry on anyway haha. Anyway, I think I will do that for now and If I don't like it I'll go with the "M". Also, I might paint those ribs. I'm definitely gonna go back and paint the bumper underneath flat black since I didn't initially.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:How did you do that so clean? Looks nice brodie
The Ram piece can be seperated from the background piece (unlike the SRT-4's, I think), so I'm guessing... he painted them separately? :thumbup:
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:18 pm

How do you take that Rams head badge off anyway?

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:20 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Brodie - Yeahh, I thought I remembered you did that. I'm pretty sure that's where I got the idea. Dammit, I don't want everyone to think I'm just trying to bite your style, I'm not! I had the idea for the cudas and stuff before I even logged on this site and saw yours. I then proceeded to facepalm myself, and carry on anyway haha. Anyway, I think I will do that for now and If I don't like it I'll go with the "M". Also, I might paint those ribs. I'm definitely gonna go back and paint the bumper underneath flat black since I didn't initially.
Everyone asks me the same thing...if I copied Crystalmarie's car, and it's the same story with yours...I didn't even know of her car when I was doing mine. I have no problems what so ever if you wanna do the badge the same as mine. As a matter of fact, I can look to see if I still have it on my bumper. If I do, I'll just trade yours for mine if you want (want to have one on the bumper if I sell it sometime down the road). Let me know.
Also, I forgot to paint underneathe my bumper too...I'm just gonna get some flat black vinyl and stick it on there so I don't have to paint it.
-Brodie

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:23 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:How do you take that Rams head badge off anyway?
Very carefully :rofl: I sort of wanted to keep mine, but I broke it on accident :banghead: it's alright though because I was removing it to replace it with the Mopar badge.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:45 pm

This pic should give you an idea of how it comes off...

You want to pop the bottom stud out first from behind the bumper, then the upper tabs should pull right out. That's how I remember it anyways.
Last edited by supertrick_05 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Brodie

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm

the grill trim looks good im gonna paint them when i finally get my lip kit and do my mirrors

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:22 pm

Damn that trim looks great! Easy to pull off?
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 am

Brodie - Thanks for the offer, but I'll just attempt it myself If I do it. I enjoy doing work :lol: And thanks for the pics, that helps a lot!

DOS - I think I'm gonna do my mirrors too. Although, I might just have a body shop do them because It would be more durable and I don't want them to get rock chips in them.

Sean - no... haha. I used a putty knife with a cloth wrapped over it and gently pried. I wanted to be sure not to break the tabs because I heard some people did. The first one was a mofo to get out! Once I figured out 'the procedure' lol it wasn't so bad. I was surprised how dirty the bumper was under them though. yuck!

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 am

Ah ok... yeah I don't do difficult so nvm. :lol:

Return to “Progress/Project Log”