ZeroChad's Log -- Parting out this weekend.

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:17 am

Nice car...one of my favorites.... :thumbup:

Question: where did you find the fogs for the 02 bumper...these are supposed to be different in shape than any other year?! .....did you confirm they fit?

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:56 pm

2002turboneon wrote:sexy...will be doing the same to the srt head...did u keep the intake a little ruff...polish the exhaust ot get a really nice flow from them...soemthign aboiut air fuel mixture works better if intake is just a little ruff to the touch
Yeah I actually haven't done anything to the intake side yet. The sanding drums that I have are 80 and 120 grit, but those might be too fine. I have to do a little more research into how smooth is too smooth.
latief wrote:Nice car...one of my favorites.... :thumbup:

Question: where did you find the fogs for the 02 bumper...these are supposed to be different in shape than any other year?! .....did you confirm they fit?
I appreciate it man! I got the fogs from a private seller. But yeah, the 01-02rt and 02 are different then the 00-01 bumper style. I'm not sure what's different about them though. I haven't tried fitting them in yet, but the shape looks the same when I hold them up to my bumper.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 am

UPDATE 12-24-08

Damn lake effect snow! Its been snowing here since Thursday... I managed to get stuck at work on Friday that was not fun. Basically the dude plowing our lot did a single pass and made a huge drift behind my car.

Well, I did get a few more of the remaining parts in. I received the fuel rail I ordered from lionheartedsxt. It fits the 24# mustang injectors perfectly.

3 gauge pillar came in too. I don't think I'll have the budget to get the gauges I want before my rebuild comes, so this might be in the closet for a while. Amazon has them for pretty cheap right now.

Lastly, my downpipe came in. They shipped me the wrong one. I was suppose to get one with a resonator, but instead I received one with a flex pipe. It still has the two 02 bungs though, so thats cool.

Holding it up to the light though, I can see pin holes of light through the cross hatching. Is this a bad thing? Logically, I would think it would leak, but I'm unfamiliar with flex pipes. I really don't want to ship it back since the seller is in Canada.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Looks like any other flex pipe that I've seen. I don't think it would cause an issue. They are necessary though, to prevent breakage in the exhaust you need something that flexes. Everything looks good! Except the snow of course :(

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Hrm, kinda weird but I suspect you'd be okay. What muffler are you running right now?
So many neons so little time.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:39 pm

Nice man, Glad to see you put that fuel rail to good use and also good that it fits those injectors so well!

And so that snow disaster doesn't happen again I will paypal you some money to buy a flamethrower :twisted:
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:55 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Looks like any other flex pipe that I've seen. I don't think it would cause an issue. They are necessary though, to prevent breakage in the exhaust you need something that flexes. Everything looks good! Except the snow of course :(
Yeah, I figure I'll try it out. If its loud, I'll just deal with it till spring/summer.
invujerry wrote: Hrm, kinda weird but I suspect you'd be okay. What muffler are you running right now?
Borla Catback (NA) Damn does that thing sound sexy. I have a feeling taking out the cat will make the exhaust a little louder, but I think the borla will filter out the raspiness well.
And so that snow disaster doesn't happen again I will paypal you some money to buy a flamethrower Twisted Evil
Well dang, I just might need to get stuck one more time lol! :violent3:
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:59 pm

It will make it ALOT louder..... :)

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Yes, tons.

Stock manifold and ricecan:

Long tube, no cat, ricecan:

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:43 pm

^ That sounds vicious. I can't wait till you get that motor in Jerry, we'll need dyno/.25 slips right away.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:48 pm

That was my old exhaust setup with an AFX long tube, and the apexi knockoff exhaust. Late January is when I think the new motor is going into the 98. I'll hopefully have slips in February or March, and I'm hoping to dyno sometime in there too. Not sure what I'm gonig to do for an exhaust. I have a dynomax catback on right now, with a cheap dynomax muffler. I might buy an apexi catback off my buddy, figure, if it'll actually go kinda fast, why not run a cannon?! lol

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:47 pm

UPDATE: 12-29-08

My melling oil pump is here! It looks pretty sweet. I think I will port the inlet a little bit.

Things I've ordered:
6000k HID kit for the fogs
Mag header w/ heatsheild

Once the header gets here, I'll finally have all of the parts for my rebuild. The HID kit is the same temperature as the one in my projectors. I might be installing those in my fogs during the rebuild if I have time. I'm thinking about opening the fogs up and tinting them from the inside.

Today, I installed the 24# injectors. The buyer of the other 4 from the set was having some problems, so I had to verify that they would work. This bolted up pretty well. They are a little bit longer than stock, so I'll need to put some washers behind the fuel rail. Also, I'll be swapping out to my other fuel rail, and keep this one for a backup during my rebuild, since my stock one has the valve on the end.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 pm

UPDATE 1-2-02

I received my second HID kit today. I purchased it from the same ebay reseller that I got my last kit from. Its a 6000k kit. The H10 bulb fits perfectly in place of the 9145 stock halogen bulb. I'll be wiring them up in the spring after I tint the fogs. I'll have them wired to a toggle swithc in the cabin. Not much else new besides that.

Fogs with stock halogen bulb.

Fogs with HID bulbs.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

One of my solder joints must have broken from this freaking freezing weather, a headlight went out. I should be able to make a trip up to my dad's heated garage to fix it sunday. With any luck I'll have some time to install the fogs.

Header is on the way!
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:14 pm

the brighter the better
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

sullivan
2GN Member

Post by sullivan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:15 pm

nice progress man! as far as the P&P goes on the head, keep the intake side rougher, otherwise the fuel will just condensate on the walls of the head rather than mixing properly. make the exhaust as smoooth as possible..

cheers
My AIM Username is sullivan_is_back@hotmail.com (yes @hotmail.com)

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:47 am

Oh so it turned out that my driver-side ballast was shot. I had to use one of my fog ballasts to replace it with. Hopefully I'll get a replacement coming rather soon.

I'm looking at setting a date for the rebuild pretty quickly here. If all goes well I might have some extra money for that wideband to install at the same time.

After the rebuild, I'm really looking at a DIY megaquirt 2 v3 kit.
Last edited by ZeroChad on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:07 pm

UPDATE 2-15-08
So I've scheduled the rebuild for the weekend of March 7. It'll be done in my buddies heated garage down by Detroit. Hopefully there won't be too much snow around then. I still have a few things to get done before then, but I'm pretty much ready and excited as balls.
  • Things left to do
    Get 02 Bung welded on header
    Hand smooth the exhaust ports with some 400+ grit
    Sand down the header ports a touch (get rid of carbon buildup)
    Purchase Anti-fouler
    Purchase oil & coolant
    Purchase Beer
I am soo ready to do this. I'm hoping to have around 160hp when everything is installed and operating correctly. I'm still running unleaded gas right now, since my gas giftcards(speedway) don't sell e85. Once those run out though, I'll reset the ecu and be on the e85.

After the rebuild its megasquirt time. I've been researching and reading a good amount, but I still have quite a bit to do. I'm hoping to fully document the process and make a completely bad-ass howto.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 pm

UPDATE 3-3-08

3 days left. School is being a huge bitch, so this should be a nice stress reliever. Everything is ready, but buying the replacement fluids.

Oh, and I got this in the mail on Monday!

I figured we might as well install it while I have the downpipe out, rather than later on. The weather is suppose to get into the 50's this weekend. Booyah!
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm

:thumbup:
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:47 pm

Wow dude, the car is lookin great! I feel ya on the lake effect...I live in Duluth, MN and it's right off of Lake Superior so we get some funky-ass weather. Can't wait till all the snow is gone!
-Brodie
2001 Dodge Neon R/T - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 pm

build looks good so far but you really need to bump up the compression to take full advantage of the e85. I hope you reach your goal of 160hp, i have a feeling it's going to be real close.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:58 pm

hybrid-Srt2001 wrote:build looks good so far but you really need to bump up the compression to take full advantage of the e85. I hope you reach your goal of 160hp, i have a feeling it's going to be real close.
I hope so too man. For now the compression will be staying the same. In the summer I'll install megasquirt. Then I should be able to get a little usage out of that extra octane rating from the e85.
supertrick_05 wrote:Wow dude, the car is lookin great! I feel ya on the lake effect...I live in Duluth, MN and it's right off of Lake Superior so we get some funky-ass weather. Can't wait till all the snow is gone!
Thanks! No kidding dude, when I graduate I'm going somewhere warm were I don't have to worry about snow anymore.
Speeder wrote::thumbup:
:D
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:42 am

Well we finished with the first day of the rebuild. Basically we tore everything off the engine that we possibly could be sides the block.

Things we learned today

Pulleys suck no matter what shape or size.
Heat shield brackets suck even more
Engine mount brackets take the cake for sucking
"That's what she said" jokes during engine rebuilds are priceless

I still can't believe my care is sitting in a pole barn with half the engine sitting out.

Lil Teaser
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 pm

what header are you going to use.
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

The Rebuild is Done!

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Well it too pretty much all weekend but the rebuild is officially complete. Now I need to go through the buttload of pictures and throw them up here.

Things went pretty well. We did have a slight problem when we threw on the crankshaft sprocket backwards, but other than that there weren't any major problems. She started up the first try too. Cranked three times and fired up. The gaskets burnt off for a few minutes, and an unplugged vacuum tube was making a hellascious noise, yet she ran good and strong.

I drove back home this morning in her and was surprised at how smoothly she ran. There is a huge increase in power to, though I'm babying her for the first hundred miles just to be safe. Only have one check engine light for the downstream 02 sensor not being plugged in. The second bung on the downpipe would have contacted the car body.

hybrid-Srt2001 wrote:what header are you going to use.
I swapped out the stock with a magnum header.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 pm

congrats man. go to the dyno now :D
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

61 Pictures of Rebuild Goodness.

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Pulled into the pullbarn and ready. That's a leMons in the background

Took off the Intake manifold and valve cover next

A better picture of the state of the rockers

Not really sure what we were doing here

Taking off the exhaust manifold

Goodbye underdrive pulley

Next, the block was jacked up. We probably had to move the whole engine up and down around 10 times. We also placed a small jack under the trans to assist with the front and back movement of the engine.

Jacked her up and removed both torque struts and the right engine mount bolt.

The header was really hard to remove since we weren't able to detach it from the downpipe so we left it in to take out later.

Dude taking out the engine mount bracket was a pain in the neck. We finally got it out and found out that the oem tensioner was the newer litens model. Zero must have been made in late 2002

Here's a picture showing how high the engine had to be raised.

The serpentine belt tensioner was then replaced with a new one. The old one was making a lot of noise.

Removing the tensioner.

The head was then taken off. Goodbye crappy exhaust ports. The pistons looked to be in great shape!

Finally removing the old header.

Water pump removed

The crank shaft sprocket was then taken off to get to the oil pump

To get to the oil pump the sump had to be loosened up in the oil pan so we removed the pan. Check out the crankshaft and rods!

Putting in the new pump. So shiny!

Meanwhile my friend Terry scrubbed and cleaned all the crap out of the oil pan. It looks fantastic

New water pump installed.

The crank sprocket was then put on. (We didn't get it on all the way so we had to yank it off later.) the second time we put it on, someone put it on backwards. It would have been cool, but the holes where the puller bolts go through weren't threaded all the way so we had to find a tap&die set to thread the backs and remove it.

Josh cleaning up the header bolts to attach the new downpipe.

Here's Terry working some magic on the Block surface. There was a good amount of gasket needed to be removed.

It came out gorgeous

Installing the ARP Head studs!

Here's me coming in with the new HEART!

Torquing her down.

Ooo Pretty

Here's us removing the sprocket since it wasn't on far enough. (see above)

Putting the biotch mounting bracket back on

Here's how contorted the engine looked

Our buddy Rich welding on an adapter for the exhaust.

Some exhaust pics. We had already preinstalled the arp exhaust studs to the head.

Me putting the manifolds and lines back on.

Tada!

Our favorite tools from the job!

What a better way to end the night then to drop a glove and have it hit the floor doing the SHOCKER!
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

sullivan
2GN Member

Post by sullivan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:57 pm

nice work man!
My AIM Username is sullivan_is_back@hotmail.com (yes @hotmail.com)

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 am

Damn, that looks like a lot of fun! Nice rebuild.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”