03sxr/t - SRT swapped 2003 R/T... back to the body!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
03sxr/t
2GN Member

03sxr/t - SRT swapped 2003 R/T... back to the body!

Post by 03sxr/t » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Well I have finally been able to start some work on the car. It needs a lot of exterior attention, but I am starting inside and working my way out. This is the progress so far

Interior pieces and headliner pulled

Starting upholstery

Paint Before and after (dark after)

Headliner looks lighter than it is due to the flash

My dirty seats

A yard of Carbon Fiber look alike vinyl

So i just have a few pieces to finish painting since I ran out of paint, should have got 2 cans. Door inserts will have to wait till the weekend to go back in, dont have any time to work on it right now.

Im taking the left over vinyl in to an upholster in the next bit to get them to make a new shifter boot but may wait until I get a STS so I can change the shift knob.

Im thinking stereo is next, namely the trunk
:rockon:
Last edited by 03sxr/t on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:05 am, edited 11 times in total.

neonpla
2GN Member

Post by neonpla » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:31 pm

i <3 the head liner, did you die it?
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:13 am

Sweet work! I've been looking at doing that project for a long time. It came out great though man. How much of a biotch were the visors?
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:41 am

neonpla wrote:i <3 the head liner, did you die it?
Nope. New headliner fabric glued on.
ZeroChad wrote:Sweet work! I've been looking at doing that project for a long time. It came out great though man. How much of a biotch were the visors?
Visors weren't that bad actually. I used a tool to tuck the fabric in around the edges and a bit of hot glue around the mirrors on the inside. Looks very close to factory.

The biggest pain were the door inserts. Making sure that the "weave" was the same way on each panel was a pain. Its a little detail but it would always bug me. Driver and passenger side are a mirror image of each other.

Addicted2Boost
2GN Member

Post by Addicted2Boost » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:43 am

very nice this is what i will be doing to mine once the big turbo setup is complete. Full black on black inside cant wait to see when your done. Did you spray the ceiling or did you buy new fabric

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 am

black everything looks soo much better.
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:03 am

Sweet, nice roof. I tried dying mines but I couldn't find a container large enough to put the whole piece in, and So I tried to dump it on. It only turrned out a little grayer. But I'm fine with it now. What kind of glue did you use? Wouldn't the heat make the glue soft again and eventually make the new fabric fall off?

Mopar65
2GN Member

Post by Mopar65 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Where did you get that carbon fiber vinyl look-alike stuff from? Nice work by the way

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 pm

awwwweeesooooooome I always wanted my interior to be completely black.

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 pm

sweet great minds think alike i've wanted todo this forever!

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Damn, very badass. Reminds me of when I did mine..i loved the mod. Made it feel cozier inside
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Lookin damn good!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Mopar65 wrote:Where did you get that carbon fiber vinyl look-alike stuff from? Nice work by the way
I ordered it from a local shop here in Red Deer Alberta, but they got it from a place called J. Ennis Fabrics LTD. The product is "Robocop 997 Stainless Steel"
Mat666 wrote:Sweet, nice roof. I tried dying mines but I couldn't find a container large enough to put the whole piece in, and So I tried to dump it on. It only turrned out a little grayer. But I'm fine with it now. What kind of glue did you use? Wouldn't the heat make the glue soft again and eventually make the new fabric fall off?
I used a high temp rattle can spray glue for fabrics. Cant think of the name now. I used the entire can and tossed it out. If by some chance it does fail I bought enough fabric to do it again and I will use a different product/glue. To be honest this is a lot of trial and error as I have never attempted this before so live and learn I guess. I have heard that most of the problems form from edges not being glued very well. I made sure there was lots around every edge! And for most of it I wrapped the fabric around and hot glued it

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Hell its been a while since I updated this....

Went on vacation a few weeks ago with the car. Drove about 1500km to our destination, was there for about 45 min and guess what

$2250 in damage. My gf's mom, who backed into the car, is paying me for the damages... then I am going to fix it myself at work. Really made me loose interest until I picked up a Mopar Lip Kit this past weekend.

Now im just trying to get everything on the car to move. Car is in its worst looking state it has ever been in. Now with 2 black bumpers, red lip kit and a screwed door.

I had to install the lip kit as we are moving at the end of the month and I dont have room to pack spare parts. Hopefully within a few months of being at the new shop ill be able to use the paint booth for a weekend. Ill post pics of my multi-colored dented to shit car soon.

I also had my SRT exhaust narrowed so that it would fit with the lip kit.

skaterking411
2GN Member

Post by skaterking411 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:18 pm

i want to do that to my car so bad

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Get it hit by someone you know?
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:41 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:Get it hit by someone you know?
he said it was his girlfriends mom

i love the interior. its fucking nice

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:43 pm

I was referring to the post above me the "I wanna do that" post by skaterking

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Aww that sucks man. Hopefully you get it fixed and painted to match colors soon!

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Well not much to add at this point. Moved out to BC so plans kinda got put on hold with the car for a while. Since the last update I installed a mopar STS with factory knob, srt shift boot and srt pedals. Also tossed on another door and painted it at work. Still have to finish a few pieces of the interior and get a new clip for the drivers side visor, finally broke lol.

Plans for now -

- Finish interior paint
- Get new shift boot made with left over material that I used on the door inserts. Will look like a factory SRT one but silver
- Probably do something better with the stereo, maybe small amp rack and fglass box
- Exterior... still not 100% sure what to do. Should I stay factory yellow or do something like a tri-coat lambo yellow?
- Probably just roll on my factory r/t rims this upcoming summer, maybe go with some coil overs

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:29 pm

Sounds like it'll look beast when you're done! Can't wait to see.

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:35 pm

I should add too that im running SRT exhaust with the mopar lipkit. Had to get the rear section of the exhause narrowed a bit to fit. One side fits perfect... other is a hair off but when I paint he car ill bend that side a bit to make it fit once i have everything fit the way I want. Heres some pics of her in all her multi-colored glory... and to think, im a Bodyman/painter lol

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:21 pm

mismatched parts add an interesting look to the car.

You're from Red Deer, eh? There's a sexy female engineering major in one of my classes from there. Damn Canadians taking over the U.S. :lol:
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

v95
2GN Member

Post by v95 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 pm

loving the mismatched colors.
I Hate Your Neon!!!

you can not imagine immensity of the fuck that I do not give about your comment.

silverneontuner
2GN Member

Post by silverneontuner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 pm

what paint did you use on your interior?

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:54 pm

V.95srt wrote:loving the mismatched colors.
Im not. It drives me nuts... but I dont want to do anything with it until winter is over and all the gravel they put on the roads up here is gone. Going to hate next winter... anyone know if a bra will work with a front lip or if I would have to take it off?

sidepipe87 wrote:mismatched parts add an interesting look to the car.

You're from Red Deer, eh? There's a sexy female engineering major in one of my classes from there. Damn Canadians taking over the U.S. :lol:
I was living in Red Deer. I moved from there in August to a place called Smithers in BC. I am originally from Manitoba though.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Poor little R/T needs some love. The interior came out nicely. I was wondering the same thing about the bra.

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Poor little R/T needs some love. The interior came out nicely. I was wondering the same thing about the bra.
Shes had a hard life. When I was 18 and bought it I was on my 4th car and didnt think that I would have it this long so I didnt care at that point. What a difference almost 6 years makes.

Wouldnt mind your opinion about paint as you have a custom painted one and a yellow one. I have been thinking about going with Giallo Midas Pearl (Lambo yellow) as it is very close to the original yellow, meaning that if I dont do jamps and underhood no big deal. Or should I keep it the factory color. Either way its getting a complete.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:06 pm

If you want to put more into her go with the three stage Lambo color, that is a VERY nice color IMO. Frankly all of their three stages are pretty as hell. I actually just picked up my SXT a little over two months ago, trying to do improvements slowly. My paint needs TLC from sitting and not being cared for for the past six years much like you said.

Go for the Midas Pearl....you won't regret it. It's no skin off your back either way since you'll be the one painting it. Just one extra "coat" of paint for the three stage.

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:06 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:If you want to put more into her go with the three stage Lambo color, that is a VERY nice color IMO. Frankly all of their three stages are pretty as hell. I actually just picked up my SXT a little over two months ago, trying to do improvements slowly. My paint needs TLC from sitting and not being cared for for the past six years much like you said.

Go for the Midas Pearl....you won't regret it. It's no skin off your back either way since you'll be the one painting it. Just one extra "coat" of paint for the three stage.
I think thats exactly what im going to go for. 2 years back I was going to spray her but I switched jobs and didnt work at a shop where I was able to work on my own stuff for a while. I sprayed out some cards as I was trying to figure out where I wanted to go with the car. At the time I also had a body kit for it, but came to my senses and sold it. heres the samples I sprayed...

Same red as my '97 Avenger I had back in the day

A blue I picked out, cant remember the code now but it might be the blue used on new vipers

Lambo yellow

I came to the realization that I dont want to paint jambs and engine bay if I dont have to so yellow is the way to go. One day if I ever do a srt swap I will paint the engine bay black while im in there, making it easy for me to go to any color I wish for exterior.

As for new updates
Living in BC, Canada= front plate again :noway

Built a bracket to hold the plate a few weeks ago so I dont have to drill holes in this bumper, just in case we move back to Alberta at some point while I still have her. I didnt want it on center and I wanted it to sit at a slight angle pointing away from the front to follow how the bumper comes around to the side. Heres what I did.

On the car from drivers side... cant make out the plate but can see its there

From the front....

closeup

I then took it back off and sealed it and painted it black

I cant wait till spring to giver a nice fresh coat of paint. I have the time to do it now as we have been a bit slow since new years but its like they use 3/4 crush on the roads out here instead of sand/salt so I want to wait till its being cleaned up before I do body/paint.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”