Quitting smoking

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Quitting smoking

Post by Fuzzyneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 pm

as some of you know from facebook statuses im going cold turkey its been 47.5 hours without a single smoke. No its not easy ive been chewing on straws and fiddling with every object coin or whatever i can grab. As most of you know who where at carlisle i smoke ALOT, im not posting this for any particular reason hope i can help someone else quit. DISCUSS
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Eh, I'm not a quitter. You suck.

:rofl: I kid of course.

I commend you for going cold turkey. While difficult, it really is the best way. I have a different approach...I smoke for about 8 months then quit for 5-8 months. Gives my lungs a chance to rebuild themselves, and about that time I'm missing the habit again.

I found the hardest thing to beat isn't the nicotine, but the action of smoking itself...especially in social situations.

Good luck to you man!
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:05 pm

I have this terrible feeling im gonna start smoking again after the drug is long gone out of my system:-p
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Don't you dare start again or else I will find you and....kick your lip-kit. :-P

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:41 pm

JeffM wrote:Don't you dare start again or else I will find you and....kick your lip-kit. :-P
go ahead it makes sweet love to the ground every time the road isn't perfectly even.
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Fuzzyneon wrote:
JeffM wrote:Don't you dare start again or else I will find you and....kick your lip-kit. :-P
go ahead it makes sweet love to the ground every time the road isn't perfectly even.
:laughing3: :laughing3: I can still hear it scrapping at Carlisle.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:03 pm

Hang in there man you can do it! Just try to stay busy with other things.
It really is a disgusting expensive habit. Most of my friends smoked in high school but I never let peer pressure get to me. Having a grandfather die from lung cancer when I was young helped me the most not get into the whole "smoking thing"

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

King Crab
2GN Member

Post by King Crab » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I too believe that quitting cold turkey is the way to go. I quit twice before it took hold the third time. The first time lasted for 6 months, then I lasted 9 months. When I was actually really ready to quit, it stuck for good. And that was over 16 years ago.

Stick to your guns!!! :thumbup:
~David~

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:37 pm

:shock: Wait, who the hell just posted?!? I seem to remember someone who liked crabs....

Howdy stranger :D
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:48 pm

JeffM wrote:
Fuzzyneon wrote:
:laughing3: :laughing3: I can still hear it scrapping at Carlisle.
Lol ! that was so full of win
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Moparty08
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by Moparty08 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Quitting cold turkey works though. My friend quit on his 20th bday in april of last year and he still hasn't had a cig. he's done for good. just gotta try to think of other things especially after you eat. Just chew gum and crap after.
New Hampshire is the only state with the word DIE in it's state motto.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #000069

Official "2gn Fuzzy Dice Club" Member #1

srtjesse
2GN Member

Post by srtjesse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:02 pm

just dont give up bro and keep a good mental attitude and you can do anything you set your mind to hey try doing this every time you feel like smoking just masturbate you are going to get so tired that you wont want to smoke

wait no nvrming masturbating will make you wanna smoke umm nvrmnd lol

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone :(
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone :(
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:49 pm

srtjesse wrote: wait no nvrming masturbating will make you wanna smoke umm nvrmnd lol
How would you know... :slap:
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I successfully quit smoking twice(that doesn't sound right), but the first time I lasted 8 months then started smoking cause I was stressed out cause I was away at work alot with odd stomach pains and my GF left me cause I cheated on her. Aww well.

I got her back and stopped smoking again after about 5 months and have been clean since Jan 30/09.

Both times I used the gum, but I think the trick is to chew it until you get sick of it. I will admit it was def the hardest challenge of my life but it's worth it. When you smoke it's like a fog covering your vision, your thoughts are mangled, you get frustrated easier (once you quit it will take about 2months to get past the frustration phase).

Cold turkey is the hardest! I read somewhere that only 3% of cold turkey quiters actually succeed. So good luck to you! But I suggest the gum, but only chew it once you have waited some time after your cravings start!

Edit: Also, smoking weed is a good way to help quit smoking, and it's ALOT easier to quit that once you have quit smoking. I think it has something to do with actually SMOKING something and not really the nicotine, I believe the focused thoughts of being high helps block out alot of those cravings. For me at least.

srtjesse
2GN Member

Post by srtjesse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Haganracing wrote:
srtjesse wrote: wait no nvrming masturbating will make you wanna smoke umm nvrmnd lol
i read a review on google haha jk, i was just fucking around lol i wouldnt know since i dont smoke lol

phazeneon
2GN Member

Post by phazeneon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm

all i can say, being an avid smoker, "Winners Never Quit, and I'm a winner" LOL... i wish i could quit. I am the only one out of my click that smokes, it's so irritating. Good Luck and if you cant smoke 'em, do lines or shoot 'em up... j/k, anyways good luck again, as for me, smoke em if you got em.

BTW: beware of the weight gain after quitting...

srtjesse
2GN Member

Post by srtjesse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:17 pm

rod quit saying stupid shit lol now he wont quit smoking haha hey come over to my crib after work foo

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:21 pm

srtjesse wrote:
Haganracing wrote:
i read a review on google haha jk, i was just fucking around lol i wouldnt know since i dont smoke lol
:rofl:
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 pm

I never gained weight after smoking. Unless you are already fat and have a bad eating vice/habit then I don't think it's an issue.

So if you already have trouble controlling your eating habits then yes, you might get fatter only if you go to food to curb your cravings, but if you are a normal person who eats normally getting fatter shouldn't happen.

Though I am not a scientist, it just makes sense. Humans always need something to do, and if you stop smoking you need to find something else to fill that time up with, some people choose food.

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 pm

I eat when i dont know what to do..

:D

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 pm

phazeneon wrote:BTW: beware of the weight gain after quitting...
i gained like 15lbs at the worst point. i also don't eat the healthiest all the time, but i eat better than i used to. if you've been smoking awhile it'll take your body time to readjust. just work out or something to pass the time. i quit cold turkey the middle of last october and haven't smoked since. do i still want one? sometimes. it's tough. this is my second time too.
Last edited by sneakers O'toole on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000004... or not..

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:11 pm

I used to smoke...one to two packs a day of Marlboro 72s Reds and Blues. December 31st 2006 I was invited to a New Year's Eve party at a friend's apartment. I attended and there were 15 people in one room...all smokers. I too was a smoker...but that much smoke in one room...killed me after six hours. I couldn't breathe, I lost my voice, my throat was sore and I just could NOT stand it. I almost passed out quite a few times and don't recall how I made it home (no...I wasn't drinking at all, I never do, and yes it was JUST cigarette smoke).

I had tried to quit previously but being around too many people who smoked made it difficult. That night driving home I knew I was done, I was killing myself and it was the first time I really felt it. The next day I went out and bought the patch. I was on it for two weeks....almost had a heart attack (I had one in December of 2005 two weeks before XMAS quitting was in my best interest).

I never ever looked back. It's been over 2.5 years now and I don't miss it. The money I save, I smell much better (god that smell is awful) and I'm much healthier. I gained absolutely no weight, I'm a wicked healthy eater, and after those two weeks it was all or nothing.

Some pointers:

- The gum will make your nauseated especially if you have acid reflux. It takes like chewing pepper.
- Don't wear the patch to bed if you choose to use it....you won't sleep and it will be the worst night of your life.
- The craving lasts only a few seconds...busy yourself while it's there with something else.
- You will find the smell of cigarette smoke actually repluses you....more so than usual.

Best of luck, I know it's difficult but quitting is one of the best choices you may ever make.

benzsxt
2GN Member

Post by benzsxt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Good for you Fuzzy!! I wish I could but I am happy with cigs. I would lose my mind without them. I use to smoke a lot of weed more than cigarettes. Everyday, everynight, everyone I knew smoked and we never went anywhere without it. I couldmt sleep at night unless I was high and I couldnt function without it. THAT was the hardest thing I have ever done. I thought I would never be able to quit. I just stopped cold turkey. I did however start smoking a lot more cigarettes but now I am down to about 3/4 of a pack a day. I avoid drinking because I feel that old need to puff and chug and I can go through a pack in a few hours trying to catch that high feeling. It has been about 7 years since I smoked, so I think I am doing good. I do have the nose of a bloodhound now though. I can smell weed from like 100 yards with an opposing wind! I feel good without it . I cant wait to feel good about no cigarettes!I want to work on the cigarette addiction by the end of the year. So 2010 I will be cig free. Its real hard when your 3yo tells you smoking will kill. I am going to do it for my girls. I want to see them for a long time!

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Image Just remember what I said.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Fuzzy, chimney's smoke a lot.

You make chimney's look like camp fires :lol:

True Story:

One of the greatest minds in tuning a nitro funny car, Austin Coil, quit smoking around 25 years ago. He took up chewing on toothpicks. To this day you will still see him chewing a toothpick.

Pick something to get you through the urges. Until toothpicks are found to cause cancer, I would say those are good options.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 pm

racer12306 wrote:Fuzzy, chimney's smoke a lot.

You make chimney's look like camp fires :lol:

True Story:

One of the greatest minds in tuning a nitro funny car, Austin Coil, quit smoking around 25 years ago. He took up chewing on toothpicks. To this day you will still see him chewing a toothpick.

Pick something to get you through the urges. Until toothpicks are found to cause cancer, I would say those are good options.
I think they do in lab rats in California. Chewing most of the gums on the market will give you mint fresh breath but most use sorbitol as a sweetner, sorbitol is used as a laxative so too much gum will leave you over the toilet.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:31 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> to you

After smoking for a year my Ex GF made me quit. that lasted about 2 months then she left me.

I sed fuckit and started again. this was last may. Ive been smoking since. Ive gotn to the point where i would have half a pack to a pack a day then 1 or 2 a day and i was fine. Im back to 5 or 6.

i wana quit but i cant. its mainly just the fact of doin the action. cuz theres times wen i get headaches from it but catch myself doing it cuz i get bored. working on a car or my truck makes it worse cuz i end up smoking every 10-20 minutes.

i could never do it cold turkey, i had to gradually step down.

People lose weight or dnt gain anything wen they smoke, i had the opposite effect. lol. but i digest fairly quik :thumbup:

some day il quit, just not now.

Just stick to it.

Good luck :rockon:
-J.J. | Official I sold my Neon Member #008
86.5 Nissan Hardbody LB- will be for sale soon...

1989 Yota PU- "Tammy" -Rest In Pieces...

2000 Plym Neon- "Stacy" -Sold 3/25/09 =(
Ntyvirus1 wrote:im debadged so i just drive a gray thing.

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:12 am

If you need more motivation, invite me up every time you smoke and I'll give you a swift kick to the balls.

Good luck though bro :)

Chris04sxt
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Chris04sxt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 am

=D> =D> =D> Congrats man!! It's not easy to do it cold turkey. It's been a month since my last cig so I feel your pain.
2GN Feedback
MoxHair wrote:I'll leg hump you dude..
and then when I'm done you can leg hump me.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 am

Passt wrote:If you need more motivation, invite me up every time you smoke and I'll give you a swift kick to the balls.
This made me EL OH EL.

Return to “Off-Topic”