Newlite's 01' ACR..2.4 I'm back guys!!!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.

What should i do with the ACR?

Restore it back to its orignal state?
19%
Perform the 2.4 swap along with everything else I had planned for the rt?
81%

Total votes: 36

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:13 pm

New shifter is in...:rockon:

Oh so clean.....tis a shame!

What happens when an idiot drives a car for few days after going through 4 ft of water...:banghead:

We are a mopar family!

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:25 pm

very nice my friend any luck in finding a srt manifold???

either way the car is coming along nicely
ImageImage
Hi my name is Jake and im not smarter than a fifth grader :thumbup:.
Phone Booth Member: 002

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:24 pm

sestormline29 wrote:very nice my friend any luck in finding a srt manifold???

either way the car is coming along nicely
Not yet, I thought I had someone interested in a partial trade for my tranny but I think they wanted to trade straight up. Ill make my first gen mani work before I ship a tranny to cali in exchange for a stock manifold.

Ill keep looking but I will not be dead in the water if I cant find one. I just have to imporvise for a while.

By the way, I placed the sohc harness onto the 2.4 and everything plugs right in......not to my surprise actually. All i have to do from what I can see immediatly is extend the coolant temp pig tail to the other side of the engine and extend the coil plug a little further up cus the dohc valve cover is taller. Everything else matched up perfectly. The only real change i will have to make is move the fuel injector plugs over one and extending one over to the other end.

From there is should be like installing a regular ole engine ina neon. I would venture to say that the biggest challenge will be to make the hood fit over the engine.....but even that may not be an issue. We will see.

neonpla
2GN Member

Post by neonpla » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 pm

looking real good.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4

neon2ner
2GN Member

Post by neon2ner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:13 am

cool project! i'll be keeping my eye on this.
Scott Woodworth
2004 SRT-4
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:34 pm

updates!?!?
ImageImage

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Wow, that's alot of neons! Nice progress on the engine so far. Gotta get that manifold!

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Sorry guys, Ive been swamped with work. And frustrated because my productivity has been low with the holiday weekend and all biteing into my work week.

Anyways, no further progress but this weekend that all should change. I may have to sell this car once im done with it though :cussing: .

If we cant sell my stratus either the rt or the acr has to go....and the rt is more practical. I have a guy that wants to do some tradeing so I am thinking about that......but if I can sell the dang stratus ill be golden.

Atleast I will have saved a worthy neon no matter what the outcome.

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 pm

damn that sucks dude shit well how much are u selling the stratus for?
ImageImage

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:26 pm

sestormline29 wrote:damn that sucks dude shit well how much are u selling the stratus for?
The deal is we still owe the bank like 7 grand on it and we bought it less than 4 months ago. We were hopeing to get around 5500.00 for it and then we would pay the rest of the loan off with some of our savings. Just seems like a slightly better option immediatly to sell either the acr or the rt for profit and just pay off the stratus once tax time rolles around. Personally I want to keep both neons, but I cant be picky when there is always a neon to be had....even acr's.

Its either keep em, sell the stratus and pay out 1500 or sell one of the neons and be up around 3grand??? Kinda tuff cus both options have major upsides. Getting rid of the stratus would get rid of about 350.00 in monthly payments due to full covereage insurance and all.

We will just see what happens. I still havent really tried to sell the stratus yet......since the acr isnt done yet. A deal that has been thrown my way is a trade for two older neons. Both run and one is fixed up pretty well....2.4 swap good shape....the other is a good low mileage driver. I just dont know. If I traded it would only be to come out with an extra car to give to my father in law, I would still sell the other one.

Whoahh.....talk about letting it all out! :shock:

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 am

damn man well if u sell the neons please write a how to doa 2.4 swap
ImageImage

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 am

newlitemotorist wrote:We are a mopar family!Image
that black one looks sick....what rims are those? moar pics of the black r/t please :D
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 am

superdan wrote:
newlitemotorist wrote:We are a mopar family!Image
that black one looks sick....what rims are those? moar pics of the black r/t please :D
Yeah thats my current daily! I found it in the same condition motor wise as I found the acr. Both of them came from cregslist. The rt is almost flawless though which is why I want to keep it....having a family and all its just more practical. The rims are gunmetal 16x7 rota's that need new tires. I am going with 245 50's to fill the wheel well out a little better. Right now the tires make the wheels look too small for the car which I hate! Ill get more pics of both shortly.

Hopeing to make some progress today!!!

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:15 pm

any progress home skillet
ImageImage

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:18 pm

oh my.... i would so drool all over that thing if it was mine :D

makes me want to :wackoff:
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:38 pm

sestormline29 wrote:any progress home skillet
Yes actually! I managed to pull the engine today. I had another project to complete so that is all I was able to do but it only took me about 2 hours to pull it leaving the tranny in. I forgot to take pics but I will be tearing down the magnum motor this week to investigate and because the head is pending sale so I will snap some pics then. I hope to have the 2.4 dropped in by the end of the week. Dont know if it will be running but it will be in.

Did I mention that the 2.0 wireing harness plugged right in to everything on the 2.4? The only thing I have to do is extend two plugs and rotate the fuel injector plugs one over. Everything else was plug and go......so far this hasnt proven to be any harder than simply replaceing the engine in one of these but Ill finish that statement once its in and running... :rockon:

Later guys.

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:34 am

nice nice well get some pics up man
ImageImage

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Finally had a chance to get some work done on the acr!!! 2.4 is in and I can see light at the end of the tunnel! Found a few grimmlins that will need some attention but all in all I am pleased with how easy it was. Gonna have to figure out the intake situation soon. I need to get a few srt 4 parts and I need to install the pt ps lines. After that and once the wireing is finished this thing should be going! Once I am done I promise I will give this baby a good cleaning....so ignore the mess for now. Kinda in a hurry since we got a buyer for the stratus.

Also, I will be throwing together a comprehensive list of things you will need for perform this swap....this list will not be long but it will help keep anyone who decides they want to try this out of trouble. Stay tuned.....lots more to come!

Here is a shot right after I had the engine mounted at the tranny and at the frame. The motor still needed to rotate back about an inch.

The first thing I noticed was that I am going to need a different style overflow tank since this one clearly will not fit. Srt peice should solve this problem....add that to the swap list.

Here I have the overflow tank removed and the engine is now completely mounted. Everything lined up perfectly as expected!

The hood cleared just fine also, this was the one thing I was worried about but for me it was a non issue.

The neon ac pump does not line up with the mounting holes of the pt bracket....so I will have to grab a pt ac pump which shouldnt be a problem. Thing that sucks is I payed for one when I got this engine but i didnt take it.....they charged me one rate for the ps pump/alternator/ac pump even though i didnt take the ac pump.

The pt dip stick will not work also...gonna have to use an srt style but this is what happens when you arent carefull. Luckily it pulled out of the block enough before it broke for me to get some pliers on it....could have been a setback.

And finally, this is what I plan to use for the ps reservour....its a 1st gen dohc peice and it bolts right onto the pt head in the same location.
Image :rockon:

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm

any luck on the intake manifold? j/w ... other than that damn dude car is looking great cant wait for this thing to be done, maybe you can come to the indy meet the FACELESS is having at his house in northern indiana on Halloween.
ImageImage

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:32 pm

sestormline29 wrote:any luck on the intake manifold? j/w ... other than that damn dude car is looking great cant wait for this thing to be done, maybe you can come to the indy meet the FACELESS is having at his house in northern indiana on Halloween.
Havent found one yet....still thinking that an srt 4 intake is going to be the easiest route. I still have a lot to do but I know i need to figure this out asap. :banghead:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Very nice man! Is it going to be 2.4 NA or turbo'd?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:11 pm

^ i believe its NA
ImageImage

sullivan
2GN Member

Post by sullivan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:20 pm

loving it man!
My AIM Username is sullivan_is_back@hotmail.com (yes @hotmail.com)

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:57 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Very nice man! Is it going to be 2.4 NA or turbo'd?
Yeah......its going to be left na. The whole point of me doing this is to show people a worthy N/A option over....say the magnum swap which could cost 600 bux or more. So far I have spent 300. And thats because I picked up a tranny as well! The 2.4 slipped right in, just have to get a few srt parts to tie it all together.

Heading over right now to get a few more things accomplished. I have to finish hooking up the tranny, clutch to flywheel, exhaust, coolant lines, and the wireing harness. Then its down to the intake.

I grabbed the pt ecu when I picked the motor up...gonna look into what would need to be done to make that work. Doing that would negate the need for bigger injectors. Might be as simple as switching around a few wires.

srtjesse
2GN Member

Post by srtjesse » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:00 pm

nice man progress is looking really good

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone :(
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone :(
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 am

Small update:

My intensions were to work on this all day saturday but I was just too tired and needed a lazy day so I figured Ill just work on it sunday. Well it rained pretty much all day yesterday but i still mannaged to get some stuff done.

The clutch is now mounted to the flywheel, the tranny is completely mounted, hydro clutch lines are re mounted, got the exhaust hooked up, and the power streering lines are hooked up. The pt power steering line runs under the oil pan which is right were the the srt charge pipe runs if someone were to go turbo after doing this swap so you might look into using an srt ps line. Other than that the pt line fits beautifly, it will be nice not haveing ps lines runner over the top of the engine......using the 1st gen reservour and feed line keeps everything off to the side and behind the head.

Thats about it. I still need to throw the wireing harness on there and start extending the plugs that need it. After that it will be down to the intake mani. Gonna run a 1st gen unit....just re-drilled.

Should be done by this weekend, Ill be sure to take alot more pics and possibly a video for you guys!

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:07 pm

wow honestly this swap seems like eveything just falls into place... either way everything seems to be coming along well, cant wait for more pics/vid this weekend.
ImageImage

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:00 pm

sestormline29 wrote:wow honestly this swap seems like eveything just falls into place... either way everything seems to be coming along well, cant wait for more pics/vid this weekend.
There are a few things that have required a little thought, but thats mostly because I want this to look stock when im done. Today I have concluded that with what i have available, it will definitely be easier to run a 1st gen intake mani due to feed neck locations and such. I already have a complete 1st gen intake so that is what is going to happen. I also finished up the power steering set up. The 1st gen dohc reservoir fit quite nicely and the 1st gen feed hose that leads from the reservoir to the pump fit like it was made for it....keep in mind that the second gen has a different motor mount setup but it still fit perfectly. I also had a chance to lay the wireing harness in and have everything that would plug in connected. Now I just need to get the intake ready to go in so I know where to extend the coolant plug and then all that will be left is to get a valve cover gasket kit.

Then hopefully it will be on the road. :rockon:

neonpla
2GN Member

Post by neonpla » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm just glad we have someone doing something different! good job bro.. what power levels you shooting for?
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4

newlitemotorist
2GN Member

Post by newlitemotorist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:48 am

neonpla wrote:I'm just glad we have someone doing something different! good job bro.. what power levels you shooting for?
My initial goal is just some basic bolt ons. Prabably a lth, better intake manifold, and a 65mm 5.0 throttle body. With the afx-r and that stuff I would be happy if I was getting 160ish to the wheels. My long term goal is 200hp to the wheels with as much torque as possible to follow. I already have a deal going on for a fully ported cylinder head.....that I ported....which also has a full competition valve job which should help out nicely with my goals. Then I will look into some crower 3/4 cams or whatever will provide the highest torque to power ratio.

For now though I just want to get this thing going under its own stock power.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”