Remote Start HELP

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
sxtdude
2GN Member

Remote Start HELP

Post by sxtdude » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 pm

I just bought a remote start system today. It is a system that does door locks and the trunk release as well as the starting capabilites. Even if I bring this into a pro I am still curious. Maybe someone can even write up a how to so that this wont be a problem for anyone in the future. I have searched and found a wiring diagram but I still have some questions:

1. Where is a good place to mount the remote start box? Under the dash where the other keyfob unit is?

2. How to work around the Sentry key? "If" a bypass is best where to buy it?

3. Do you splice into the wires off of the original unit or do remove them from the original unit and put them onto the new one.

4. Mine is built for an automatic so what is the best way to bypass a clutch and still have the switch work when I start it normally if this is possible.

I appreciate any input and if someone has the knowledge and a little time please write up a how to if you wouldnt mind :D

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 am

1. Where is a good place to mount the remote start box? Under the dash where the other keyfob unit is?

under the dash steering columb area or if the wires are long enough run it to the bottom of the center console area

2. How to work around the Sentry key? "If" a bypass is best where to buy it?
theres two ways to do this a more expensive dei cr10(if i remember right) it scans your key remmebers it for install and start. or the 10 dollar way run 18-20 guage wire around it through a relay up to your key cylender this will require you to have a programed key in your dash area

3. Do you splice into the wires off of the original unit or do remove them from the original unit and put them onto the new one.
? you splice the wires off the remote start brain into your vehicle? this question doesnt make sense to me explaion??

4. Mine is built for an automatic so what is the best way to bypass a clutch and still have the switch work when I start it normally if this is possible.
theres agian a cheap way and a pricey way cheap way ground the clutch wire (i think its yellow) its a grounding wire when clutch is pushed in it grounds alowing you to start the car, if you perminitcly ground it you will never have to push the clutch (DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR IN GEAR )
or theres seperate devices that let you do it but are harder to wire and cost more money

PM me if you have any more specific questions i installed these for a year and have done my 2gn with one as well
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

sxtdude
2GN Member

Remote Start

Post by sxtdude » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:07 am

Hey thank you for the quick reply. On that question that you did not understand what I was meaning is since I have the original keyfob reciever in the top of the dash already and that goes to all of the door locks and lights can I tap into those wires with the new unit? Also can you be a little more specific on bypassing using the programmed key: what size of relay? Do yo wrap the wire around the key cylinder I just didn't understand the way that you wrote it sorry. I would pm I would just like others to be able to see this too incase anyone else is doing this. Thanks

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: Remote Start

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 am

sxtdude wrote:Hey thank you for the quick reply. On that question that you did not understand what I was meaning is since I have the original keyfob reciever in the top of the dash already and that goes to all of the door locks and lights can I tap into those wires with the new unit? Also can you be a little more specific on bypassing using the programmed key: what size of relay? Do yo wrap the wire around the key cylinder I just didn't understand the way that you wrote it sorry. I would pm I would just like others to be able to see this too incase anyone else is doing this. Thanks
you tap into into the wires most of the time they will tap into them under your dash to keep all the wires in one area

the relay this is the easy way to do it buy this
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

it cost abotu 50-60 bucks ina retail store dont get ripped off for it its only worth 10-20 bucks it includes everything needed

black box 4 screws holds the key small bundle of wire with fuse power-ground-and signal to the remote start brain the loop is what runs up around the key cylender all these connect to the "key box" then to brain and key cylender[/url]
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 am

or this (from experience these dont work all the time but they do sometimes)
doesnt require the key

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:34 am

Please dont use a system thats not made for a Manual transmission and install it.. You have the potential of seriously hurting or even killing someone. When you remote start the vehicle if it is in gear the vehicle will jump and possibly drive off.

If you are planning on putting a remote start in a Manual I suggest you get one that will SAFELY do that. I recomend Viper units as I install them but there are others.

I know you think you will never leave it in gear well Ive been doing this for years and I did it one time with my daily and it took out my neighbors fence and mailbox. Thank god no one was hurt.

Not trying tobe a jerk just want to give you fair warning. Good luck.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 am

Caraudioholic24 wrote:Please dont use a system thats not made for a Manual transmission and install it.. You have the potential of seriously hurting or even killing someone. When you remote start the vehicle if it is in gear the vehicle will jump and possibly drive off.

If you are planning on putting a remote start in a Manual I suggest you get one that will SAFELY do that. I recomend Viper units as I install them but there are others.

I know you think you will never leave it in gear well Ive been doing this for years and I did it one time with my daily and it took out my neighbors fence and mailbox. Thank god no one was hurt.

Not trying tobe a jerk just want to give you fair warning. Good luck.
i agree if you have one made by directed they sell a attatchment for mtx. for refrence yes the car will move in gear it wont jump and stall ive tested it in a open parking lot with me in the car it starts moving and doesnt stop
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 am

LOL Ive learned that lesson. Believe me. I ran it for years without a screw up then one drunken night I forgot about and wallah 5000 bucks of damage and a pissed off neighbor.

Funny thing is if it does manage to stop and stall it will try two more times before shutting itself down. LOL

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:58 am

Caraudioholic24 wrote:LOL Ive learned that lesson. Believe me. I ran it for years without a screw up then one drunken night I forgot about and wallah 5000 bucks of damage and a pissed off neighbor.

Funny thing is if it does manage to stop and stall it will try two more times before shutting itself down. LOL
rofl yeah luckly i never left mine in gear but i learned to drive Manuel and never leave it in gear.
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 am

LOL thats what I kept telling myself until that one night...........................BAM!!

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:28 am

Starters are some torquey little bitches.

Do it right.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”