MPx Underdrive pulley

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
Lufkom
2GN Member

Post by Lufkom » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:05 am

Too anxious to put it on

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 am

Meh, call them and tell them you installed it, and found that the wrong belts had been sent. And that you needed the car. I'm sure they will let you exchange the belts, or send you replacements. At least you will have spares.

IDK if you send a copy of the receipt if they would refund that $ instead of sending replacements. It is worth a shot, and gives them a chance to redeem themselves. How can you be disappointed in them, if you don't give them a chance to correct the situation. You technically should have called first to see if they would do that, but what's done is done. The cost of impatience. :D

Mancini short shipped me on an order yesterday, and a simple phone call has everything the way it should be. No bashing, and everything is cool. It was a simple honest mistake. Shit happens.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Lufkom
2GN Member

Post by Lufkom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:42 am

Ya I'll have to give them a call

thanks

Marcel
2GN Member

Post by Marcel » Sun May 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi guys!
What are your ideas on this UDP from NeverEnough?
http://neverenoughauto.com/index.php?di ... t_id=61251

They claim it's a MeganRacing part, but it doesn't look like one IMO... Could this be a case of too good to be true?
"If god hates masturbation that much, he should give me a girlfriend"
http://www.sevenstepsofdenial.com
https://www.facebook.com/7StepsOfDenial
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it's too expensive to keep driving" Club #000083

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Pretty sure Megan makes one, but that's unusually cheap. Does it maybe not come with belts?

EDIT:

"Feature:

- Light weight
- Made by Billet Aluminum
- Increase horse power (5-8 more)"

Did an asian person write this?
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Marcel
2GN Member

Post by Marcel » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 pm

you're right, they're delivered without belts, but i doubt two tiny belts make up for the price difference :P dunno about the prices there, but here those would cost about € 15 /$ 20 for both
"If god hates masturbation that much, he should give me a girlfriend"
http://www.sevenstepsofdenial.com
https://www.facebook.com/7StepsOfDenial
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it's too expensive to keep driving" Club #000083

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon May 17, 2010 8:41 pm

They're a reputable shop. I use to live 30min from them and bought 3x. I'd say its legit.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

dutch animal
2GN Member

Post by dutch animal » Tue May 18, 2010 12:33 pm

i bought a lot of bushings from them ... LCA boogers, endlinks, motormount inserts .. all in groupbuys.

i love the shop ... very nice and helpfull people overthere ;)
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000086

r0y
Fresh Fish

Post by r0y » Wed May 26, 2010 9:20 am

Jerome Adams wrote:got one, love it. car revs easier and faster...no noticeable hp gain

you don't gain HP, you free-up HP.

same thing here, got an UR UDP, revs a lil bit smoother, not a big deal, not a big noticeable difference.

04 Mo Neon
2GN Member

Post by 04 Mo Neon » Mon May 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Anyone installed Modern's Improved Version II UDP yet? :quotes:

Panhead
2GN Member

Post by Panhead » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:40 pm

MPx support sucks. 5040500 belt is too big. I don't drive the car often but everytime I start it, the belt squeals or when I need a/c. Tried 2 belts, same number and still the same result. Never gotten a response back about the belt being big. My first product from buying their and will be my last. Bunch of incompetent guys. I give them a rating of 0!

I'll be ditching the UDP and taking a sledge hammer to it. I will be returning to my stock setup where, I know it won't squeal on start up and when I turn the a/c on.
Juice

"There is no "G" in Cummins"

Keep it Mopar, buy Mopar Parts

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Are you sure the alternator belt is tight enough? Only asking because the extra electrical load from the A/C might make it seem like the A/C PS belt is slipping, when it is actually the alternator. Plus you said on start up. That is classic alternator belt; from the load on the battery at start.

I had no issues with belts on my ebay UDP, and they were cheap AutoZone belts. They were the same ones specified for all other UDP's.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Panhead
2GN Member

Post by Panhead » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:44 pm

The ALT belt is tight as it can be. Problem is the auto tensioner is at MAX. Which means is not appling (sp) pressure on the belt. Put a load on it, ie: a/c, it'll squeal.
Juice

"There is no "G" in Cummins"

Keep it Mopar, buy Mopar Parts

Spaz
n00b

Post by Spaz » Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Srry to ressurect such an old topic, just want to try and clarify all the info lol. So UDP+Adams smaller alternater pully+Special UDP belts=awesome results? Info is a little scattered just trying to getter a better understanding lol :tardbang:

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm

yeah I just read the whole thread and still don't know if I should get one or not :S

running a system + a/c all summer
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 01, 2012 2:55 pm

It has no impact on A/C performance. If you run the overdrive pulley for the alternator, you should be fine.

As far as awesome results, it depends on how easily you are impressed. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Re: MPx Underdrive pulley

Post by jacoblindsay » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm looking to get an MPx UDP but I've been reading and some people are saying there's and issues with the 02 Neons. What is the issue exactly? I picked up that the knock/misfire sensor is sensitive or something like that, but why would the UDP cause this sensor to trip the CEL? Is there a way to use an UDP without tripping the CEL on an 02?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Not sure if it was all '02's, or just the RT and ACR's.

Why does it do it? I don't buy into the knock sensor thing, makes zero sense.

My theory with the misfire sensor is this:

The '02 Magnum PCM is more aggressive than the '01 Magnum PCM, because both '01 and '02 Magnum engines have the same power rating, but the '02 has a smaller cam. I think it was also a precursor to the NGC platform in more rigid emission controls.

The UDP removes whatever harmonic cancellations the stock crank pulley provided. So if the crank is oscillating more from the solid pulley being substituted, the crank sensor will see it. If they made the parameters tighter on the misfire detection, then it is going to set a code, and begin flashing the CEL.

Mine progressively got worse, to the point the CEL was flashing at anything over 3900 rpm. I installed a 100 ohm resistor to bypass the fuel sender. This put the fuel gauge at less than 1/8 tank. I no longer got a flashing CEL, but as soon as you keyed off, then started the car either immediately, or the next day/week.whatever, you would get a CEL and the misfire code. Mine would either do P0300, or P0302. Mostly P0302.

There are no symptoms of a misfire.

Given that the fake low fuel reading kept the CEL from flashing, obviously the knock sensor has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, it would still be seeing spark knock, or sense some noise similar to it.

Why did I make the gauge read low you might ask? The PCM will ignore the misfire monitor if the tank is low, to avoid flashing the CEL, or setting a "false code" if the tank is low. But it still set a code, just not as soon as the "fault" was sensed. AFAIK, my false tank reading is as close to anyone ever got to solving the issue. But unfortunately, it was only solved until you started the car again.

As soon as I removed the UDP, and put the original crank pulley back on, there was never again a flashing CEL or misfire code.

To be honest, I really couldn't tell any difference in power, both when I put it on: No noticeable gain, and when I went back to stock: No noticeable loss.

I got more of a seat of the pants gain in throttle response when I installed a new 02 sensor.

The 60mm TB made a far better improvement in throttle response.

Unless you get a UDP for almost free, and don't have to pay to rent any pullers/damper installers it install it, IMHO, it is not worth the hassle and cost.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Must've been a Magnum thing. My old '02 base had zero issues with the UDP. It didn't make a noticeable bump in power for me either.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Return to “Parts/Product Reviews”