sidepipe87: A few overdue updates

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 am

sidepipe87 wrote: Every time I'm done working on it for the day and put it back in the garage it ends up with a little surface rust on it I have to sand off. :sad: .

Humidity is horrible here. Those seats I bought from your brother are starting to mold, sitting in my dam garage, that has a humidifier in it.

Trunk is gonna look tits when it's done though.
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Yeah, the humidity is retarded.

Well I got the rotors from TriNET today. I was excited to g put them on until I saw "Dodge Neon SRT-4 Front brake rotor (2)", "Dodge Neon SRT-4 Rear brake rotor (2)" when I CLEARLY asked the guy for a set of R/T rotors (because I figured they'd get confused that I have rear discs). Well he screwed it up anyway :roll: I sent them a message, I'll see what they say.

EDIT: I contacted the guy and he saw he "boned up" :rofl: my order and said neither set would fit... and he was sending new ones out with a return label. I guess it just shows him different part numbers. I think rear SRT rotors are thicker but it doesn't matter.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:04 pm

Well with the nice weather the past few days I've been tearing away at the trunk hardcore and it's now about 95% done! Just need to fill a few pinholes prime, and seal the whole thing then block it down and it'll be ready for paint finally :smile: There is one high spot that I can feel but it's not terrible and I can't fix it without major work because the fiberglass cloth below is too close to the surface and I don't want it poking through and causing problems.. I called the body shop today to see if I could drop the shit off next week for paint and the lady said she'd ask and call me right back. She never called me back :roll: so I need to call and ask for the painter specifically I guess or I'm taking it to the other place. I don't have time to dick around.

I decided to finally paint the front calipers to match the rear ones which were powdercoated red last year. I planned on getting an extra set for the front and having them done but I never found a set cheap. I yanked the passenger side caliper off the car and knocked the rust off with a wire wheel on a drill as well as the caliper support. I painted it with VHT red caliper paint and I'm pretty impressed, for paint it seems fairly durable. I need to do the driver's side tomorrow.

Also, got my registration sticker in the mail today for Carlisle :smile:

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 pm

pics of said caliper painting?
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Didn't grab any, I'll put a few up tomorrow. It looks pretty good.

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 pm

kind of interested on how the VHT paint turned out
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:00 am

Hurry.
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:02 am

It turned out pretty damn good. The can says it's important to bake it to cure it... I'll toss some weird ass shit on the oven, but nasty ass calipers coated in brake fluid aren't one of them.. They seem just fine unbaked.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:19 am

They'll be fine.
el. oh. el.

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

That's funny, I got my registration and window sticker yesterday too!

Its coming down to the wire now, lol
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:02 pm

The other caliper/caliper support is drying right now. Pics will be up after it's back together.

The trunk should be receiving it's final little bits of glazing and spot putty today and sprayed, sealed and blocked.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Well nothing super exciting, but here's the caliper pics you guys were asking for.

Scuffed them up with a wire wheel on an electric drill first to remove the rust

masked off hub and strut etc.

right after spraying the VHT caliper paint

dried

Dan's log got me thinking so while I was waiting for the paint to cure I started polishing my upper mount. Sanded it with an assortment of papers and used my dremel for a bit and I removed part of the mold line. When I have more time and it's not so hot and humid I'm gonna yank it and do it proper.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Pretty nifty work.

I made my tails! My mom has her camera all set weird, so I couldn't get pics in time before dark. Does this mean I'm not gay since I have black headlights and red tails?
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:30 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:Pretty nifty work.

I made my tails! My mom has her camera all set weird, so I couldn't get pics in time before dark. Does this mean I'm not gay since I have black headlights and red tails?
not gay? Idk. I have no proof your NOT gay, but those are both legit mods. Mods that I would do :thumbup: Ya I got the pic from you while I was at dinner lol

I'm happy with the results. For a can of paint it looks good. I need to go back and double check for leaks then re-bleed the system because even though I bled both wheels after paint the pedal now feels very spongy after bleeding them today.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:34 pm

I've always been weird w/ bleeding brakes and whatnot. Shit scares me.

*As for my sexuality, you stated somewhere "black housing headlights and red tails or Adam is gay."*

Yeah, sorry to interrupt your dinner. Wish your ma a happy birthday from meee!! I saw the VHT stuff today in Ricerzone when I got the tint stuff. Looks about as "epoxy-ish" as the G2 stuff. I'll try the VHT when I bomb my fronts black.
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Ya I had my dad pump the brakes yesterday while I bled, and they were fine after. Today I got my mom to do it and they are shitty. I don't think it was any fault of hers though. I may need new brass washers for where the hard line meets the caliper at the banjo bolt.

haha, I forget fast but I believe it :rofl:

No prob I just didn't wanna respond lol, and will do. It must be some sort of epoxy paint... did it say that on the can? I never looked lolzzz. But it seems quite durable like it is. I'm impressed so far. We'll see how it holds up. Worst case scenario, I'm out whatever I paid for the paint which idk what it was because that was months ago now.

I think you should do yers gold :smile:

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Gold will be the only accent color on this car. I'm in the air about gold wheels because the gloss black looks good, but gold would be nice as well.
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 pm

unfortunately... the black does look good. I hate those wheels. and I hate black wheels but your car looks damn better now. I say leave it for now and Gold calipers FTW. Rear drum FTL?

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:18 pm

The rear drum will be black until I find an affordable rear disc conversion.
el. oh. el.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:51 am

My friend with the EJ8 was saying rear disc conversions for her car is only around $180 bucks with everything. My jaw dropped at how cheap that was. Not sure if that transitions over to your body style or not Adam.

Ryan: Calipers look awesome red, and I'm not a big red caliper fan. Do like :)

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 am

^ Well, I've got an EJ6, and I'm sure that our braking systems are the same from 92-00. There are a TON of rear disk options, I just don't know all of them. I might eventually do it, but it's not a priority.

/Honda blabbing in Wyan's thwead.
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:50 pm

tf are EJ anythings???

anywho, thanks Crystal, I think they look purdy good on my car.

Oh yeah, and $180 is too much. I paid $85 last year for my entire swap excluding new pads and one ebrake cable I needed. Thanks double sausage! :smile:

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:33 pm

- Injector cover has been completely smoothed, took care of the rubber plug area too so those aren't unpainted :wink: and color matched Hemi Orange to the valve cover. I may redo it later since it is not perfect, but it will do for right now. I just want to have it on there.

- Just ordered $200 worth of exhaust parts from Jegs.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Sanded the lettering off the injector cover as well as removing the 4 raised edges above and below the letters. A common issue people run into are the rubber feet that hold the injector cover to the fuel rail. I didn't want them unpainted because that looks tacky and unfinished so I revised them. I popped them out and cut the top portion off of them and stuck them back down in. After that I cut some thin styrene plastic to fit in the oval opening above them and held that in with plastic model cement. this didn't hold super well because I didn't rough up the area first, but no worries. I mixed some 2 part epoxy and filled the openings some with that to stiffen it up. Over the 2 part epoxy went some Bondo Gold and finally I filled some pinholes with Bondo spot and filler putty. After all that I got lazy and didn't sand the plastic completely smooth and just primed it. It has a few sanding scratches in in but for right now it's fine and I'm not worried about it. It's not perfect, but it's mighty average! Finished it off with Dupli-Color Hemi Orange and UPOL clear.

Those pics don't show the flaws, but they're there. It DOES show that it doesn't match the Hemi Orange VC that Brodie says he painted with the same paint... :-k

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Dam, looks nice. I think I may sand mine flat and have Dad redo it OB.

Where can I buy UPOL clear?
All the cheap clear I have always ends up getting milky because of the humidity. Lacquer based shit.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Well I sprayed it real quick outside and took it inside so the humidity wouldn't milk it. I find UPOL kinda hard to work with, but it worked good on these and my mirrors. It fisheyed like a motherfucker on my tails over the niteshades... which I have yet to redo.

I got it somewhere online for like $15 last year. I later found it at a paint supply store near my house so you may want to check if there is one local to you.

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 pm

My tails fucked up both times I cleared them, so I didn't clear them the third time.

Wetsanded them with 1000, then 2000, then used rubbing compound, then polished.
Mirror Finnish.

And no matter what I do with the shitty Walmart clear it milks up. Paint looks shinier before the clear.

Dad told me to flash it with the heat gun quick, but that usually doesn't do the trick. Not with cheap shit.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 pm

What I used to do is hold the can of paint under a stream of hot water, hot to the ouch but not enough to burn you, and then shake it well.

When I redo the tails I'm just going to spray them from inside. It's honestly easier for me to pop em open, mask, spray and stick em back in the oven than try to fuck around with the UPOL on them. I'll do it after I get another set of lights. I just redded out another set that I'll rock for Carlisle.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:01 pm

If you spray them from the inside they'll end up purple looking. Brodie had the VC powdercoated, unless that's a different one?

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Well I only have a light smoke on them right now, so it's really maroon, and I know when I spray them red inside it darkens it up, so I think it may work out how I want it to :smile:

Yeah, I know you had it PC'ed for him, but he said it wasn't a perfect match so he ended up spraying it with Dupli-Color Hemi Orange.. and it doesn't match mine... weird.

Anywayyy, a few updates.

- Got my mufflers in from Jegs today that I ordered yesterday! :shock: Got some free stickers and a free hat too! Still waiting on the rest of the piping

- Got the correct drilled/slotted rotors today, and got them on, re-bled the brakes, and adjusted the ebrake. They are niceeeeeee.

Only took one pic because it's hot as hell, and humid as fuck. I just wanted to be done. They look BEEFY though

and the fail..

- Body shop called today after I'd been trying to get a hld of them. She wants to book me for July 12th for paint. The day AFTER I get back from Carlisle. :rofl: I was trying to get everything done so the trunk could be on the car for the show... looks like that isn't happening. Sorry guys. :sad: I'm not going to any of the other places because they are the cheapest, do good work, and I didn't like the other places. Oh well. It is what it is.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”