How To: blackhousing stock headlights

theTeejmiester
2GN Member

How To: blackhousing stock headlights

Post by theTeejmiester » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

hey guys i just finished doing this last week and i thought i would share it for people on here because i have heard alot of people say that you should not try it with the stock lights and me being the rebel that i am said f-it and did it anyways :rofl:
this is my first how to so bear with me,and do not hold me responsible if you screw up your headlights.do it at your own risk

ok so here we go;first do not try to use a oven to soften the glue holding the lens to the housing,the only thing you will do is melt the plastic,trust me on this one.
so what we do insted is use a dremel motor tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the lens away from the housing.dont panick.its not that hard to do properly.

you want to start cutting as far away from the face of the lens as possible.i kept mine as close to the seam of glue as i could

working slowly,very slowly. cut all the way around the lens.and then gently pull the lens away from the housing,it may take a lil effort cause the lens has a way of melting itself back together and you do no want to force it.it is very easy to crack the lens by rushing

this is how it should look at this stage

at the top of the inner head light surround there is two small tabs holding it to the main housing.i dont have pictures cause i was lazy but you will see what i mean.cut them with your cutoff disk and pull it apart

now it should look like this

now its the fun part,sanding and painting
i found out that the chrome on these lights can be removed by a good sanding with 320 grit paper and some acetone.forgive me here but none of the pictures turned out good enough topost so ill describe what i did next and you should be able to follow along easy enough;after the chrome was fully stripped and sanded,i cleaned it with dish soap and warm water.from this stage on i used disposible gloves whenever i touched any part of the head light to avoid finger oils and prints on the inside of the housing/lens.and sprayed duplicolor highbuild primer on the headlight surround,after letting it dry for around a half hour i then sprayed some duplicolor universal black auto paint in three light coats.followed by three light coats of the duplicolor clear wheel coating.i like the wheel coating cause it does not seem to be as brittle and yellow like most rattle canned stuff.i do have a shop set up with spray guns ect,but i wanted to keep this simple.after letting the surrounds dry over night i cleaned up the extra melted plastic on the lens with a razor blade and a little time,and then washed the lenses in dish soap once again wearing gloves to avoid finger prints,after they had dried a fit the now black surrounds to the housing to make sure it all lined up properly.after being satisfied with the look i fit the lens over the surround/housing.it is a little tricky to get it back on without scratching the surround but trust me it can be done.i did not bother to sucure the surround because it makes it alot easer to fit the lens if it is not.and once thens is on it wont move at all.now use some clear sealant to glue/seal the lens back up,i used some sealant that i had lying around that was very thick.i cannot remember the name of the product for some damn reason but you can find many plastic repair kits in autozone ect that will work.i will try to find the name and part number for the sealent that i used this weekend.use alot of it to make sure that there will not be any leaks and let it dry for a day or two.at this point remember no matter how shitty it looks the seam will be covered with the headlight gasket.this is what it should look like

i hope this helped to give an idea of how to do this ,i am sure there is alot that i forgot to mention but please feel free to ask.i will post more pictures soon. :thumbup:
Ziptie's come in handy when a prostitute gets mouthy or reluctant
*eye twitches*
I like people who BUY a 10 sec car and then brag about it. Thats like hiring someone to bang your wife and then bragging about the kid

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:36 am

Nice i wanna color match mine this got me thinking
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 pm

ok, this is perfect...and thank you for proving my point about the headlights, i got shot down for it lol
Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:They left a pry bar? Well get the prints like they do on CSI, and track those fuckers down. Then cap them.
grindpunk16 wrote: You and about 2 dozen other folks want that cover. It came with the car, and it's all mine.. :twisted: :bootyshake: \:D/

theTeejmiester
2GN Member

Post by theTeejmiester » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 pm

^^ lol.its not hard at all to do if ya take your time.if anyone has any questions pm me,i am going to take some more pics this weekend to finish my how to.been realy buisy :thumbup:
*eye twitches*
I like people who BUY a 10 sec car and then brag about it. Thats like hiring someone to bang your wife and then bragging about the kid

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

DoubtedNeon wrote:ok, this is perfect...and thank you for proving my point about the headlights, i got shot down for it lol
we said you couldn't heat them. never said anything about not being able to cut them :lol:
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Well done man! I expect to see a slew of color matched headlamps running around soon. :D
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

soul_sword34
2GN Member

Post by soul_sword34 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Hmmmm....oven worked for me :rockon:
Project Log viewtopic.php?t=27630
MP 60mm TB, K&N filter, Magnaflow muffler, Deyeme solid torque struts, MTX 3.55, Kyle shift end links, Booger bushings, Mopure STS, Powerslot rotors, 15" Rota Slipstreams, Falken Ziex 512's, Koni Yellow inserts, Hotchkis sways, Eibach pro springs. Work in progress.

wiggyx
2GN Member

Post by wiggyx » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:01 am

Oven. 250° for 15 minutes. They pry apart with relative ease. I've had no issues using this method on the last 10 lamps I pulled apart. Re-sealing them using the cutoff method is nearly impossible and it looks sloppy.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Is that with OEM lamps or aftermarket units?
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 pm

This how to is for original dodge headlights. Aftermarket lights are possible to open with the oven-method.

theTeejmiester
2GN Member

Post by theTeejmiester » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:29 pm

wiggyx wrote:Oven. 250° for 15 minutes. They pry apart with relative ease. I've had no issues using this method on the last 10 lamps I pulled apart. Re-sealing them using the cutoff method is nearly impossible and it looks sloppy.
nope not impossible to seal,and mine look great,ill take close ups.i used a black sealant and took my time,one light fogged up just after i did them but then i took it out and found a small pinhole i forgot about, no problems at all.i have asked everyone i know to see if they could tell that i had cut it open and no one could,i even had one person tell me that i was jerking there chain,just take your time and do not rush anything and they will come out fine,it only looks sloppy when you do a sloppy job :thumbup:
*eye twitches*

mr_mopar_neon
2GN Member

Post by mr_mopar_neon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 am

looks cool and been thinking about doing my headlights the same kind of.

great work on the write up but the only thing am thinking is have you had any problems with the paint getting to hot from the bulbs and flaking of?
14's are a'coming

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 am

never.

mr_mopar_neon
2GN Member

Post by mr_mopar_neon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Jenni wrote:never.
thats sounds good to me

thanks buddy
14's are a'coming

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Great write-up. I might attempt this once it warms up and I have my black housings in. So I won't have to worry if I mess up.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Sat May 15, 2010 2:05 am

I kinda want to bump this up as the pics don't work... you still got the pictures?

I've heard some say heat can work on oem headlights.. .some say they don't.

I kind of want to black mine out but don't want to dremel them..lol
-John

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Sat May 15, 2010 2:20 am

i wanna get a new set of lights and do this too, itll work on the 00-02s too right???

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat May 15, 2010 10:16 am

John, I see the ~5 pictures he posted haha.

Aaron, it should work the same. OE headlights will need to be cut like his though. They wont come apart in just the oven.
el. oh. el.

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Sat May 15, 2010 10:48 am

Yea its working for me today... hrm
-John

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 am

Bumping this, as I am interested in doing a OEM black out on both my 1st and 2nd gen.

-So, its 100% negative on using original OEM headlights in the oven?
-Also, why paint aftermarket.. they still make the OEM style blacked out ones dont they? (and by "they" I mean DEPO or Ebay specials.)
-last but not least, anyone know if 1st gen OEMs will come apart in oven?
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]
Formerly Of Warner Robins/Bonaire, Ga
aaaw no son, not a bacon slice!!

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 am

- more like 80% but almost impossible
- yes they do. just decide: spent 120$ for a new set or 5$ for paint and some work. but if your headlights are yellowish - better buy a new set
- 1gen used the same gorillaglue. no chance in the oven. be carefull with them cause the inhousing = the reflector! there is no extra bezel to paint like in the 2gen and 2003+ headlights!

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Jenni wrote:- more like 80% but almost impossible
- yes they do. just decide: spent 120$ for a new set or 5$ for paint and some work. but if your headlights are yellowish - better buy a new set
- 1gen used the same gorillaglue. no chance in the oven. be carefull with them cause the inhousing = the reflector! there is no extra bezel to paint like in the 2gen and 2003+ headlights!
Theres no way I'm going to be able to seal those fuckers back up lol
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]

nate-00neon
2GN Member

Post by nate-00neon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Mr Josh Zombie wrote:
DoubtedNeon wrote:ok, this is perfect...and thank you for proving my point about the headlights, i got shot down for it lol
we said you couldn't heat them. never said anything about not being able to cut them :lol:
why cant you heat them? my friend has done it on several different headlights. what does lsp do for her retros?

and if i have aftermarket headlights would the oven work for me? i think i got mine from MP

^^Click to see all of the offered products^^

Amsoil dealer. I can get you great prices on all amsoil products! send me a pm

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:29 am

lsp uses aftermarket headlights like all the other retrofit people.
and for other car brands: not every company uses the dodge glue, some headlights come apart very easy...

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 am

anybody who says that it's not possible to do stock headlights in the oven is wrong. i can tell you from personal experience that it IS possible. i color matched mine like 2 years ago.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 am

I imagine it's like the TYC replacements I bought for retros. Got them cheap from rockauto. They uses a hard sealant just like OEM, not one that softens in the oven like DEPO. Yeah... they were nearly impossible to get apart in the oven and I destroyed the headlight housing getting them apart. It's not really an issue it will still seal fine but it doesn't look pretty. It took me 3 separate 15-20 min sessions with some high heat to even be able to pry them apart. Luckily the lenses didn't craze.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:42 am

sidepipe87 wrote:I imagine it's like the TYC replacements I bought for retros. Got them cheap from rockauto. They uses a hard sealant just like OEM, not one that softens in the oven like DEPO. Yeah... they were nearly impossible to get apart in the oven and I destroyed the headlight housing getting them apart. It's not really an issue it will still seal fine but it doesn't look pretty. It took me 3 separate 15-20 min sessions with some high heat to even be able to pry them apart. Luckily the lenses didn't craze.
fuck gorilla glue. IM OUT!
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]

MrAngry
2GN Member

Post by MrAngry » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Hudson_Neon wrote:anybody who says that it's not possible to do stock headlights in the oven is wrong. i can tell you from personal experience that it IS possible. i color matched mine like 2 years ago.
I agree, completely possible! :rockon: Just look in my sig.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:38 pm

are you serious dude? that's a fucking toyota or something in your sig... nothing like comparing apples to fruitcakes...
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

MrAngry
2GN Member

Post by MrAngry » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Hey let's be an ass, I've had 3 neons in my day and still own one, its all the same dude.

Return to “HT Exterior”