Puzzled by a possible problem

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
NeonFlash
2GN Member

Puzzled by a possible problem

Post by NeonFlash » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm

I just put in a 55 watt 6K hid kit with the harness setup,Ok so here's the problem when I turn on the hid's the stereo shuts off for a split second or less and I mean real fast shut off,Please any idea would be helpful.Thanks all in advanced
IT TAKE'S A MOPAR TO CATCH A MOPAR

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 am

Need some more info;
Is the car running?
What other electronics are on?
After-market or factory radio?

It sounds like your radio is doing a low voltage shut off. If you have a multi meter then check the batteries voltage when you turn the lights on and see if it drops below 9ish volts. If it does then turn the car on and try turning the lights on. While the car is running and you turn the lights on the cars battery shouldn't drop too much below 13.6 volts. If it does then you have a whole different problem (bad alternator, loose timing belt, etc).
I know when I turn my 35w hid's on they make a high pitch whine through my speakers that I have been trying to get rid of forever.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
Dabuh wrote: This is after an accident as you can see;
Oh yes, I can see the accident. The big, tall, scaffolding accident.
No No...that's his shopping cart handle...lol
ROFL!!!

NeonFlash
2GN Member

Post by NeonFlash » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Ok the car is running when this happens my volt meter is showing 13.60 to 13.68 with everything off and 13.70 to 13.80 with everything on I just had to replace the battery about a mouth ago had a load test done at a shop about the same time I put the new battery in and it tested ok I do have a kenwood stereo & a 300 watt amp, And that's it no other electronics

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Ok those voltages look good (a little high for the car not running but thats ok).

If you have an after-market stereo in there I would question the ground. If your radio is not grounded properly and is grounded through the antenna then it could be close enough to the headlight ground to be causing a ground loop issue and shutting your radio off.

Some one correct me if I am wrong but there were two ways the neon was grounded behind the radio, the metal strap with a ring that was bolted to the back of a radio. And the more likely one, a black wire with a black connector on it that clipped onto the back of the radio.

Make sure your black wire from the after-market radio is attached to this black wire. If it is not then you do not have a quality ground. If this wire is missing then attach it to the metal behind the radio with a self tapping screw.

I am sorry if this feels like a wild goose chase but these type of issues are not easy to troubleshoot.

Last question. Does your radio ALWAYS shut off when you turn on the headlights? If not then does the radio have a detachable face? If it does (most radios do) then try cleaning the contacts with a tiny bit of alcohol.

*EDIT* I just re read your post. Your voltage isn't high I didn't realize the car was running in both situations.

*Edit x2*
Does your radio presets and clock reset after the radio turns back on?

If it does;
Put your multi meter on the black wire (if it is attached to the other black wire, otherwise follow instructions above and check problem again) and yellow wire behind the radio and turn the headlights on and off and see if the meter drops below 9ish volts when the radio flickers off.

If it doesn't;
Put your multi meter on the black wire and the red wire and again turn the headlights on and make sure you look at the meter to see if it drops like stated previously.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
ROFL!!!

nineball
2GN Member

Post by nineball » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 pm

it is only grounded via the wire.

NeonFlash
2GN Member

Post by NeonFlash » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Well it appears that it does not reset the radio because it happens so fast also I have it grounded thru the factory wiring harness using the stereo install kit,Now as for when it does it seems do be intermittent past 1000 rpm but happens more at idle,I think I'm going to have the alternator amp output checked to see if it's putting out 85 amps like its suppose to under load, Could that be possible also not enough amps?

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:29 am

It is possible, but that was the point of testing the voltage drop when your HID turn on. If this dropped to like 8.9 volts for even a slit second that would be the cause of the issue.

You could try to re run the acc constant and ground wires and this may solve the problem but its possible that it wont do anything for you at all. That would be the next step that I would take anyway.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
ROFL!!!

NeonFlash
2GN Member

Post by NeonFlash » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:44 am

Ok I will try again to check voltage its just a little difficult to check because it happens so fast and seems that the sound is the only thing being effected not the display or the clock or lighting on the head unit,Let me throw this idea out there could I be getting electrical interference of some type from the HID kit that only effects the audio only? because the car runs great no power loss at all when I turn on the radio & the HID's

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:13 am

NeonFlash wrote:.. seems that the sound is the only thing being effected not the display or the clock or lighting on the head unit,Let me throw this idea out there could I be getting electrical interference of some type from the HID kit that only effects the audio only? ...
Well I was picturing that the radio face blinks off and the audio does the same not just the audio shutting off.

Is your amp powering your door and deck lid speakers or is it just powering a sub?

It could be interference but I doubt it. If you have a phone that takes video do you want to upload it, (if its to much trouble don't worry about it)? Have it pointing at the radio/climate controls and have the volume of the stereo up. I am hoping to see/hear for the audio to turn off when the climate control lights turn on (they should turn on close enough together).
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
ROFL!!!

NeonFlash
2GN Member

Post by NeonFlash » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

The amp is only running the sub as for my camera phone its broke I'm waiting for a new one,I will try some more test this weekend,I don't thinks its anything to serious at this point just a little annoying,(P.S I had a 35 watt 6K hid kit with the harness before and it never did what its doing now that's is why its so puzzling to me)

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm

If thats the only thing that changed it has to be with the power increase.

GL keep us in the loop. :thumbup:
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
ROFL!!!

NeonFlash
2GN Member

Post by NeonFlash » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:02 am

I think I Discovered whats happening it also does it when the engine is off I believe that the 55 watt hid kit I put in is pulling so many amps when its first turned on that its effecting the radio in that manner it appears I may need a higher output battery or ?(P.S I'll feel real stupid if that's all it is that I need a better battery LOL)

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 am

Thats a good thought. If the battery is not dipping while the car is running then I think you could have a different issue (new high output alternator), but if it is dropping while off a bigger battery could help.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
ROFL!!!

NeonFlash
2GN Member

Post by NeonFlash » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 am

Well I think your right Dabuh about a bad ground at the stereo I found that the antenna wire was cut and spliced back together with tape only(I did not do it)I talked to a shop tech and he seems to agree with you that the problem is a bad ground causing radio interference from the HID's because it's only effecting the audio on the stereo,Thank you for your help when I can I will replace the antenna and I will post the results

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 am

Sounds good, glad you found the problem. The antenna wires are easily replaced. They connect to the outside at the passenger kick panel inside the car, so you could probably just head over to a junk yard and get a new one. hardest thing is prolly gonna be taking out the glove box (if you even have to).
I've had luck in the past with soldering this wire back together but wouldn't do it now cuz it so easy to replace.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
ROFL!!!

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”